Strange (graphics?) (hard drive? )issues during game

sirion25

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
Hello,

I recently built my computer (3 months ago) and everything was going great. But I am starting to see some weird things going on while gaming.

For instance, in Starcraft 2, there is a "hiccup" consistently every 4th second or so. It was working fine for the past 3 months. It is not my network as the game runs smoothly on my much crappier laptop.

Star Wars the old republic - the game glitches out and refuses to let me move forward. I'll play for 30 min or so and then my character will hit an invisible wall. I can move back and away but whenever I try to go in that direction, its blocked.

Both these games are on max settings and worked flawlessly until now.

Temps for both GPU and CPU are very good.

are these just bugs? do they sound like hardware issues rearing their ugly head?

Are there any tests I can run to stress test individual pieces of hardware? I dont have another desktop that is compatible with most of these parts.

The only thing I changed is now I use a larger portion of my SSD (before I was using 35gb, now im using 60). I'm worried this is a sign of hardware failure.

specs:

Phenom x4 955 black edition
sapphire radeon 6850
430 watt corsair builder series PSU
Intel 320 80GB SSD (this is the dirive the games and windows are on)
slow 1tb harddrive i pulled out of external seagate
Biostar A870U3 motherboard
ripjaw 1600 memory 8gb

I am playing at 1920 * 1080 and at max settings.

Other things such as bootup, shutdown, multitasking, accessing folders are extremely fast

thanks for reading!

sirion25

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
maybe its the RAM?

Its 1600 at 1.5v ram and my mobo supports 1300, 1600(O.C)

it shows up as 1600 in windows. could this be the issue? do i need to set it to 1300 in BIOS?

sirion25

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011

yeah i feel like that one is a bug. its weird.... like after 30 min or so of play the area in front of me is just blocked by invis wall. its definitely not my keyboard as i can back up and move forward to the same point. supposedly the new star wars is pretty buggy.

what really concerns me is the starcraft issue. Its the main reason i got a gaming rig and its basically unplayable by lagging out every few seconds.