chapmanator

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
So I just finished repairing/rebuilding my old Acer M5100 desktop. The motherboard crashed, so after getting a new motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157204), I plugged everything back into it. I reused the same processor, heatsink, RAM, etc,.

So when I turn it on, the computer is ridiculously loud. Right from the get go, it seems like the fan is going full blast.

I have one fan for exhaust on the back, and one fan on top of the heatsink. Both are clean and free from dust. The heatsink fan is connected to the CPU Fan Connector on the motherboard and the exhaust fan connected to the power supply.

My BIOS does have options to change the Temperature of the computer and Fan Speed (Level 1-10) but no matter what setting I choose, and after I save and exit, the fan is still running super loud (5,443 RPM).

I don't have internet on the machine at the moment, but I downloaded SpeedFan on a USB drive and tried to install it but the installation fails for some reason.

Do I just need to replace the fan on the heatsink? Perhaps the bearings suck and that is what is making the noise. But that doesn't explain the reason why my fan is spinning so stupidly fast. Don't most fans run in the 2,000 RPM kind of range?

What do the other fan connections on my motherboard control? (Chassis Fan Connector and Power Fan Connector)

Solution

Pg 53 in the english users manual of your motherbd as found on ASRocks website:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/manual.asp?Model=N68C-S%20UCC

states:
CPU Quiet Fan
This item allows you to control the CPU fan speed and fan noise. If you set this
option as [Disabled], the CPU fan will operate in full speed. If you set...

popatim

Titan
1: your fans must be connected to the motherboard for there to be a chance of it controlling them. Fans connected to the power supply will run at full speed.

2: your motherboard only supports controlling 4 wire fans and appears to run 3 wire fans at full speed. See pg 53 of your users manual.

chapmanator

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012

It is definitely the fan that is on the heatsink causing the noise. I unplugged it so that just the exhaust fan in the case would expel hot air out, and it was silent. Perhaps I need a new fan to place on the heatsink in hopes that it would run quieter?

Page 53 in the users manual is in French. Looking up that same information in the english side of the version talks nothing about the 3 or 4 wire pins. Can you elaborate on that?

popatim

Titan

Pg 53 in the english users manual of your motherbd as found on ASRocks website:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/manual.asp?Model=N68C-S%20UCC

states:
CPU Quiet Fan
This item allows you to control the CPU fan speed and fan noise. If you set this
option as [Disabled], the CPU fan will operate in full speed. If you set this
option as [Enabled], you will find the items “Target CPU Temperature” and
“Target Fan Speed” appear to allow you adjusting them. The default value is
[Disabled]. You are allowed to enable this function only when you install 4-pin
CPU fan.

Solution