games for young children?

Hi all,

I'm looking for PS2 games playable by very young kids (4 years old).
Something fun and simple with easy controls I suppose. Has anyone seen/tried
games like that?

Cheers,
Nils

"Nils Deslé" <ndesle@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for PS2 games playable by very young kids (4 years old).
> Something fun and simple with easy controls I suppose. Has anyone
seen/tried
> games like that?
>
> Cheers,
> Nils

with my nephew i tried several demos, and the only one he could play a
little with help from me was "the simpsons" :).

"Nils Deslé" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for PS2 games playable by very young kids (4 years old).
> Something fun and simple with easy controls I suppose. Has anyone seen/tried
> games like that?
>
> Cheers,
> Nils

My granddaughter plays a number of games but not many are the kind of
game she can play alone. She enjoys Shrek2 , winnie the pooh's rumbly
tumbly adventure, and if you can get the TY games they're good too.
Dog's life and the simpsons hit & run as has been suggested. You'll
have to spend a fair bit of time with them though as no game is that
easy.
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

U¿ytkownik "Nils Deslé" <ndesle@yahoo.com> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for PS2 games playable by very young kids (4 years old).

4yr old? I think they are too young to play video games, they will probably
become nervous ;)

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for PS2 games playable by very young kids (4 years old).
> Something fun and simple with easy controls I suppose. Has anyone
seen/tried
> games like that?
>
> Cheers,
> Nils

Eye-toy and A Dogs Life might work.

..Jarle

"Nils Deslé" <ndesle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for PS2 games playable by very young kids (4 years old).
> Something fun and simple with easy controls I suppose. Has anyone
> seen/tried games like that?
>
> Cheers,
> Nils

Any of the Silent Hill games really

HTH

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Nils Deslé wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for PS2 games playable by very young kids (4 years old).
> Something fun and simple with easy controls I suppose. Has anyone seen/tried
> games like that?
>
> Cheers,
> Nils

simpsons hit n run is not suitable for young kids. I've let
mine play it with bad results! "I am evil homer!" song being
sung, use of the word "arse" alot, kicking innocent people, etc.

I can recommend Lego Star wars - suitable for 3 and up.
They can just wonder around doing stuff, or you can play
the game with them as it is 2 player. good fun. my 4 year old
loves it.

Also, recommend:
Disney skateboard adventure - again kids can just glide around
not necessarily completeing the missions

I have to say there is a large lack of games for this
age group that are suitable. Alot say they are for
3 and up but are really too hard and have unsuitable material
in them.

michael wrote:

> Nils Deslé wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm looking for PS2 games playable by very young kids (4 years old).
> > Something fun and simple with easy controls I suppose. Has anyone seen/tried
> > games like that?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Nils
> >

> simpsons hit n run is not suitable for young kids. I've let
> mine play it with bad results! "I am evil homer!" song being
> sung, use of the word "arse" alot, kicking innocent people, etc.

I am evil homer is a song, it doesn't mean the kid is turning evil.
The kicking is a punished offence, as are any continual law breaking.
This is a kid's game and certainly no more offensive than the program

> I can recommend Lego Star wars - suitable for 3 and up.
> They can just wonder around doing stuff, or you can play
> the game with them as it is 2 player. good fun. my 4 year old
> loves it.

haven't thought of that one before. How good is the free roaming?

> Also, recommend:
> Disney skateboard adventure - again kids can just glide around
> not necessarily completeing the missions

I don't know how I forgot this, except maybe it's because we have it
on the xbox, but yes, excellent game

--

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:46:50 +0200, "Nils Deslé" <ndesle@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm looking for PS2 games playable by very young kids (4 years old).
>Something fun and simple with easy controls I suppose. Has anyone seen/tried
>games like that?
>
>Cheers,
>Nils

you could try,

Madagascar
Shrek 2
Lego Star Wars
Fairly Oddparents
Crash Nitro Kart
Sonic Mega Collection

toadie

michael <michael@mailinator.com> wrote:

> I can recommend Lego Star wars - suitable for 3 and up.
> They can just wonder around doing stuff, or you can play
> the game with them as it is 2 player. good fun. my 4 year old
> loves it.

So, Simpsons Hit & Run is too violent, but a game where you run around
with a light saber cutting down droids and what not is considered "OK"?

> Also, recommend:
> Disney skateboard adventure - again kids can just glide around
> not necessarily completeing the missions

> I have to say there is a large lack of games for this
> age group that are suitable. Alot say they are for
> 3 and up but are really too hard and have unsuitable material
> in them.

I think 4 is a bit too young really... Most kids don't have the
comprehension and motor skills to play a console game. If you *REALLY*
insist, though, get an eye-toy and maybe one of the kid-related game
packs for it. Little kids should be encouraged to jump around and make
BIG motions with the arms and legs. They'll develop the finer muscle
control a few years later, say 5-6.

"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message

>> I can recommend Lego Star wars - suitable for 3 and up.
>> They can just wonder around doing stuff, or you can play
>> the game with them as it is 2 player. good fun. my 4 year old
>> loves it.
>
> So, Simpsons Hit & Run is too violent, but a game where you run around
> with a light saber cutting down droids and what not is considered "OK"?

