Sign in with
Your question

EAX sound card

Last response: in Components
April 19, 2012 12:25:00 AM

I like older games and I want an soundcard which supports all of EAX 1, EAX 2, EAX HD 3, EAX HD 4 and EAX HD 5. Can you please list any soundcards like that, and if there are more than one, recommend the best one? I'll probably get home theater-like 5.1 speakers in order to make the most of it. Is Auzen X-Fi HomeTheater HD like that? Its website only lists EAX 5.0 and says nothing about the previous ones.

P.S. I'd prefer one with enough analog outputs for 5.1, since I heard that using the optical of cards like Creative X-Fi Titanium HD would require a very expensive DAC in order to output the same or better quality in comparison with the card's built in DAC.

More about : eax sound card

April 23, 2012 3:53:42 AM

After seeing a few reviews I think I'll go for the Auzen X-Fi HomeTheater HD, but I wanna know how does it compare to the Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional and Titanium HD, and also if you can think of a better card than that which will suit my needs.
April 23, 2012 4:14:18 AM

Anybody has better drivers than Creative, but Creative is sure to have support for all the EAX formats. Another card to look at would be Asus's Xonar line.
Related resources
April 23, 2012 4:24:03 AM

I know Xonars have excellent sound quality, but I haven't seen even one of them with full hardware EAX support for all EAX-es

p.s. what a bummer, I've just found out that the hometheater hd emulates EAX in one review :(  i guess I'll have to go with a X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional, since I couldn't find a better card :( 
April 23, 2012 4:36:44 AM

That's true, for most manufactures it's software emulation. The Auzen is the only non-branded Creative one that I know of with hardware support.
April 23, 2012 2:00:26 PM

EAX is basically a dead spec at this point. Any X-fi card [aside from the ExtremeAudio and Bravura] supports every EAX mode. ASUS cards, while not X-fi based, emulate EAX 5 [which is the only one that really matters anyway, since EAX 3-4 were rarely used].

Most all chipsets, even onboard ones, can support EAX 1-2 nativly, since EAX was still an open spec when EAX 1-2 was defined.

Also, EAX is only emulated in SW as of windows Vista, since there is no longer any way to execute a Directsound API extension in hardware.
April 23, 2012 4:14:13 PM

That is true, the Vista and 7 audio stack changed vastly from XP in the way it handles API's.
April 23, 2012 5:41:06 PM

gamerk316 said:
EAX is basically a dead spec at this point.

Yeah, but most of my favorite games support either eax 2, 3, 4 or 5, so I want a sound card that has them hardware accelerated, and second to that to also have good sound quality for music and movies. The Creative X-Fi Titanium HD is definitely all that and a cherry on top, but connecting it to a 5.1 analog system would be a pain in the a**
April 23, 2012 5:59:15 PM

GodOfGaming said:
Yeah, but most of my favorite games support either eax 2, 3, 4 or 5, so I want a sound card that has them hardware accelerated, and second to that to also have good sound quality for music and movies. The Creative X-Fi Titanium HD is definitely all that and a cherry on top, but connecting it to a 5.1 analog system would be a pain in the a**

In Vista/7, EAX is NOT HW accelerated. The Directsound API [EAX was simply a Directsound extension] no longer has any way of reaching the soundcard driver, as it was re-designed sorely as a SW API. All the soundcard does is output the finished product.

Creative gets around this by intercepting all EAX calls and converts them into OpenAL calls [in software, using Alchemy on a per-program basis], which then go off to the soundcard. ASUS handles this through its drivers [automatically when GX mode is enabled]. Neither approach is foolproof though, and EAX in some games simply no longer work in Vista/7.
April 23, 2012 8:18:21 PM

I still use XP :D  To be more exact, I'm dualbooting, and installing all games and programs older than 2005 on XP. And since I play them the most, I stay in XP almost all the time, and only restart to boot Win7 if I decide to play a newer game, which is about once or twice a week at most. I know a lot of these older games work fine on 7 too, but there are also a lot of them that either don't work properly or don't start at all. And since I'm too lazy to check them one by one I simply go the simple way and put them on XP :) 

BTW I think I'll give up on the Auzen X-Fi HomeTheater HD since I found out the frequency range is too narrow, and maybe get Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional, since I can't find any better card with these APIs. Sure I'd love a X-Fi Titanium HD, but god knows how expensive would a good external DAC be...
!