Mobo issue maybe

terdferguson

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Posted this one other place, but thought this was a relevant question.

Alright all here's the specs.

Intel i3770k at 4200 mhz
asrock extreme6
no gpu yet
8 gb corsair vengeance

You'll notice I didn't list the power supplies...

So the build started with a corsair hx750. PC would power off randomly. No blue screen, just off. It would take a few times pushing the power button to restart and I would often have to hit the power switch on the PSU itself a few times. PC would not wake from sleep, but would turn off instead.

So, I was at the store the other day and I bought a new antec 550 cheapy thing to see if I could solve the problem. This psu had a cpu power cable that was two 4pin connectors that could fit together in one 8 pin slot. I tried the 8 pin first and nothing. Then on a whim I tried just on of the 4 pins and it worked. Sort of, had trouble after powering down. Couldn't replicate my results.

Next I went and pulled the old no name psu out of my asus desktop. It only has a 4 pin connector. IT WORKS EVERY TIME.

Could this be a mobo issue? Is it possible that half the cpu power connector is burned out? Both expensive psu's that have 8 pin connectors dont work at all, but one 4 pin works sometimes and the really cheap 4pin works all the time. What's going on?