What's so hard to understand about that? There's little chance of a child
building a functioning light saber. There's quite a bit of a chance of a
child kicking people and yelling arse.

Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I am evil homer is a song, it doesn't mean the kid is turning evil.
> The kicking is a punished offence, as are any continual law breaking.
> This is a kid's game and certainly no more offensive than the program

I don't know if I'd say the game is for kids... Some of the missions were
bloody difficult even for adults with decades of gaming under their belt...

Even so, for most kids, just being able to walk or drive around town
should be amusing enough for most little kids. When they start getting
older and can read, they might start to get annoyed by the game due to its
complicated and difficult missions.

Doug Jacobs wrote:

> Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I am evil homer is a song, it doesn't mean the kid is turning evil.
> > The kicking is a punished offence, as are any continual law breaking.
> > This is a kid's game and certainly no more offensive than the program
>
> I don't know if I'd say the game is for kids... Some of the missions were
> bloody difficult even for adults with decades of gaming under their belt...
>
> Even so, for most kids, just being able to walk or drive around town
> should be amusing enough for most little kids. When they start getting
> older and can read, they might start to get annoyed by the game due to its
> complicated and difficult missions.

I agree difficulty wise it's not a straight toddler's game but I can't
think of many, if any, which they could play unaided. They learn fast
now though. Our youngest grandchild has grasped the analogue controls
in games very much quicker than I ever could.

--

Fred Liken wrote:

> "Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
>
> >> I can recommend Lego Star wars - suitable for 3 and up.
> >> They can just wonder around doing stuff, or you can play
> >> the game with them as it is 2 player. good fun. my 4 year old
> >> loves it.
> >
> > So, Simpsons Hit & Run is too violent, but a game where you run around
> > with a light saber cutting down droids and what not is considered "OK"?
>
> What's so hard to understand about that? There's little chance of a child
> building a functioning light saber. There's quite a bit of a chance of a
> child kicking people and yelling arse.

and there is a great chance that a child will pick up some lump of
wood or such and lamp another over the head with his 'light sabre'

we're straying into the 'do video games/cartoons/films/books/breathing
cause violence' zone again.

To a small child everything is a fantasy, even real violence can seem
like a game. They learn as they go along, and as long as the message
is clear that it is a game and that killing/beating people up etc is
wrong then they learn that, and if they don't learn then they have a
problem, which the game will only be a small part of. It's when they
start pulling the legs off next door's cat you start worrying

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:46:50 +0200, "Nils Deslé" <ndesle@yahoo.com> spewed forth
these words of wisdom:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm looking for PS2 games playable by very young kids (4 years old).
>Something fun and simple with easy controls I suppose. Has anyone seen/tried
>games like that?
>
>Cheers,
>Nils

Finding Nemo.

Galley

"kamil_pl" <kamil.janas.ps2@neostrada.pl> wrote in message

> U¿ytkownik "Nils Deslé" <ndesle@yahoo.com> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm looking for PS2 games playable by very young kids (4 years old).
>
> 4yr old? I think they are too young to play video games, they will
> probably become nervous ;)

Bah, my 4-year-old gets nervous and over excited by lots of things, one more
won't hurt if we keep an eye on it.

Nils

"Steeeeam" <steaaam@steeeeam.cam> wrote in message
> "Nils Deslé" <ndesle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm looking for PS2 games playable by very young kids (4 years old).
>> Something fun and simple with easy controls I suppose. Has anyone
>> seen/tried games like that?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Nils
>
> Any of the Silent Hill games really
>
> HTH

NID. (No it doesn't)
Wicked person!
I read my son a story about monsters in the closet once, had to put up a
stuffed dog to protect him so he could go to sleep :-/

"michael" <michael@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> Nils Deslé wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm looking for PS2 games playable by very young kids (4 years old).
>> Something fun and simple with easy controls I suppose. Has anyone
>> seen/tried games like that?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Nils
> simpsons hit n run is not suitable for young kids. I've let
> mine play it with bad results! "I am evil homer!" song being
> sung, use of the word "arse" alot, kicking innocent people, etc.

Definately want to keep him away from that kind of stuff for now.

> I can recommend Lego Star wars - suitable for 3 and up.
> They can just wonder around doing stuff, or you can play
> the game with them as it is 2 player. good fun. my 4 year old
> loves it.

Hmm, might try that one. Heard it's fun for adults as well, so even if he
doesn't take to to it, I can still play it alone :)
I think I'll try it alone first, to see what the level of violence is, even
if it is only lego blocks. Don't want him to start smashing his real lego's
now, do I?

> I have to say there is a large lack of games for this
> age group that are suitable. Alot say they are for
> 3 and up but are really too hard and have unsuitable material
> in them.

Maybe 4 is just too young... Perhaps I should have some more patience.

