Thoughts and advice on new build

keisuk3

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
these r the component that i have now:

i5 2500k (will be OC to 4.2-4.5ghz)
gigabyte 6950 (OC to 900 core and 1300 Mem)
60gb vertex 3 SSD
sata DVD burner
1tb WD sata HDD
antec 650W truepower PSU

these are the other parts that i plan on getting

500R case
H100 cooler
Asus p8p67 Pro
16gb DDR3 dual channel 1600mhz (any manufacture that has 9-9-9-24 r better)
might have to look into a 800 watt psu (any suggestions?)

my budget is around 600-700 (Canadian dollars) for the missing parts. i have a 32" Sony LCD TV that im using as my monitor @ 1080x1920 res
games i play r will be playing in the future (would like to play on max setting with all da eye candies)
sc2, GW2, LoL, WoW, STO, D3. lineage eternal

any advice r critique would be much appreciated. thanks

Not just any RAM is good enough. 4x4GBs is a lot of potential for failure. 4 sticks worth of potential.

Going with a generic brand and 4 sticks leaves you a lot of potential for getting a bad one. I would stick with Crucial RAM if it were me.

If you type in p8p67 crucial ram in google and go to the www.crucial.com link out of the options, you will see plenty of types that are tested to work with that board.

I don't see any good reason to trade in the Antec 650w for an 800 PSU at this moment. That being said, if you are sure you want more I would go with an XFX 750w or 850w as an upgrade.

keisuk3

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
i meant that i was going for the 4x4gb dual channel kit from any manufacture (corsair, kingston, crucial..etc) not 4 separate stick of 4gb. sorry for the confusion.

i was impression that a 650 would not cut it for the system if i intend to OC and i will likely get another 6950 down da road. should of mention that.... my bad

keisuk3

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
actually azeem40 the mobo has 4 slot and each stick is 4gb so with the magic of math

4slot x 4gb = 16gb

btw quad channel has 8 slot, 4 on each side of da cpu. i was not aware that they already made 8gb ram :eek:

im gettin 16gb because price of ram is too cheap to pass up. 16gb for less then 80 bucks

I understand you intend to go with 4x 4GB in two packs of two sticks each or possibly 1 pack of 4 sticks, however, that doesn't get around the fact that any of those 4 sticks can still be bad.

The more generic the ram is, the more likely at least 1 of those sticks really is bad. You can limit this risk by choosing RAM made by Crucial over other brands.

- Edit - It will be pretty hard for you to max out 2x 4GBs worth of RAM, especially since you have a page file too. The extra 8gb is kinda gratuitous. In any event, 2x 8GB really does exist, though it is rare and many boards don't support it.

keisuk3

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
i've used kingston and ocz dual and triple channel memory kit b4 and i never had any problem. i would only go with crucial if they are reasonably price with better timing then the other big companies. btw r u a spokesman for crucial xD

im almost 100% sure that the mobo does not support quad channel as that is with the new ivy bridge chipset (correct me if im wrong). dual channel is not limited to just two sticks of ram, you can also have dual channel with 4 ram slot.

even if i fill up all 4 slot it will not give me quad channel.

keisuk3

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
i disable page filing on my SSD and with apps, games, music and browsing + alt tabbing i only have a few hundred mb of memory free with 6gb of ram. i know its over kill but @ those price why not get it and not worry about lack of memory down the road. and yes the p8p67 support memory of 8gb

"The Max. 32GB memory capacity can be supported with DIMMs of 8GB (or above). ASUS will update QVL once the DIMMs are available on the market. "

If you think you will use above 8GBs enough to get your money's worth and you would rather not use page files then by all means go ahead. I usually try to steer people toward 2x 4GB because that is the sweet spot most of the time, but sometimes it makes sense to go with something else, especially if you don't want to use other memory management tools like page files.