Sign in with
Your question

Building a mini-itx gaming pc

Last response: in Systems
January 7, 2012 7:37:47 AM

Hey all

I'm considering building a mini-itx casual gaming PC with the following, but have some questions as to the configuration:

System build:
Lian Li Q08b case
Zotac Z68itx wifi mobo
Intel I5-2500K
Corsair vengence ram 2x4 1600mhz.
Corsair H60 cooling
XFX Radeon HD6770
Corsair SSD GT 120gb
Corsair AX750 psu

I have seen a guy do an almost similar build

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z8Q6n5C_wA

My questions are:
Is there any technical problems with the config?
Is there a better itx-case? maybe Silverstone SUGO GS07
Are there better options for cpu-cooling with the config in the Q08 case?

For Info, then I'm skimping abit on parts than are easy to improve, so next payday/bonusday I will buy a HDD as backup for the SSD, and in time a better GPU.
a b 4 Gaming
January 7, 2012 8:16:07 AM

You don't need 750W PSU.For your build 550W max. ar enough.
January 7, 2012 8:31:44 AM

I plan to upgrade to a Geforce GTX 560it within 1/2 year, and also upgrade with a HHD. Is it still enough with a 550w?

I need the psu to be a quite one, and I have heard good things about the Corsair AX-model
Related resources
January 8, 2012 12:34:47 PM

Minimum Recommended with GTX 560 Ti is 500W, 550W is enough even with the HDD. HDDs pull between 15 to 30 watts while your GTX card hoards 170W; with the rest of your components you should be in a safe power zone.
January 8, 2012 11:16:51 PM

Most systems don't use more than 250 Watts anyway. The key is the amperage on your +12 volt line. A 500 watt will be enough so long as you have the amperage to back it up.
February 6, 2012 4:00:12 AM

ZapperBrannigan said:
Hey all

I'm considering building a mini-itx casual gaming PC with the following, but have some questions as to the configuration:

System build:
Lian Li Q08b case
Zotac Z68itx wifi mobo
Intel I5-2500K
Corsair vengence ram 2x4 1600mhz.
Corsair H60 cooling
XFX Radeon HD6770
Corsair SSD GT 120gb
Corsair AX750 psu

I have seen a guy do an almost similar build

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z8Q6n5C_wA

My questions are:
Is there any technical problems with the config?
Is there a better itx-case? maybe Silverstone SUGO GS07
Are there better options for cpu-cooling with the config in the Q08 case?

For Info, then I'm skimping abit on parts than are easy to improve, so next payday/bonusday I will buy a HDD as backup for the SSD, and in time a better GPU.

Hi,

I watched the video and built a similar system as a gaming box for daily use, and to take to LAN parties every couple of months.

I swaped a few parts in and out but this is my final configuration:-

“Red Cube” PC – Mini-ITX Gaming Rig
• Lian Li PC-Q08R Case
• Zotac Z68-A-E Wifi ITX motherboard
• Intel i5-2500K CPU
• MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozer III
• 8 Gigs of Corsair 1600 Meg DDR3 RAM
• Corsair 120GB Force 3 GT SSD SATA III
• 2 Tb WD Hard Drive SATA III
• Corsair H60 Water Cooler with Noctua NF-P12 High pressure fan
• Thermaltake 700 Watt ATX Power Supply
• Samsung Blu-Ray Combo Drive
• BitFenix Spectre Pro 140mm Black Tinted Red LED Fan
• Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Be careful of which power supply you choose. Unless the case the youtube guy had was somehow different from mine, the AX750 wouldn't be able to fit. There is only 160mm gap between the back of the case and the drive cages. All cable managed power supplies need additional space as they have a pile of connectors at the end facing the drive cage.

You need to find a shorter power supply that is 150mm (5.9") or even 140mm (5.5"). This will rule out most cable managed power supplies or probably any power supply with a 130 or 135mm fan.

The corsair hx-650 is 150mm deep and has flat modular cables that can be bent to fit the case. There are several others available too. Alternatively get a good quality non cable managed power supply with a 120mm fan. Most of these are 140mm deep and you can select a model with the right output cables to suit your build. Then there wont be a pile of unused cables to tie up out of the way.

Alternatively Lian Li make a bracket to allow you to shift to position of the power supply further back. Personally id prefer no to do this as it making a small case have a larger footprint, which is not what the idea of ITX computing is all about.

http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_i...
February 7, 2012 7:06:32 AM

To jbheller:

Thanks for the advice.

I have now already build it. I took the easy way out and bought a Silverstone SG08, which has a 600w powersupply.

The final build was:
- Silverstone SG08
- Intel I5-2500K
- ASRock Z68m itx/h
- Gainward GTX 560it
- Samsung 830 ssd 128gb
- WD black caviar 750gb
- G.Skills RipJaws 4x2gb1866mhz

I used the stockcooler, which works out nice, as long as I don't overclock. It is pretty quite until the speed step kicks in, and the silverstone fan speeds up and down.... I'm going to turn speed step off in my bias. I don't think it will change much in regards to cooling.

February 7, 2012 10:40:04 PM

I haven't seen a silverstone SG08 myself but it does look like a viable option for a build. The price is very good too considering that it comes with a good 600w power supply.

The specs of our systems are quite similar, so i hope you have as much fun with your new box is I do.
March 2, 2013 12:23:29 AM

First of all you should get a nice and cost effective ITX pc case. www.siliconray.com has plenty of nice choices.
!