installing cd-rom

tinman

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001
I have an old pentium 133 that has no cd-rom player in it and am trying to install an old creative 48X player [cd483ie] in it. There is one major problem. I've set it up as the secondary master in the bios and made sure that all cables are hooked up properly. When the system posts it recognizes everything but the cd-rom player. It detects that the primary master is a 1.6GB HD but for the primary slave, secondary master and slave it says there are no drives. I've tried the player as the secondary master and also as slave but no go.
Going into my bios I've tried to set up the cd-rom player as auto config. but to no avail. In win 95 it sees the drive as D drive but accessing it causes the following error, " D:\ is not accessible, The device is not ready"
What does this exactly mean and how do I go about getting the system to see the cd-rom drive. The bios is award bios from 1996 so I hope that it is up to date enough that it doesn't need to be flashed. I've tried the drive in my pentium 2-350 and it sees it okay.
thanks for any help you guys can give me...David

G

These CD ROMS sure can be tempremental, eh? I've run into the same problems you describe when I've added or changed CD ROM drives...let me ask you, can you see the cd rom drive in device manager? If you boot up using a boot disk to a DOS prompt, is the cd rom assigned a drive letter? (at the a:\ prompt, try to change drive letters to d:\ or e:\, see if you get a response).

If you can see the cd rom drive in device manager, expand the plus sign and highlight it, then click remove. Reboot. See if after booting back up Windows detects it. If it is not in device manager, then it is not being detected at all and you might want to check your cable, the pins (any bent or missing pins?), and possibly the secondary IDE controller port itself. Put your hard drive on the secondary port to test it...does it detect the hard drive? If not, you have a problem with that IDE controller port and may not be able to do anything about it except replace the motherboard.

Let me know if you have any success...

Dave

tinman

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001
Well after a few more tries it turns out that the cd-rom drive doesn't seem to read too well but if I take my win98 cd out of the drive and then back in again,it will eventually read it. When I boot from the boot disk the cd-rom is assigned the drive letter E. Using generic drivers provided by the boot disk allowed me to load win98. In device manager the system does see the cd-rom player and all is well even though when I do boot up and enter the setup menu only the hard drive is recognized. Go figure. Weirdness all around but now I'm happy. Thanks for your response and also the help fox1. It's really appreciated.