Sending SMS with a "from" name - how?

Last response: in Technologies
Share
July 29, 2004 2:48:34 AM

Our company are looking to incorporate sms sending ability into our
software. As part of this, I've been looking at some SMS gateway type
software (the alternative being to do our own).
I noticed that on one, when I sent a test message, the message received on
my phone said it was from the company in question, rather than just the
sending number.
Normally, I'd only get a message coming from xyz if that devices' number was
stored in my mobile's phonebook.
Any idea how this is done?

More about : sending sms

Anonymous
July 29, 2004 1:19:44 PM

>Our company are looking to incorporate sms sending ability into our
>software. As part of this, I've been looking at some SMS gateway type
>software (the alternative being to do our own).

Have you looked at PageGate http://www.notepager.com/pagegate.htm ? I've used it
in conjunction with monitoring apps, and it is slick.

>I noticed that on one, when I sent a test message, the message received on
>my phone said it was from the company in question, rather than just the
>sending number.

What protocol was used to send the message?

>Normally, I'd only get a message coming from xyz if that devices' number was
>stored in my mobile's phonebook.

That is usually with phone to phone messages, the gateways usually talk directly
to the carrier.

Cheers,
Anthony
!