Problems with 6990 possible defect?

zonefree

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Hey

i need some help to know if my gfx card "asus 6990" is working correctly or not.

when i run different programs it seems like that the 2nd GPU is not working. I can see there is one but it doesnt seem like it is running correctly judging from my score in several benchmark programs.

my old card was GTX 570 and my fps is the same with the new 6990 and when i take test in "Heaven DX11 Benchmark" its the same as the old card and the score is nearly the same.

when i use the GPU-Z it seems like the 2nd gpu is a bit wierd, cause sometimes is shows its bandwith running at 814 gb/s and the core clock running at 0 mhz.

I suspect the gfx card of being broken in some way, but it doesnt seem to run badly at all, just not as good as other peoples cards that i have seen benchmark results from online.

The card is brand spanking new, so it is wierd that something would be wrong with it, and i didnt overclock it one least bit yet.

If anyone can enlighten me on why this is happening, i would be glad.

My system specs are:

CPU: Core I7 960 4,1 ghz
MB: Asus rampage III Extreme
Ram: corsair 16 GB 1600mhz
HD: SSD 120 gb
PSU: 1000 W Corsair HX
GPU: Asus 6990

Sounds to me like the second GPU is dead or faulty, I'd recommend downloading MSI Afterburner, run this whilst running a benchmark, MSI Afterburner will record the GPU's usage so you'll be able to see if its working at all.

zonefree

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

hey and thanks for the reply i tried the MSI afterburner and it was kinda hard to see the hardware monitoring for the 2nd GPU... it simply just showed the first GPU's hardware monitor even if i selected the 2nd GPU. See the screenshots i attatched:)

this one is the first gpu:
gpu1z.jpg

this one is the second gpu:
gpu2x.jpg

zonefree

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
no i was not runing any benchmark at the same time but when i look at my performance in BF3 i only get 45 Fps which is lower than my old card "GTX 570"
but again my GPU-Z looks very wierd

2nd GPU from GPU-Z i don´t understand it? or dos it look like this for every card?

gpu2noneload.th.png]
[/URL]

once again thanks:D

Warmacblu

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Sounds to me like a driver issues, especially since you switched from an nVIDIA card.

By the way, why did you switch to an HD 6990 instead of putting another GTX 570 in SLi?

Did you uninstall the NVIDIA driver and run a driver cleaner like the freeware utility Guru3D - Driver Sweeper before installing the Radeon HD 6990 and the Catalyst driver?