Motherboard not detecting SSDs?

Maki role

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Hello, it appears that my motherboard has spontaneously stopped recognising SSDs, I have no clue what's going on.

I have an Asus P9X79 Pro and am trying to use an OCZ Agility 3 and a Samsung 840 Pro SSD.

Only two days ago the OCZ drive was functioning fine, it's been my boot drive for over a year now with no issues at all. I recently got the Samsung drive as I wanted more room to breath (the OCZ is only 120GB). I decided to add it when I did a full system rebuild, moving to a new case.

When I tried to boot with both drives in, Windows was funnily enough unable to. I sort of expected this as I added a new drive so things could have re-ordered themselves or something. Next time I head to the bios and low and behold, neither of the SSDs are detected. My standard mechanical HDD, however, is detected fine. I tried changing the SATA power connector, no change, then the SATA data cables, again no change. I swapped the ports with my HDD and the Agility 3 whilst removing the Samsung from the system entirely. Again the HDD was detected but the SSD not. This meant that the SATA ports were working fine, the cables were fine, and the power was fine.

The thing is, my trusty Agility 3 is not detected, even though it was working fine two days ago. I know they have had stability issues, but it doesn't make sense. To add to that, the brand new Samsung isn't detected either. I just can't imagine that I happen to get a DoA 840 Pro AND my old SSD dies on the same day.

I've tried resetting the CMOS, again no change. What could possibly be going on? It's set to AHCI so no issues there either.

Would love some help on this. I'll try to test out the drives on other systems as soon as I can, don't have another myself so will have to ask a friend or something.

raja@asus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Does sound odd.

If you can debug the drives on another system it would help. At least we can say it is the board/UEFI for sure.

If the drives do detect and work fine on another system, I'd probably go through the following:

1) Check firmware on both drives is fully up to date.

2) Check UEFI version - update if needed,.

3) Use a single SSD, with no other drives attached to the SATA ports, see if the drive is detected on any of the ports.

Let me know what the outcome is...