Ati 6790 or ati 5770 for gaming with i5 2500k

Solution
Well, it is a demanding feature, just like high textures, or high resolution. If you want to use physX, you will have to turn something else down (like change detail from high to medium).

You would probably be fine @ 1280x1024, but you mentioned that you were thinking about getting a 1080p LCD which would add more stress to your GPU, meaning you would have to turn more settings down in order to still play with PhysX

I was just saying that you would probably be more satisfied with High textures in games with no physx, than med-low textures with physx. Therefore, PhysX wouldn't be a good determining factor

blade061188

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
6850 is out of range

Ok, if 6850 is out of range, I would go wit the 6790.

another would be gtx 550ti which has physx but ati has no physx so am i doing right thing of buying ati ??

There are very few games that take advantage of PhysX, and given the performance level you are looking at, you would likely turn it off anyway to get better detail/resolution. You don't need to worry about PhysX.

You won't even notice that you don't have it.

it will be a different story for games like batman aa. with physx enable you got extra candy in batman aa. the rumble are more fun when you can break things in the surrounding like floor tiles :p. but personally i prefer performance over physx effect in batman aa. my GTX460 unable to maintain 60FPS at all times when enabling physx hardware acceleration.

blade061188

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
it will be a different story for games like batman aa. with physx enable you got extra candy in batman aa. the rumble are more fun when you can break things in the surrounding like floor tiles . but personally i prefer performance over physx effect in batman aa. my GTX460 unable to maintain 60FPS at all times when enabling physx hardware acceleration.

Right, my point was that with the level of Gfx performance we are talking here (550ti) OP would likely turn off PhysX anyway to increase performance and detail settings

blade061188

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Well, it is a demanding feature, just like high textures, or high resolution. If you want to use physX, you will have to turn something else down (like change detail from high to medium).

You would probably be fine @ 1280x1024, but you mentioned that you were thinking about getting a 1080p LCD which would add more stress to your GPU, meaning you would have to turn more settings down in order to still play with PhysX

I was just saying that you would probably be more satisfied with High textures in games with no physx, than med-low textures with physx. Therefore, PhysX wouldn't be a good determining factor

Solution

pell380

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
http://www.behardware.com/art/imprimer/827/

take a look at this it says 6790 is faster then 550ti but a little bit like 5 to 3 fps more in some games but question in my mind about physx is that how many new games except batman arkham city,mafia2 ??? does crysis2,battlefiled,just cause 2 use physx and if i dont get nvidia if i buy 6790 then 6790 will give good perfomnce in 1080p resolution then 550ti

A 550Ti is plenty for your resolution with phys-x enabled and high detail settings.
It is a 460 basically..
no, wrong, its much slower than the gtx460. its on par with a 5770/6770. the 6970 is faster, but if you want to play at 1080p at anything above medium detail, get the 6850/gtx460 or better.
heres a good chart showing the space between the mentioned cards http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6790-barts-gpu-geforce-gtx-460,2917-5.html - note the gtx460 is the 768mb version, the 1gb version is on par with the 6850 in most games. Also make sure your power supply is up to whatever card you chose. the 6790 actually uses more power than the faster 6850. A good quality 450w-550w power supply is needed, depending ond the card and if you want to overclock.

physx was calculated using AEGIA own PPU (physics processing unit) before they were acquired by nvidia. when nvidia acquired AEGIA nvidia integrate the technology into their gpu so you no longer need to buy separate PPU cards to calculate physx effect in the game incorporate physx physics engine.