Thanks for the reply though!
Nils

<toadie05@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:46:50 +0200, "Nils Deslé" <ndesle@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I'm looking for PS2 games playable by very young kids (4 years old).
>>Something fun and simple with easy controls I suppose. Has anyone
>>seen/tried
>>games like that?
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Nils
>>

> you could try,
>
> Crash Nitro Kart

That's racing, innit? I tried letting him race in GT-A-spec a few times, but
the concept of the analogue sticks is just too alien for him, he can't
understand how the little stick is supposed to steer the car. It's not just
a case of not keeping to the perfect racing line :) , he just can't get the
car to move straight at all. A steering wheel might be more fun for him, but
they're a tad expensive for me.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Nils

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Doug Jacobs wrote:
> michael <michael@mailinator.com> wrote:
>

>>I can recommend Lego Star wars - suitable for 3 and up.
>>They can just wonder around doing stuff, or you can play
>>the game with them as it is 2 player. good fun. my 4 year old
>>loves it.
>

> So, Simpsons Hit & Run is too violent, but a game where you run around
> with a light saber cutting down droids and what not is considered "OK"?

Well there is a differnce between beating up characters designed to
look human, and hitting something that breaks into lego blocks which
is what happens on lego star wars.
I let my kids play both so I know the results and I've stopped them
playing simpsons now.

snip

> I think 4 is a bit too young really... Most kids don't have the
> comprehension and motor skills to play a console game. If you *REALLY*
> insist, though, get an eye-toy and maybe one of the kid-related game
> packs for it. Little kids should be encouraged to jump around and make
> BIG motions with the arms and legs. They'll develop the finer muscle
> control a few years later, say 5-6.

I tend to agree here. But on rainy winter days it does provide the
whole family som entertainment.
I did find with eyetoy that the younger kids (3 yrs) had difficulty
realinsing they should not hit the tv or stand as close as they could.
I think getting the brain function of its not me on the screen its my
image rquires abit more aging.

Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I agree difficulty wise it's not a straight toddler's game but I can't
> think of many, if any, which they could play unaided. They learn fast
> now though. Our youngest grandchild has grasped the analogue controls
> in games very much quicker than I ever could.

As far as walking and driving around, that'd be fine. And that alone
would keep them amused for hours on end.

Doug Jacobs wrote:

> Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I agree difficulty wise it's not a straight toddler's game but I can't
> > think of many, if any, which they could play unaided. They learn fast
> > now though. Our youngest grandchild has grasped the analogue controls
> > in games very much quicker than I ever could.
>
> As far as walking and driving around, that'd be fine. And that alone
> would keep them amused for hours on end.

the smallest has started to have a go on gran turismo 4 and forza. she
wobbles about a bit but she has soon learned to watch out for corners.
she hasn't quite mastered the idea of brakes. she knows what they are
but tends to hit them after the car has hit a wall. she's very proud
when she gets round a corner.
--

Paul Heslop wrote:
> Doug Jacobs wrote:
>
>>Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>>>I agree difficulty wise it's not a straight toddler's game but I can't
>>>think of many, if any, which they could play unaided. They learn fast
>>>now though. Our youngest grandchild has grasped the analogue controls
>>>in games very much quicker than I ever could.
>>
>>As far as walking and driving around, that'd be fine. And that alone
>>would keep them amused for hours on end.
>

> the smallest has started to have a go on gran turismo 4 and forza. she
> wobbles about a bit but she has soon learned to watch out for corners.
> she hasn't quite mastered the idea of brakes. she knows what they are
> but tends to hit them after the car has hit a wall. she's very proud
> when she gets round a corner.

yeah I sit them on my lap and I operate accelarator and break
while they steer. they love crashing the car far more then
driving it - which I find frustrating LOL

michael wrote:

> Paul Heslop wrote:
> > Doug Jacobs wrote:

> >>As far as walking and driving around, that'd be fine. And that alone
> >>would keep them amused for hours on end.
> >

> > the smallest has started to have a go on gran turismo 4 and forza. she
> > wobbles about a bit but she has soon learned to watch out for corners.
> > she hasn't quite mastered the idea of brakes. she knows what they are
> > but tends to hit them after the car has hit a wall. she's very proud
> > when she gets round a corner.
>
> yeah I sit them on my lap and I operate accelarator and break
> while they steer. they love crashing the car far more then
> driving it - which I find frustrating LOL

heh, yeah, you're "Just a bit...a bit...oh, okay, let's try reverse
then... no that's far enough, no, oh look, the other cars have just
passed us... again."
--

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 09:06:54 +1200, michael <michael@mailinator.com>
wrote:

>Paul Heslop wrote:
>> Doug Jacobs wrote:
>>
>>>Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> the smallest has started to have a go on gran turismo 4 and forza. she
>> wobbles about a bit but she has soon learned to watch out for corners.
>> she hasn't quite mastered the idea of brakes. she knows what they are
>> but tends to hit them after the car has hit a wall. she's very proud
>> when she gets round a corner.
>
>yeah I sit them on my lap and I operate accelarator and break
>while they steer. they love crashing the car far more then
>driving it - which I find frustrating LOL

Ah, so I'm not alone in this then. This is precisely why I asked the
question in the first place. My son loves to "drive with the cars on
the TV", but he keeps crashing rather than racing. So I'm looking for
something he can actually play (with my help of course, I'm not
looking for an automatic nanny)

Nils