Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Arctic Silver 5 vs Arctic Cooling MX-4

Last response: in Components
April 18, 2012 3:04:50 PM

I recently bought a new cpu cooler that says it works best with Arctic Cooling MX-4. I accidentally got Arctic Silver 5. Should I bother replacing the AS5 with MX-4, or will I get basically the same results? Also, I won't be overclocking.

Best solution

April 18, 2012 3:31:01 PM

Use the Silver 5, it's better than MX4.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermal-Compound...
April 18, 2012 4:14:15 PM

Yes AS 5.
But for only 2 C (under load) it really would have made NO diff for a NON-OCed system.
m
l
Related resources
April 18, 2012 7:46:05 PM

Best answer selected by precursoris.
m
l
April 18, 2012 8:21:12 PM

I love hardwaresecrets lol, they tested butter, mayonnaise, chocolate, and toothpaste for thermal compound hahaha.
m
l
July 6, 2013 5:51:33 AM

Very late reply for anyone considering both pastes.

It really makes no difference. Some benchmarks show AS5 as cooler and some show MX4 as cooler. With any top-thermal paste any difference is due to your application method. Therefore, if you prefer the line method, use AS5. If you prefer the small pea/grain of rice method, use MX4 (my preferred method).
m
l
July 6, 2013 6:14:11 AM

I used both and had better temps with MX4.
m
l
September 25, 2013 2:23:29 PM

precursoris said:
I recently bought a new cpu cooler that says it works best with Arctic Cooling MX-4. I accidentally got Arctic Silver 5. Should I bother replacing the AS5 with MX-4, or will I get basically the same results? Also, I won't be overclocking.

I would follow the directions and use the MX4. Personally don't care what someone's tests with a bunch of charts and numbers say. I've been building computers / laptops and repairing them for 10 years and I started out using AS5. Until I had to replace my thermal paste on my own CPU every so often and it would take 25 Q tips with Artic silver cleaning solution (or you could just google or look on eBay for any TIM cleaner containing Delemone, I got a bottle of ASKE TIM cleaner with the same stuff, about 4 times as much, for less than the artic silver cleaner, you don't need the purifier bottle of solution, just use rubbing alcohol and make sure all the delemone is off the CPU before you apply thermal paste) because AS5 has a 200 hour burn in time, they tell you that themselves, so don't throttle your CPU or GPU until 200 hours passes by?? Ya right. Just use MX4 which I've always gotten an as low if not lower temperature ALWAYS, every single time. Because it's not super thick with bits of silver in it (oh yeah by the way, if you get any AS5 on one of those outside metal chips on your CPU and it touches the middle heat pad, you will burn up your processor or GPU). Stick with the non conductive MX4 which every time I've researched it or spoke about this with 99% of people say they use MX4, TUNIQ, and even MX2. I would research it though if you don't believe me. There were a bunch of people on another forum talking about IC Diamond 7 was the best thermal paste in the world. Then after I bought some and realized there were huge chunks of the so called diamond bits in my tube (this happened to many other people to) I stopped listening to people and just try a small amount out on a DEAD or OLD CPU until you get used to laying it. Just hope you didn't make the mistake of putting a ton on. All you need is enough to equal to rice grains to cover a desktop CPU.
m
l
!