Sign in with
Your question

Hard disk not working after computer upgrade

Last response: in Systems
January 6, 2012 10:59:48 PM

Today i put some new parts in my new case, such as a video card, cpu, power supply, but i wanted to use the hard disk from my old computer, because it has windows installed on it. Im sure ive connected everything right, but when it try to turn the computer on i get the blue screen.

Do you guys have any idea how to fix thise problem.

Thanks in advance!
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
January 7, 2012 1:03:47 AM

You need to reinstall Windows to get rid of the blue screens.

- Edit - A little background info, during a Windows install, a lot of files get created that are designed specifically to work with a certain motherboard and not with others. When you change motherboards, this breaks the setup and causes blue screens nearly every time.

I have heard of one case where someone was able to avoid blue screens with a replaced motherboard, but only from the same maker and almost the exact same kind of board too.

I wouldn't expect even that to work very often, though.

The best policy is just to always reinstall windows when you replace the motherboard.
m
l
January 7, 2012 1:29:55 AM

thanks for the answer. ill install a new copy of windows, but can i do that without loosing all the data on the old hard drive. oh and one more thing how can i update the bios on the motherboard because its giving me wrong temparature reading on my cpu. says its overheating when all the fans are working and the voltage is right
m
l
Related resources
January 7, 2012 1:44:30 AM

On windows XP you could move hard drive to any new system and it would detect new hardware and reinstall drivers (simple trick)
On Vista and Win7 I had newer wore able to move to new hardware, Microsoft trying there best to make that impossible
m
l
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
January 7, 2012 2:01:43 AM

If you want data yo remain intact from the old computer than I would put the drive back in the old computer and save everything you need to CDs.

You will likely need to format the drive during this process and that would lose all the data on the drive.
m
l
January 7, 2012 2:34:35 AM

Eddelweiss said:
thanks for the answer. ill install a new copy of windows, but can i do that without loosing all the data on the old hard drive. oh and one more thing how can i update the bios on the motherboard because its giving me wrong temparature reading on my cpu. says its overheating when all the fans are working and the voltage is right

Working fans do not guarantee low temps. Double check fan directions. Did the new video card cut off some air flow?
m
l
!