Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe Mother Board

j3rkface

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013
Hey everyone,

So I'm building myself a new rig and its been a long time since I've done this. I've done quit a bit of research and I'm getting close to the buy. Here's what I'm looking at so far...

i7 3770k
GTX 670 Sli (2x)
Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
Corsair Vengeance 16gb (2x8gb) DDR3 1600MHz
SSD Undecided which. I'll take some recommendations though

So I'm looking for some feedback on the Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe. Reviews have sounded really good. It sounds like it will support all the my other components, but if anyone catches anything that wouldn't work well, please let me know. I'd like to make sure it wont bottle neck the rest of my system, it will be a good motherboard that will allow some good upgrades down the road. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
SSD you can get Samsung, Intel, Kingston, Corsair or OCZ. My suggestion is try and find Samsung 830 series since they are barely behind the 840 Pro and are priced to sell. Motherboard, you can get something cheaper like ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 or Gigabyte Z77-HD4 and you will be fine. You don't need that expensive mobo for anything. And you just need 8GB of RAM since it's more than enough. Make sure your RAM that you buy is low profile if you are going to buy an air cooler like Evo 212 or Noctua-DH 14 or something along those lines. Cheers

j3rkface

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013
Thanks for the fast replies!! This is great help. I'll take a look at the motherboards that have been recommended. I was going to go with the P8Z77-V Deluxe just because I thought it would last me longer down the road as i update my graphics card, cpu etc. But maybe I should rethink that.

Also, thanks a bunch for the SSD recommendations, I really don't know much about them, but that will give me some great direction.

So a few questions in response to what you guys have recommended so far.

1. Stickman, this question may seem dumb but what do you mean "extra IO". I guess I don't know what IO stands for :) thanks
2. As far as memory, 8gigs should be enough for this build? How do you determine that. Not that I doubt your right, I just would like some more insight for my own.
3. Would this be consider low profile memory? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TG8QRW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
4. Since you guys have been super helpful I hope you dont mind me throwing an additional question out there. What kind of power supply should I look at for this rig. I was thinking a 750w should be enough, but If I want to overclock my CPU down the road or even just make sure i have room for additional hardware/upgrades should I be looking at something a bit bigger? I admit, I haven't done my homework before I have asked this question, but it is much easier to ask and get some direction first! :)

You guys have been great, thanks a bunch for the help!!

EDIT: Oh! One more question. hero1, since you mention getting air cooler for my CPU I'd actually love some suggestions for those as well. I haven't started research in that area yet either. Im getting the 3770k with the plan to overclock at some point, probably not riht away because I am just getting use to this again (last build was 2004). But I don't need anything crazy, just a good air cooler that will allow for some good overclocking. I don't need water cooled or anything. My understanding is that you can do plenty of Overclocking with air cooled :)

IO is extra input output, like esata, even more USB3, firewire, thunderbolt etc

I would consider a gigabyte z77x ud3h if you don't need those extras

8 gigs is because most programs still can't use more than 4 and 8 is enough for games and you can always get more later

Most low profile ram is actually just normal profile except some that are actually half-size, so yeah that is "low" profile ram

750W is enough for CFX/SLI +CPU OC, 850 is pretty generous

I would get the Hyper 212 EVO for budget or the Noctua NH-D14 for the best cooler