Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Am I all set to overclock my fx 8120

Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 19, 2012 1:05:30 PM

I recently just did some major upgrading to my computer.

I bought the AMD FX 8120

and this is the motherboard I bought http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

8 gb of ddr3 RAM 1600 mhz, arctic cooling thermal paste

the cooler I have is this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - do you think it will do me well in overclocking?

My psu is DiabloTek PHD550 ATX Power Supply - 550W - hoping 550w is enough

I was also wondering if There are any windows updates that help fx 8120 since I have a pirated version--- I know but i have already bought it once and its just to expensive for me to buy twice in a row.

More about : set overclock 8120

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 19, 2012 4:21:53 PM

Yea you might have stability problems with that cheapo PSU since I've read through a few posts about unstable overclocks with low quality/no name brand psu's. You should also get a solid cpu cooler since it will get toasty.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 19, 2012 6:43:55 PM

since you have the components already there is little harm in trying.

the cooler is a bit weak, but will work for mild overclocking. The 212 EVO is the best value right now as far as new coolers. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Hy...

and as stated, watch your voltages closely when testing, if it bounces around too much, a better ps may be required. Asus AI software works well for that.
m
0
l
April 19, 2012 9:17:46 PM

forgot to mention i have a 6770 graphics card
m
0
l
a c 84 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 19, 2012 9:39:15 PM

elietu said:


My psu is DiabloTek PHD550 ATX Power Supply - 550W - hoping 550w is enough


LOL. your power supply will blow up if you try to overclock anything. DiabloTek PSU's are total junk and will not produce the power value written on the box, at least not for very long. replace it before you destroy your whole computer. an overclocked 8 core FX chip can draw serious amounts of power. you will want a GOOD QUALITY 650w psu, especially if you ever plan to upgrade your video card to something better.
m
0
l
April 19, 2012 9:46:34 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
LOL. your power supply will blow up if you try to overclock anything. DiabloTek PSU's are total junk and will not produce the power value written on the box, at least not for very long. replace it before you destroy your whole computer. an overclocked 8 core FX chip can draw serious amounts of power. you will want a GOOD QUALITY 650w psu, especially if you ever plan to upgrade your video card to something better.


Ive had it for a year and only noticable problem is when i open up my computer I notice its really hot.

It had fairly good reviews on tigerdirect at least...
m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
April 19, 2012 9:51:44 PM

elietu said:
Ive had it for a year and only noticable problem is when i open up my computer I notice its really hot.

It had fairly good reviews on tigerdirect at least...



Its not a very good PSU, and the problem with a not good PSU is that when they die, they do it in a murder-suicide fashion. crowe isn't kidding, Bulldozers can draw some serious power when you OC.

Id consider something like a Corsair TX650v2 or a 750 like mine.

The 750 is 105 from newegg, but a 650 is probably sufficient.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

When shopping for power supplies, look for a good warranty (5 years, and 80+ certification) .
m
0
l
April 21, 2012 2:40:03 PM

I have the Corsair 750TX myself. It's a vary good PSU. But whatever you pick stay away from the cheep brands. It's worth spending a little more money on a PSU then watching your whole system fry.
m
0
l
!