PC Upgrade

Hi All,

I have a Dell Inspiron 530, and it has the standard foxconn g33m02, and my standard Core 2 Duo E4500, I am wanting to change that CPU to a Core 2 Quad Q6600, this one here to be precise:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130681643870&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123#ht_500wt_1413

Just wondered if you guys think this would be okay? I cant see any reasons personally why it wouldn't be. I have just upgraded to 4GB RAM and already have a 480W power supply. If this is okay i shall buy and install it along with Windows 7 and that will be my upgrades done.

Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about upgrade
  1. SO you just want to upgrade your CPU?, i will have to check but you may need to get a new mother board, Because unless you can access the BIOS, the BIOS should be locked. Since most boards from 775 are deactivated, i would advice perhapds getting a Micro ATX P67/Z68/or Micro ATX Z77, and perhaps a Core i3, i havnt checked recently but i am pretty sure a Core i3 is a better upgrade than a Core 2 duo to a Core 2 quad.... Trust me your system will love having better components. And suprisingly its not that expensive to do.
  2. I've had experience with upgrading my processor on an older dell computer, and the motherboard refused to accomodate the voltage, timings, and fsb frequency to run it, and obviously I couldn't set it myself.
    I would just wait to buy something newer.
  3. Let me know what you find please :)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core