Sign in with
Your question

How to use the Asus USB bios flashback?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 27, 2013 10:23:41 PM

Hi Guys,

Kind of a noob at updating bios. I would like to update/flash my bios on my Sabertooth 990fx board. I am using windows 7 on my laptop right now, but will be putting windows 8 on my desktop.
so far what i have doe in detail is:
1. I downloaded The bios file and the utility for renaming the file. placed both folders on my desktop
2. I opened the folder containing the bios file (found only one file called "SABERTOOTH-990FX-R20-ASUS-1503.CAP")
3. right clicked empty space and found an option saying extract all (windows software used, no 3rd party software used)
4. a new folder was automatically created on my desktop with a file inside
5. I took the renaming application and copied into the new folder, ran the application and now the new bios file is called "ST990R20.CAP"
6. I removed the renaming application and only left with the bios file about 8mb (8194 KB exact)
7. what do i do now, have i done this right so far, i dont want to break my new board.... if you have the same board and you have updated your bios please help me... i am really stressed about this :( 

My guess at the following steps would be format my pendrive to fat 32
copy the new bios file "ST990R20.CAP" and place it in the pen drive (no folders, just bare in there)
plug that usb stick in the pc when its switched off (into the white usb port) hold the usb bios flashback button for 3 secs and wait.

PlLEASE HELP, :o 
MANY THANKS
OMAR
a c 558 V Motherboard
February 28, 2013 4:00:20 AM

Hi,
I assume the board is 990FX R2.0 ("I would like to update/flash my bios on my Sabertooth 990fx board").
You're correct in your assumptions.
Use the Flasback USB port (not any USB port supports flashback).
The power supply has to be switched on.
If the system works without issues, it is not recommended to update the BIOS.
Update the BIOS only if experiencing compatibility issues (fixed by a newer BIOS version) or using a CPU that is not supported by the current BIOS version.

February 28, 2013 9:13:51 AM

well reading the Asus website there are descriptions saying stability fixed and quick bootup of windows 8 fiixed... are these sufficient to update the bios in your opinion?

Thanks
Related resources
a c 558 V Motherboard
February 28, 2013 10:14:20 AM

No. Are you using Windows 8 and experiencing issues?
February 28, 2013 1:45:51 PM

I havnt installed windows yet. but yea it will be windows 8 64bit. I finished building the system thats all and was podering to update the bios or not.... will it give me better performance in games, video editing etc?
a c 558 V Motherboard
February 28, 2013 2:49:04 PM

No. At contrary, there are cases where issues start after a BIOS update. I suggest installing Windows, drivers and see if the system runs as it was supposed to.
February 28, 2013 3:24:46 PM

alright thanks,
i was more leaning to leave it but i heard from some people about better performance
and other people warning me about a bricked bios.
so thats why i made this post in the first place.

Thanks a lot though, will get back in touch if experience any issues
March 1, 2013 3:48:01 PM

Hi again,
I installed windows, and currently installing the drivers
i bought Corsair Vengeance LP Memory CML16GX3M2A1600C9 1600mhz ram but in the bios i am getting a speed of 1366mhz any idea why?
a c 558 V Motherboard
March 1, 2013 4:10:28 PM

Hi,
It's the RAMs SPD (default settings). Manufacturers advertise RAMs by the XMP speed, not by the default one.
Try setting in BIOS the Ai Overclock Tuner to DOCP and select the 1600 speed.
March 1, 2013 10:35:56 PM

well i checked again after the drivers were done, it was running at 145x Mhz which is the weirdest speed ive seen. so i set them to 17xx Mhz they are currently on 32C (degrees centigrade) should be ok right?

sorry for not paying attention in detail to the speed numbers
a c 558 V Motherboard
March 2, 2013 5:54:59 AM

Try installing CPU-Z and under the memory tab check the speed. If different than 800, then under the SPD tab read the XMP values.
Set in BIOS the Ai Overclock Tuner to manual, memory frequency to DDR3-1600,
and under DRAM Timing Control:
DRAM CAS# Latency - set the value read in CPU-Z under XMP-1600 for CAS# Latency
DRAM RAS# to CAS# - set the value for RAS# to CAS#
RAS# Pre Time - set the value for RAS# Precharge
RAS#ACT Time - the value for tRAS
and the
Command Rate
Then save and exit BIOS.
Check again with CPU-Z if the values under the memory TAB are those under the SPD tab (for XMP).

