Acer Aspire AM3900G Graphic card upgrade

JamesF_22

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Hello all.

I'm looking to upgrade my Graphic card but of course the problem is i don't know what card i can use.

This is my Acer: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=285645&CatId=5138

I've looked inside my tower and the thing i'm most worried about is the wireless network card because it looks like it's a bit too close to where the graphic card would go.

A card i'm looking for is something that can handle things such as Photoshop After Effects and some mid-range gaming like L4D2 and Tribes Ascend.

My budget currently is something around 80-100 USD though if the performance is noticeable enough i'm willing to go up to something like $120-ish.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys may give.

Solution
The 5670 and the 6670 are the same card, they are literally not any different. The brand does not matter, some prefer others over others, its more of a preference. a 5670 should run L4D perfectly fine, yet if you want to play any modern games at higher graphics, I would look somewhere else other than a 5670 or a 6670.
If you're not up to replacing the power supply (probably not, since it is out of your budget) I would go with the 5670/6670 like beltzy said above. They both run well on a 300W power supply. It should handle what you do very well, but not much more (don't expect BF3)

JamesF_22

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Is the 6670 worth the extra $20? And would it be wise to upgrade the PSU while I'm at it to something like 460/500 watt, or should i just do it later when i do my second upgrade in about a year from now?

Also should i be looking at a Sapphire or XFX?

The 5670 and the 6670 are the same card, they are literally not any different. The brand does not matter, some prefer others over others, its more of a preference. a 5670 should run L4D perfectly fine, yet if you want to play any modern games at higher graphics, I would look somewhere else other than a 5670 or a 6670.

Solution

JamesF_22

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
If there's any modern games i would like to play it would be something like Skyrim on Medium settings on a 1280x1024 res and from what i've seen in the recent article posted i should be able to play it with one of these cards. I'm not looking to play anything high up there like Battlefield 3, Rage or any other high demanding games right now.

Thanks for the help.

TRENDING THREADS