How do I change the name assigned to a drive

September 6, 2004 11:45:25 AM

Greetings and Saluations

I just installed a second DVD drive, and my drive letters
don't match the names of the volumes - they are all
correctly working.

How do I rename a drive?

Example:
E: named VRMSP_EN want DVD-RW Drive
F: correctly named DVD/CD-RW Drive
G: Photosmart want Dazzle
H: Removable Disk want Photosmart
I: correctly named FUJIDRIVE

Thanks

David

More about : change assigned drive

Anonymous
September 6, 2004 2:58:48 PM

David Pelton wrote:

> Greetings and Saluations
>
> I just installed a second DVD drive, and my drive letters
> don't match the names of the volumes - they are all
> correctly working.
>
> How do I rename a drive?
>
> Example:
> E: named VRMSP_EN want DVD-RW Drive
> F: correctly named DVD/CD-RW Drive
> G: Photosmart want Dazzle
> H: Removable Disk want Photosmart
> I: correctly named FUJIDRIVE
>
> Thanks
>
> David

If you want to just change the name simply RMB on the current
drive name and select rename. If you want to change the
drive letter assigned then go to Control Panel>Admin
Tools>Computer Management. Look for the drive you want to
change, RMB and you can change that as well.
gm
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 2:53:04 PM

I'm having the same problem as David and I tried your RMB solution. However,
I'm not getting the 'rename' option on the context menu for my CD-RW and DVD
drives. I get it on all my other drives. What is blocking the 'rename'
function on these optical drives?
Thanks to all who help.
CK

"gmnospam@nospam.xyz" wrote:

> David Pelton wrote:
>
> > Greetings and Saluations
> >
> > I just installed a second DVD drive, and my drive letters
> > don't match the names of the volumes - they are all
> > correctly working.
> >
> > How do I rename a drive?
> >
> > Example:
> > E: named VRMSP_EN want DVD-RW Drive
> > F: correctly named DVD/CD-RW Drive
> > G: Photosmart want Dazzle
> > H: Removable Disk want Photosmart
> > I: correctly named FUJIDRIVE
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > David
>
> If you want to just change the name simply RMB on the current
> drive name and select rename. If you want to change the
> drive letter assigned then go to Control Panel>Admin
> Tools>Computer Management. Look for the drive you want to
> change, RMB and you can change that as well.
> gm

September 11, 2004 11:44:21 AM

"Tirebiter" <Tirebiter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
| I'm having the same problem as David and I tried your RMB solution. However,
| I'm not getting the 'rename' option on the context menu for my CD-RW and DVD
| drives. I get it on all my other drives. What is blocking the 'rename'
| function on these optical drives?
| Thanks to all who help.
| CK

Could it be because the name of the CD-RW and DVD drive is the "Volume Label"
of the CD or DVD disk which you insert into the drive?
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 10:39:03 PM

I am having a similar problem....I want to change the name of the
drives...DVD RW/CD RW, but the rename function is not available.....how do I
change these

"David Pelton" wrote:

> Greetings and Saluations
>
> I just installed a second DVD drive, and my drive letters
> don't match the names of the volumes - they are all
> correctly working.
>
> How do I rename a drive?
>
> Example:
> E: named VRMSP_EN want DVD-RW Drive
> F: correctly named DVD/CD-RW Drive
> G: Photosmart want Dazzle
> H: Removable Disk want Photosmart
> I: correctly named FUJIDRIVE
>
> Thanks
>
> David

Anonymous
November 7, 2004 8:30:01 AM

"magoo412" <magoo412@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
| I am having a similar problem....I want to change the name of the
| drives...DVD RW/CD RW, but the rename function is not available.....how do I
| change these
|
| "David Pelton" wrote:
| > I just installed a second DVD drive, and my drive letters
| > don't match the names of the volumes - they are all
| > correctly working.
| >
| > How do I rename a drive?
| >
| > Example:
| > E: named VRMSP_EN want DVD-RW Drive