Motherboard: Asus M2N4 (SLI support)

Video card: Nvidia Quadro fx1400

Processor: Amd x2 4200+

Case: antec P180

Power Supply: TP3-650

Hard drive: western digital raptor 16mb buffer

Ram: 2gb pc2 4200 ddr2

Operating system: Windows XP

I want a computer just to play world of warcraft. Will this system be able to play World of Warcraft with just a graphics card upgrade, or would it need a processor and motherboard upgrade as well. I don't have much money and this system seems worth it just because of the case and power supply. If I buy this i'm hoping I'll be able to play world of warcraft immediately and be able to slowly upgrade my system. Instead of saving up money over the course of a month, I'll be able to have a computer now and periodically buy parts. The overall price should be about the same as it would be to build a system from scratch.

Solution
First off, I just want to say that playing a game can be very therapeutic, just so long as you don't let yourself neglect other facets in life. Working out, even if its just going for a walk, can help too. If you need to talk, PM me. I've been there and done that, but part of working through depression is taking it on head on and beating it to a pulp, rather than letting it control you.

That said, price wise I can't say if it is crappy. But I will tell you from experience, that yes, it CAN play WoW with just a GPU upgrade. This GPU will work nicely. I would also stick at least one more stick of RAM in there as well. If I made my mom's single core AMD computer run WoW on the following GPU, I'm sure a dual-core will perform just as well...

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Why write this then....

You trying to attention seek?... Try seeking a doctor instead.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
First off, I just want to say that playing a game can be very therapeutic, just so long as you don't let yourself neglect other facets in life. Working out, even if its just going for a walk, can help too. If you need to talk, PM me. I've been there and done that, but part of working through depression is taking it on head on and beating it to a pulp, rather than letting it control you.

That said, price wise I can't say if it is crappy. But I will tell you from experience, that yes, it CAN play WoW with just a GPU upgrade. This GPU will work nicely. I would also stick at least one more stick of RAM in there as well. If I made my mom's single core AMD computer run WoW on the following GPU, I'm sure a dual-core will perform just as well, if not better. Just don't expect ultra graphics.

GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130636
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104007 <--- should work with that motherboard

I hope this helps. Who is trying to sell you that computer? I would see if they are willing to negotiate, even if its just $20 off (though I would go for $40 off myself).

Edit: What exactly is your max budget that you can do at this time? Depending on that answer, I may be able to offer further recommendations.

Solution

jp896

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

Hey, sorry for the late reply and thanks a lot for the support. I basically want WOW to chill out I have so much anxiety, everything just seems so stressful. I do run 5 miles at least three times a week. The computer is on ebay and my budget is about $280. I'll probably try to upgrade the processor when Ivy bridge comes out, so around April. This computer just seem good because it has a good case, power supply, and hard drive. This way I can play wow immediately and have some control over the GPU and CPU I get. If you know any similar deals for computers, please let me know. Barebone kits with an i3 processor run about $250 on tigerdirect. Again, thank you for the support.

justinxtreme

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
On craigslist with a budget of about $240 in my location (Orlando) I could get a computer with

Intel Core 2 Duo E8000 or AMD Athlon II X2 processor
3GB-4GB of DDR2-DDR3 RAM
250GB HDD
Integrated Graphics

However I recommend getting system with a budget of about $150 or so and saving the other $100 for a good graphics card, it's not a bad idea

For $150 in my location,

I could get a prebuilt HP system with
2.6GHz AMD Athlon X2 5000+
2GB RAM
250GB HDD
Integrated Graphics

then just use the $100 to buy a decent graphics card, Radeon HD 4870s sell for about $80 on eBay now, and that's a pretty high end card, later on you will NEED to upgrade your system as the CPU will become a bottleneck (as it has for me). Make sure when you buy your HP PC, its AM2+ compatible, not just AM2. AM2 does not support second generation AMD Athlon IIs and AMD Phenom IIs which are SOOOO much better than the first generation Athlon X2s and Phenoms yet extremely cheap too ($50~$150). I made that mistake and am ending up having to buy a completely new motherboard and processor, which technically ruins the purpose of buying this HP PC I have.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Well, I'm not aware of any better deals right now. As justinxtreme mentioned, Craigslist might have some good deals. Just be aware that if you go that route you'll want to play it safe to prevent yourself from being robbed/scammed or worse.

Otherwise, get it and upgrade the components as money permits starting with a decent GPU (and make sure the PSU is up to par to handle the GPU you slap in it). Next when Ivy comes out, grab a decent/cheap processor and mobo, then add in 4 to 8 GB of DDR3 RAM (which is insanely cheap right now).