Acer P243W Blank screen - power board?

WastedYouth

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Hi,

I've had an Acer P243W for a few years. All of a sudden about a week ago the screen went black.

Thought my PC was playing up, so restarted, but the screen didn't come on, it was late so I went to bed.

Next night powered up and everything was fine for a few hours then the screen went black again.

The power button is still blue (indicating a source) and the PC is running fine.

More usage and it got to a point where after a few minutes (or seconds later) it would go black, turning it off and back on sometimes gives a few minutes other times a second and off again.

I did a flashlight test but couldn't see a picture, though my room was pitch black at the time, so I'm not 100% certain.

I was fairly sure something has gone wrong, so I took it apart, looking for bulging/leaking capacitors etc, but didn't find any.

Have mainly concentrated on the power board though.

Any ideas what it could be or how I might go about troubleshooting? Also how can I test the power board is this possible, I have a multimeter but a great deal of knowledge of electronics...

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks

Chris

P.S It made me pick a sub-section and there isn't a monitor one :S

DM186

Splendid
I am not an expert but it sounds like your graphic card is shot. But you need to post what you have, CPU, Ram what is your specs etc, so someone who is knowledgeable has better trouble shooting experience than me.

P.S. you pick the right one and good luck

WastedYouth

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Nah definitely monitor shot, I'm using a diff monitor now and its fine, plus I tried my other GFX card and it didn't work.

So I'm already one step into it because I know its the monitor, now I just need to know how to find which bit.

Cheers anyways.

Chris

WastedYouth

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Can anyone tell me the likely hood I'm looking at the right component?

If its near certain this part then I can look at getting a replacement, but I don't want to waste money if its not this.

Cheers