Upgrade computer - tons of problems

rathma155

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
I don't know where to begin with this one...

I decided to buy mostly new parts to upgrade my computer and have; (* means it's old)

CPU: Core i7 3.4ghz 2600k
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 RAM 1600mhz
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 rev. 3.1
*Hard Drive: Western Digital 600GB 5400RPM
Solid State Drive: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB
*PSU: Thermaltake 480 watt
*GPU: Radeon 3650

I have gotten maybe 4 or 5 blue screens in the past (Page fault in nonpages area, memory bsod which i forget the name of, among others), tons of program crashes in just web browsers or downloading files.

I did a memory diagnostics check, no errors come up (although I don't know how conclusive that test is)
Because I have 2 drives, the first thing I do is a fresh install with just the SSD in the computer. Again, lots of errors. No good.
After that I do a fresh install with just the HDD in the computer. Now I have no blue screens yet, but I have downloaded a rar file 3 times and they have been corrupted twice. It still seems like there is a problem writing files to a disk or something.

What could be the problem? I ran out of places to look.

The biggest problems with new systems tend to come from 1) RAM and 2) PSUs.

The Thermaltake 480w I wouldn't really suggest to anyone. It isn't worth the price paid for it. Nor any other Thermaltake brand PSU for that matter.

The 3650 may not be able to even overload the Thermaltake, but maybe it can too.

In any event, you might want to consider trying to borrow a better PSU for a while and see if anything changes.

As for the RAM, I would suggest you download Memtest86+ and run it while you are sleeping tonight.

rathma155

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Now I can't even get past boot screen trying to start up my computer anymore. It starts up for about 5 seconds, you can see the ASUS flash screen and then it turns off.

Definitely could be the PSU. I'll try swapping it with something else.

rathma155

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
UPDATE:

Put in a new power supply. Now got a BSOD "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT"

UGHHHH..

Going to test the RAM with memtest86 plus. How conclusive is this? If it comes back with no errors can I definitively say it's a different part of the computer?

MemTest86+ takes a long time to run. I would plan to just let it go till you wake up again whenever that is.

That being said, if you can get through like 10 passes with no errors its probably not bad RAM.

If you get through 4 without any errors its unlikely, 7 is highly unlikely, and 10 is extremely unlikely.

You are guaranteed nothing, however.

Even if it passes you can still have RAM problems, however unlikely.

rathma155

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Went through 7 passes of memtest, 0 errors..

Hmm.... I'm running out of ideas on where to look. I'm going to update the BIOS on my motherboard and if that doesn't work, I give up.

edit: aaanndd just got another memory_management BSOD.

medmn

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Take a look at memory list for your board at ASUS website - there are no 16GB kits from Corsair listed. Regardless I would suspect you have a voltage issue - need to check your memory voltage settings and make sure you have adequate voltage - but not too much. Corsair site indicates voltage for approved Corsair memory is between 1.55 and 1.65v. The board specs indicate 1.5v in spec list - try upping the voltage a tad and also check your timings. You could also try running it at 1333 instead of 1600 - the difference will be virtually transparent - most people can't identify any difference in operation of the machine at 1333 versus 1600.

rathma155

Distinguished
May 1, 2006

Actually it says right now it's running at 1333 and not 1600. should I change to 1600?

And now I changed the voltage from 1.50 to 1.55

TRENDING THREADS