Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading graphics card in an eMachine EL1352

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 9, 2011 4:51:33 PM

Hello, I want to upgrade the graphics card to support 1280 x 1024 graphics. The Nvidia GPU on the motherboard only goes to 1024 x 768. I do not need blazing speed, I am not a gamer. Just want to connect a 19 in monitor. The eMachines 1352 comes with a 220W power supply and the extra PCIe 16x1 slot I need. But eMachine spec sheet and eMachine tech support cannot tell me how much, if any, power is available for add in cards. I'm hoping a 19W or 20W add in card will work without upgrading the PSU, which I do not want to do.
November 9, 2011 4:57:49 PM

Quote:
There will be no card considered as a gaming card that will run on 30 watts.
You will need a psu upgrade fella.
Consider this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I guess I wasn't clear. By not a gamer, I mean I play NO games.

I just want a card that supports 1280 x 1024 for the 19 in monitor, to do document work.

So, does my 220 W power supply have any spare capacity at all (like 20W)?

Emachines tech support is clueless, and the spec sheet for the EL1352 does not say.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 104 U Graphics card
November 9, 2011 4:58:41 PM

He doesn't game.

Got this from other forum member ;

The HD4650 or HD4350 will both work with your PSU if it has reasonable +12 volt rail. The system is going to be pulling less than 200 watts with either of them. The HD5550 I linked to earlier consumes even less power.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
November 9, 2011 5:07:54 PM

Yeah, there's some good information there on that link. How do you know the system will pull less than 200W with either card? I'm just curious if some lab reported it for the EL 1352 or you are taking a SWAG based on experience? 'Cause Emachines is sure not telling me. Thanks
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 104 U Graphics card
November 9, 2011 5:17:07 PM

The guy who says it ( Rolli ) knows what he talking about. He knows it from experience or calculation, anyway you can be sure he's right. If he was wrong some other forum member or moderator would have corrected him for sure. Big brother ( and sister ) is allways watching. ( in my experience though )
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 104 U Graphics card
November 9, 2011 5:21:21 PM

On the other hand now i think of it, altough both psu's are 220W the HP could be a better one than yours. Don't think so but to be sure it would be helpfull to know your psu brand and type and prefarably the Amps on the combined +12V rail.
m
l
November 9, 2011 5:21:49 PM

GreenDutchAlien said:
The guy who says it ( Rolli ) knows what he talking about. He knows it from experience or calculation, anyway you can be sure he's right. If he was wrong some other forum member or moderator would have corrected him for sure. Big brother ( and sister ) is allways watching. ( in my experience though )

Well, it sounds reasonable. I think I'll buy the lowest power graphic card that is low-profile as well and give it a try. If it crashes my system I can re-enable the motherboard GPU and use that until an upgrade PS can be ordered and installed. At some point it just makes sense to buy a better computer instead of hassling with all this stuff. But it's my wife's computer and I'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 104 U Graphics card
November 9, 2011 5:22:27 PM

Quote:
Yes thankyou rob :ange: 

Go away big brother :kaola:  :lol: 
m
l
November 11, 2011 8:59:20 PM

I have one last question that may seem very stupid, but I can't tell from the pictures online.

In addition to low-profile, low power, I need to have a low profile end bracket also. Almost all the low profile cards out there have high profile brackets with cutouts for VGA, DVI, and HDMI (for example). I just need the VGA output and the high profile bracket will not fit in my slim tower design. Some of the cards come with a low profile bracket or else you can purchase them for a few bucks.

Do I just unscrew the high profile bracket and install the low profile bracket in a parallel cutout? I just need the VGA output, so if it's that easy that's great. But if the high profile connector that comes installed on the card doesn't just unscrew (does it?), then can one just take a hacksaw and cut it down?

Very low tech question, but I need to know before I buy a card. Any help appreciated.
m
l
!