Ram for Gigabite 970A UD3 Mobo, AMD 8120, 240Gb SSD

N2HYC

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
I've been researching RAM for a little project. I'm at a point where I think I'll just buy 8Gb of cheap RAM,LOL.

I have some extra Kingston DDR3 1600. Before you ask I had 16Gb in the current machine(AMD Phenom II) because I thought I could create a RAM disk. I bought first, thought second. Shelved the RAM disk Idea quickly. So I'm leaving 8Gb in the media PC (current machine) and I still have 8Gb.

The Mobo will support up to 2033(I think)OC, however from what I've gathered even 8Gb might be overkill. I'm not much of a gamer, Microsoft FS (two thousand something). I am retired and surf the net hours at a time, and just love to have lots of windows open(is 50 to many :) ) Often messing with pics and video but that's about it.

So will I see any appreciable difference in OCing some high end RAM? BTW is one 8Gb strip better then 2x 4Gb?

Thanks in advance!!!!

David
N2HYC@yahoo.com

N2HYC

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
TYVM, you confirm the feeling I was getting from reading others post. Seems Over Clocking is primarily for gaming machines where those last few percent of performance ARE noticeable. Even a couple of Frames makes a noticeable difference.

The question regarding the size of a stick of RAM came from a thought that rather then moving back and forth between sticks, all the memory duties would be in one place and have less distance. BTW I have wondered for some time why memory slots were different colors, now finally realizing that is what dual channel is, LOL.

Thanks again for your time. I need to get to the social security administration before they run out of money :)

David