Wireless keeps on 'tripping out'

gwarriornoob

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Greetings folks!

I have Googled the heck out of this and can't find much information supporting anyone else having these problems, there are a few issues still populating the caches from 2006 :s So i am hoping you can assist!

I have an AMD 1090t with Crosshair IV running 4gb 1800mhz RAM with W7 and an HD 5850 DDR5 1gb grahics card.
I skimped a bit with the wireless card and got, by all accounts, a crappy Atheros AR9285.

For some reason it keeps tripping out, resetting itself, doing some crazy a$$ thing so I lose my internet connection, albeit for a few seconds but it is having a knock on effect:

Playing online poker I had folded a few hands I was in and playing online games (StarcraftII) is a nightmare - after slagging off the laggers all of a sudden mine is doing it too!

The problem is intermittent, and the trip-outs do not occur at regular intervals (that I can ascertain) but it is making my online experience hell.

I have done basic things like make sure the sleep mode is off (allow computer to turn off to save power) but my knowledge of wireless is fairly limited - every other piece of tech I have used just works, never had to troubleshoot before, so I am a bit lost!

There was an issue when I was overclocking my PC, at higher levels (3.8ghz-4ghz), in an otherwise stable clock it would take ages to connect to wifi - 8-9-10 attempts before a connection - BUT - once connected it stayed connected.

I had a little fiddle with my PCI-E settings in BIOS too, but this had no effect.

It was all working fine, up until recently, then in the last 2-3 days been hellish. I haven't done anything different, not updated anything, added new programmes etc, the (Linksys) router has not been touched, no updates have been installed, yet all of a sudden..

I am now on the default BIOS settings (where I have never had a problem) and the issue is still occurring.

I have not mucked around in the device manager>setting>properties for it, other than to turn off the 'sleep' checkbox after the problem started and there is no change to physical location - everything is in the same place, no nuclear reactor has come online in the last 48 hours, no new radio station been built over the road, etc/

If you don't know, or can't assist with a direct answer, then some good forums/info tools for troubleshooting myself would be a good start.

Please Help!!

Pete

TRENDING THREADS