What to upgrade to for not much cash? (E5200)

Statia

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I've been building for ten years now. I've always enjoyed best bang for buck rather than spending a load and getting the best. I'm looking to step up some from my current spec, but not spend anything more than £200 (~$300) but if I can spend less, then all the better.

My current spec is:

CPU - Intel Pentium E5200 @ 2.50GHz.
RAM - 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz).
Mobo - Gigabyte G31M-S2L (Socket 775).
GPU - 768MB GeForce GTX 460.
HDDs -2x SATA, 1x IDE.
Optical - 1 x IDE.
Audio - ASUS Xonar DS Audio Device.

I don't know if I should just stump up a bit of money and get a 2nd hand Core 2 Quad and keep everything else, or go for a new CPU, mobo and RAM. Note that I don't want to buy any new HDD's at the moment as I don't really need extra space and the prices being so high.

If I did go the route of new mobo etc, I would like the option to upgrade to and get the most benefit from an SSD at a later date.

I use the PC for some on and off gaming, music, downloading and web browsing. Peak performance isn't a big issue, but I'd like to step up a couple of notches and be able to play future games.

Thanks!

grumbledook

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
I would wait before getting a new mobo and cpu. Ivy bridge will be out later this year (april I think it is). Ram is usually pretty cheap, and 399mhz is some rather slow ram. I see that your mobo supports 800mhz so maybe consider that? In the meantime you could also consider overclocking?

Statia

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I have tried overclocking my current rig, but despite having a good CPU cooler, it keeps doing funny things when I shutdown (like rebooting instead) and it kept resetting back to the standard BIOS settings. So I put it back to stock.

Thanks for your reply.

TRENDING THREADS