Sign in with
Your question

4 hours in, Still trying to get Triple crossfire to work. Please Help!

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Crossfire
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 9, 2011 7:40:02 AM

Hey there.

Just bought a third xfx 5850 for BF3, And i've been trying for several hours to get this thing to work

Specs: i5 2500k, 2x2G of Hyperx Ram, Asus p8p67 pro

For a long time I couldn't even get the 3rd card recognised, but now I have from swapping the adapter bridges around.

ATM the 3rd card is recognised by device manager/asi afterburner/CCC but I can't enable it. When I select 'enable crossfire' it enables the first two cards but the 3rd card reads as disabled in CCC, and at o% GPU use in MSI.

Presently my driver configuration should be perfect (reinstalled4-5 times now), the latest one being uninstall drivers, restart in safe mode, run driver sweeper, restart in normal mode, reinstall drivers, restart.

Pretty sure my mobo is set up right, I've enabled the PCI3_3 port to run in 4x mode.

Looked through lots of threads/help things, not coming up with any solutions.

More about : hours triple crossfire work

November 9, 2011 8:07:11 AM

From what I can remember (Don't have my 6970's set up atm) you should have an option in CCC to enable crossfire and Trifire using a drop down menu.

Do all cards work on their own?

Do both crossfire bridges work?

What PSU are you using?
m
l
November 9, 2011 8:35:52 AM

If/when you get it work, please bench it and report back. I'd like to know if three cards in 4x mode are any faster then two cards in 8x.
m
l
Related resources
November 9, 2011 1:25:44 PM

Overview of the ASUS P8P67 Pro Motherboard

I guess I'm wondering that motherboard even supports Tri-CrossfireX. The image at the bottom of the overview specifically shows only the top two PCI-Ex16 slots as SLI/Crossfire capable (advertised as Quad-GPU SLI/CrossfireX Support). In other words, it only supports two dual-GPU cards, not three cards in Tri-CrossfireX.

-Wolf sends
m
l
November 9, 2011 1:50:24 PM

If so its time to RTFM and see if it can do three cards. If it only supports the two slots, trifire can be done by using a 5850 and a 5970. It's probably time to sell those 5850s and get a 69xx.
m
l
November 9, 2011 2:01:51 PM

I will buy that extra 5850 off of you. I need a dx11 card for a temporary upgrade to my 4870.
m
l
November 9, 2011 6:11:14 PM

Rustyy117 said:
From what I can remember (Don't have my 6970's set up atm) you should have an option in CCC to enable crossfire and Trifire using a drop down menu.

Do all cards work on their own?

Do both crossfire bridges work?

What PSU are you using?

I'm using an 800W CM silent gold pro, so should be no problems there.
Pretty sure both bridges work - i've been using them for my dual card setup for a while now. Could try swapping another one in.
I guess I'm assuming the third card works - it is recognised by msi etc, and it does run/show a clock/ changes fan speeds if it heats up etc. The cards/case are an absolute bitch to move, so i'm loathe t start movign them all around before I have to.

As for the drop down menu i haven't seen one. In my CCC it just as "enable" and "disable" options, and then a button to apply.
m
l
November 9, 2011 6:14:14 PM

Wolfshadw said:
Overview of the ASUS P8P67 Pro Motherboard

I guess I'm wondering that motherboard even supports Tri-CrossfireX. The image at the bottom of the overview specifically shows only the top two PCI-Ex16 slots as SLI/Crossfire capable (advertised as Quad-GPU SLI/CrossfireX Support). In other words, it only supports two dual-GPU cards, not three cards in Tri-CrossfireX.

-Wolf sends

I'm sure they can. I have seen numerous instances of it. Here's a link to a Toms hardware article where they use this very board to compare p67/p67+nf200/x58 in triple crossfire.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p67-gaming-3-way-sl...
m
l
November 9, 2011 6:17:10 PM

stingstang said:
I will buy that extra 5850 off of you. I need a dx11 card for a temporary upgrade to my 4870.

I'd be willing to sell, but unless you live in Aus/NZ the shipping is probably too much.
m
l
November 9, 2011 6:21:09 PM

I could be wrong but I don't think your motherboard supports 3 or more separate cards in SLI/CFX

"(single at x16 or dual at x8/x8 mode)
x PCIe 2.0 x16 2 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 * [Black] (max. at x4 mode, compatible with PCIe x1 and x4 devices)
2 x PCIe 2.0 x 1
2 x PCI
*The PCIe x16_3 slot shares bandwidth with PCIe x1_1 slot, PCIe x1_2 slot, USB3_34 and ESATA12. The PCIe x16_3 runs at x1 mode by default for system resource optimization.(PCIe x1_2 will be disabled.)"

The above doesn't specify lane bandwidth when three graphics cards are installed which would suggest it doesn't support 3 separate cards.
m
l
November 9, 2011 8:26:22 PM

All right seemed to have solved the issue - faulty crossfire adapter.

and to everyone yes crossfire will work on this board - though optimisation is an issue. I'm certainly running bf3 better than i was with two cards but not as well as i would like. In addition, the boards never get above about 60% usage which isn't great. Possibly i'm running into a vram bottle neck as i only have 1 gb shared accross the boards.

at the moment, everything maxed with msaa off, everything runs fine at 60 fps until i random get a huge spike - gpus go both up and down in %, frame drops to 1. happens when i do things like swtich to thermal vision in the tanks. rather odd.
m
l
November 9, 2011 11:54:43 PM

The board in that article is different then the board linked to earlier.

Not sure you have a vram issue. Three cards in 4x might have something to do with it.
m
l
November 17, 2011 9:08:07 AM

quite possibly. but have it working fine now. running bf3, everything maxed but MSAA at 60fps (sometimes gets down to 40-550 depending on whats going on) turns out msaa is a bitch/known issue
m
l
November 17, 2011 9:54:50 AM

Next time think about buying more ram than a third gpu
m
l
!