Sign in with
Your question

PC Upgrade

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 18, 2012 1:38:39 PM

Hi All,

I have a Dell Inspiron 530, and it has the standard foxconn g33m02, and my standard Core 2 Duo E4500, I am wanting to change that CPU to a Core 2 Quad Q6600, this one here to be precise:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ite...

Just wondered if you guys think this would be okay? I cant see any reasons personally why it wouldn't be. I have just upgraded to 4GB RAM and already have a 480W power supply. If this is okay i shall buy and install it along with Windows 7 and that will be my upgrades done.

Thanks.

More about : upgrade

a b à CPUs
April 18, 2012 1:59:04 PM

SO you just want to upgrade your CPU?, i will have to check but you may need to get a new mother board, Because unless you can access the BIOS, the BIOS should be locked. Since most boards from 775 are deactivated, i would advice perhapds getting a Micro ATX P67/Z68/or Micro ATX Z77, and perhaps a Core i3, i havnt checked recently but i am pretty sure a Core i3 is a better upgrade than a Core 2 duo to a Core 2 quad.... Trust me your system will love having better components. And suprisingly its not that expensive to do.
April 18, 2012 1:59:51 PM

I've had experience with upgrading my processor on an older dell computer, and the motherboard refused to accomodate the voltage, timings, and fsb frequency to run it, and obviously I couldn't set it myself.
I would just wait to buy something newer.
April 18, 2012 2:07:53 PM

Let me know what you find please :) 
!