March 2, 2013 2:01:24 PM

Installed cpu-z
changed the speed in the bios to DDR3-1600 successfully
but the bios wont let me change the clock speed of the ram at all, it just says auto
here are the speeds i am getting in order
1:4
10 clocks
12 clocks
11 clocks
30 clocks
39 clocks
any idea how to remove the auto setting and select my own timing?
a c 558 V Motherboard
March 2, 2013 2:09:46 PM

Try setting OC Tuner to OK or similar.
March 2, 2013 2:17:20 PM

did that,
I actually changed the command rate this time to 2t first, then restarted. this automatically changed the speed to 722.4mhz , and clock rates are normal now except for the last one which is 33 clocks instead of 41. but i guess that comes with the lower speed (722.4 not 800)
will try to access the bios again and see if it lets me change it this time...
and btw, do you have the same board man, you seem to know it inside out lol... its nothing less than amazing :D 
a c 558 V Motherboard
March 2, 2013 2:25:38 PM

No, I have an older one (an ASUS P55).
March 2, 2013 2:33:11 PM

ah i am getting really annoyed about with this mobo, i keep making setting in the bios, restarting and it goes back to its own settings. it doesnt want to stay at the setting i tell it to. and when ever click ok for overclock tuner it just restarts......

i think it might be a faulty mobo, what do you think?
a c 558 V Motherboard
March 2, 2013 2:40:11 PM

Let me check the manual.
a c 558 V Motherboard
March 2, 2013 3:03:18 PM

t should work.
Try setting the BIOS to default (Exit / Load optimized default).
Restart, enter BIOS,
Ai Overclock Tuner to manual,
OC tuner to OK,
If the system does not automatically restart,
continue setting the timings and the frequency.
If it does restart, it might be a board problem or a setting that I'm not aware of and I suggest contacting ASUS Support.

April 8, 2013 10:40:41 AM

alexoiu said:
Hi,
I assume the board is 990FX R2.0 ("I would like to update/flash my bios on my Sabertooth 990fx board").
You're correct in your assumptions.
Use the Flasback USB port (not any USB port supports flashback).
The power supply has to be switched on.
If the system works without issues, it is not recommended to update the BIOS.
Update the BIOS only if experiencing compatibility issues (fixed by a newer BIOS version) or using a CPU that is not supported by the current BIOS version.

I run W7-64 bits, RAID 0 on ASUS P8Z77-V DEluxe BIOS 1805, OROM RAID 11.6.0.1702.
I want to update this BIOS to the modded BIOS available on ASUS/ROCK overclock forum with the OROM RAID 12.5.0.1815 which fixes some bluescreen issues.
So, i want to use Flashback BIOS procedure using a USB 2.0 stick, formatted FAT 32 , with only Z77VD.CAP file on it. I plug it on the specific green USB port. PC power is on, W7 not running. Pressing 3-5 sec the BIOS Flash button lights blue led intermittently 3 to 5 sec, not more, and then the blue led light remains on. WHY Flashback is not working ? Any idea ?
After several tries , no success. My current bios seems not modified at all and is working as before.
I have tried also clear cmos and followed by the flashback procedure: no success
Seems that the bios is 'protected' and don't know how to update it when ASUS will release the next 'official' BIOS.
I have tried also to do an EZ flash bios with the ASUS 1805 bios , I got no error message, but i checked the current BIOS was unchanged.
So, same symptom: BIOS not updatable...
Why ?
Regards
I think the bios flashing is not done and does not complete

!