In search of a CPU Cooler

fawz

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Hello,

I have recently decided to change my computer's motherboard and CPU. I now have a Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 with a Intel i7-3820. The previous CPU cooler that I had (Scythe Mugen 2) is not compatible with this MOBO since it needs to be attached at the back.

I am looking for a good new CPU cooler that would be compatible with my MOBO (attaches with screws at the front) at a decent price (60-100$). If its liquid cooling I would only be interested if there is no maintenance required.

Thanks for the help,
Fawzi

cmi86

Distinguished
Pre manufactured closed loop systems suck and often fail to outperform air coolers costing a fraction of the price. I recommend the good old Coolermaster Hyper 212+
in a push pull config (2 fans) with some good thermal paste. My 212+ w/ 2X sickleflow 120's and Arctic Silver 5 Keeps my 960T @4.25Ghz (+1.25Ghz) at 30c even after running prime for 6 hours, it never goes over 30c...ever. All in all the cooler plus 2 quality fans and good TP will run you $50-60.

fawz

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Thx for the recommendation, but like popatim mentioned my main problem right now is finding a decent fan that fits on the motherboard. There already is a back plate on the MOBO and there aren't any holes that go through the mobo for me to put another back plate.

It seems the only way to have a CPU cooler is to have one that just screws on top, or remove the back plate (which I have no idea how to do).

I would really appreciate if someone could recommend me a CPU cooler that would fit on my MOBO.

cmi86

Distinguished

The threaded insets on the top side of the mobo (where the cooler screws into) don't just thread off from the back plate ?

fawz

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
I'm not really sure what you mean by that. Currently the motherboard comes with a backplate already attached. The plate is fixed to a front plate under the CPU slot which has screw holes to place in a fan. The CPU cooler I had (Scythe Mugen 2) didn't attach to the front socket.

It doesnt look like I can remove the backplate. Neither can I remove the front underplate. There are holes in the back of the motherboard, but they're blocked off by the front underplate.

cmi86

Distinguished

Here I have taken a photo of your board and highlighted areas of interest. The red highlighted areas are the anchors for the heatsink, these anchors are fixed to the black plate (or the plate under the CPU, doesn't really matter) and on past intel boards will loosen when turned counter clockwise there in releasing the back plate. The areas highlighted in green appear to also be attached to the backplate (looking at the back you can see the mounting points) and will definitely unscrew as they have allen heads. One of these options has to release that back plate, gotta be held on somehow ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77389460@N05/7094023859/in/photostream

fawz

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Thanks I'll look into that fan :D

I tried looking into figuring out how to unscrew the areas that attach the backplate that came with the MOBO, but I couldn't manage anything.

cmi86

Distinguished

That's strange especially with those allen heads on the top of the socket. Well if you just need a new cooler the 212 evo is pretty damn good. It is a performance increase over a 212+ but IMHO not really worth the added cost if the 212+ is available as it can have a fan added to it and outperform the evo for less money. But that being said the 212+ is not available for 2011 socket and you could always just add another fan to the EVO and outperform alot of $75-80 coolers for around $50 bucks max with some quality thermal paste and another fan. I'd say go for the EVO man.

TRENDING THREADS