Sign in with
Your question

Can old power cable be used for new graphics card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 9, 2011 3:38:40 PM

Hi everyone!
I am upgrading my graphics card from this: http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Series/EAH4850HT...
to this:
http://www.gainward.com/main/vgapro.php?id=395

Can i use the previous power cable already there to connect the new graphics card? The cable colours of the old one are 4 black an 2 yellow.. the new one has 2 black, 2 yellow and 2 brown.
Also the new graphics card has 2 slots for power suply... do i need to have both of them connected?
November 9, 2011 4:46:03 PM

I was wrong.. the old one has 3 yellow and 3 black. Any help?
a c 104 U Graphics card
November 9, 2011 5:03:01 PM

I don't know about the old cables, never used them myself, but i do know that you do need 2 six pcie pins for the 460.

Where do the old cables go to, the molex ?
Related resources
a c 376 U Graphics card
November 9, 2011 5:04:54 PM

As long as it is a 6-pin PCI-E power connector(and if you were using it on the HD4850 then it is) then you can use it. Yes, the GTX 460 requires two of them and both should be plugged in.
a c 104 U Graphics card
November 9, 2011 5:24:35 PM

Not sure if a 460 works with a molex adapter. Big brother ?
a c 376 U Graphics card
November 9, 2011 5:30:21 PM

According to your link your power supply has one 6-pin PCI-E cable but it also has a 6+2 cable as well. A 6+2 cable can function as either a 6 or 8 pin so you do have the required number of cables. 364w on the +12v rail isn't ideal for a GTX 460 but it should work as long as the rest of your system isn't really decked out. You may want to keep the card at stock speeds however.
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2011 5:38:29 PM

Even if you didn't have a 6+2-pin cable, the 6-pin PCIe cable has a max draw of 75W. You can easily get a 4-pin molex to 6-pin PCIe adapter and be perfectly safe. (so long as the PSU puts out enough power)

EDIT: also for anyone reading this, if you ever do use a 4-pin molex to 6-pin PCIe don't go crazy and use three of them off the same molex chain because you could overload the wiring for the molex connectors and potentially cause a fire if the PSU over current protection doesn't kick in.
November 9, 2011 6:38:35 PM

ok guys.. i am a real begginer here so please be patient with my following noobish questions...
I cannot find the 6+2 pin cable anywhere... is it supposed to be loose in the case?
Also the graphics card came with one of those Y molex adaptor.. (http://images.ceneje.si/products/thumbnails/ImageHomePa...) but i am not sure how that is connected... do i need to connect the normal 6 pin pci cable then connect this adapter in the other? Do both the white parts sorry dont know the correct name) need to be connected, or just one? I only find one free slot to put them in..
Sorry for all the questions.. i thought this was gonna be a simple put in graphics card and connect cables but i think i am way over my head..
a c 376 U Graphics card
November 9, 2011 7:05:39 PM

The page you linked doesn't say anything about the PSU being modular so the 6+2 cable should be there somewhere and yes it would have been unused before as you had nothing to plug it into. It should look something like this:

November 9, 2011 7:14:50 PM

I just found the the extra 4pin connectors.. they were tucked away.. before. but i have yet to find the 6+2 pin connector.
Do i need to connect both the 4pin molex plus the normal 6 pin?
Gonna search better for that 6+2 cable
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2011 7:31:11 PM

You cannot use the 4 pin cable on the video card. It is for a 4 pin CPU power plug. It is wired differently. Using the 4 pin plug on the video card will result in shorting 12 volts directly to ground.
November 9, 2011 7:56:35 PM

jsc said:
You cannot use the 4 pin cable on the video card. It is for a 4 pin CPU power plug. It is wired differently. Using the 4 pin plug on the video card will result in shorting 12 volts directly to ground.

Than i dont get it... why does a 4 pin molex adapter to 6 pin pci come with the graphics card?
a c 376 U Graphics card
November 9, 2011 8:09:43 PM

jsc said:

He is talking about using a molex to 6-pin PCI-E adapter(which should work fine) not plugging the 4-pin CPU cable into the card. Not sure why you would think that. I don't believe it is even possible to do so with the shape of the plugs.
!