Compaq Presario CQ60-615DX Hard Drive, Win7

karla729

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Hello, :pt1cable: I am completely brain dead when it comes to computer parts. My craptop did just that last June, just over a yr old and not long after the warranty ended, I checked HP.com to find out a replacement HD is no longer available and since then inquired about various others to find out they are not compatible. Gave up for a while feeling it would just happen again and they were no help, must be common with that model or something. I want to know HD will work in my computer. It was a 250GB, 7200RPM, SATA, 2.5". I was looking @ a Seagate 320MB, 7200RPM, SATA, 2.5" along with Western Digital and Samsung w/same info as the Seagate, am I at all on the right track or will those not work either?? I'm always lucky enough to get the defectis, or is this model just a disposable? This site seems to have very knowledgeable people, finally i find one, please let me know if i'm better off using "it" to sight in my crossbow. Thank you :cry:

Solution
Any of the 2.5" form factor SATA hard drives will work. It's the standard size for laptops. Seagate and Western Digital are the best in my opinion. Just pick a size that suits you and in your price range and you're good to go. The other issue you might run into is reloading the operating system, since it was probably stored on the old drive in a hidden partition, so head back to HP's site and look for recovery media for your laptop. It will cost you a little, but usually less than $20-25.

scottiemedic

Distinguished
Any of the 2.5" form factor SATA hard drives will work. It's the standard size for laptops. Seagate and Western Digital are the best in my opinion. Just pick a size that suits you and in your price range and you're good to go. The other issue you might run into is reloading the operating system, since it was probably stored on the old drive in a hidden partition, so head back to HP's site and look for recovery media for your laptop. It will cost you a little, but usually less than $20-25.

Solution

karla729

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012

Thanks scottiemedic for your help! So there is hope for that dang thing after all.
When I bought the laptop, Best Buy salesperson told me that it was important that I make a recovery disk for it, the Geek Squad had already had things set up on it and it was one of the last ones on hand they didn't charge me for set up nor give me any disks for anything unless I wanted to pay more. Needless to say they had done a recovery disk and it only allows one, they had me bring it back up cuz they threw out all the disks that had been with it (senseless i think), and they did something to the partition so it would make another disk, which I did but a few hrs before they called and wanted it I had already ordered one from HP. So I' have the manufacturer one and one after Geek Squad loaded it up. I was actually going to have a 4th yr IT student change the HD and reload from my disks since she was the one that tested it and told me the HD was bad but worked w/ hers in.
I appreciate your bringing that issue up to since that probably would have been my next question in the near future. Now I can go buy a new HD on Ebay and have it running again!! With a little more memory to it. Again thank you for your help, ur awesome, made my day!! :D :bounce:

popatim

Titan
The only real difference in 2.5" HDD is thickness which really shouldnt be an issue if your just looking at a 320.

BTW I've been running a Seagate 320 in my old laptop for 2 years; took it out (put the factory 160 back in) and now using it as a server backup drive. Still going strong.

karla729

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012

Awesome, thanks for the info, maybe finding a replacement won't be as hard to find as I was starting to think by the answers I got from HP. Any and all info I get really helps cuz like I had said, I am totally dumb when it comes to internal computer parts, but thanks to the knowledgeable people like you guys I'm learning. I was leaning toward the Seagate HD, I like the warranty they have, really wish the manufacturer was more customer friendly about it. Much appreciated popatim!