Making a new PC for gaming , require some advice

razius

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Hello guys,

after seeing how my PC is just pissing me off all the time , and that its pushing me to go to gaming cafes, I've decided to just get a new PC (wasting way too much money on cafes). i am gonna use the template so it helps you guys navigate faster. Budget : 3000$

here are the things I've decided ( might actually changed if some one suggested i do) :

Approximate Purchase Date: in the next coming week or two.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming , watching movies , surfing the internet.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon i guess.

Parts Preferences: Am looking into building Intel system this time due to the fact that my old pc is AMD. and the sandy bridge OC capabilities seem very good.

Overclocking: i want to keep it on the safe side so am going to say , non-extreme overclocking.

SLI/Crossfire: games that i play at the moment generally don't need that much power i guess(SWTOR,WOW,D3,Tera, FFXIV), but i guess in the future would be Yes.

Monitor resolution: 1920x1080

Here are some of the parts i have looked at and i've taking a liking to:

CPU: Intel I7-2700k - LGA 1155

Motherboard: Asrock z68 extreme7 gen3 OR Fatality z68

SSD: Corsair Force Series 3 60gb SSD

HDD: Seagate barracuda 1TB

Ram: Corsair 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3 2000MHZ CL10 Vengence.

PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold M1000 1000W

Windows7

so here are some of the parts i choose, i couldn't think of a videocard/case/cooling and other things that i cant remember. would really appreciate any pointers or changes and suggestions.

longpig

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
i5 2500k will be good - the i7 is overkill.
Both mobo's use dual channel RAM - so 8Gb will be fine. Your choice is triple channel.
With a budget that large you may want to look at a GTX580 or wait a little for the next gen cards - Nvidia 6xx or Radeon 7xxx

razius

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
why is the i7 over kill :p?

also what mobo supports triple channel then? and any idea when the nvidia 6xx? i know the radeon is coming out soon , but am not a big fan of radeon for some reason

Fuddy12345

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010

The i5 2500k is more bang for your dirham than the i7 2600k. There is little difference in gaming unless you are looking to do some extreme overclocks. Personally, I would save the money and use it for other parts.

In regards to the Seagate hard drive, please give us the model number of the hard drive as some of them have problems.

For the motherboard, if you want to save a little bit of money, go with the Fatal1ty. They are both great motherboards and the price difference is small so its up to you.

The Nvidia 600 series are said to be launched in late Q1 2012 or most likely Q2 2012.

The 1000W PSU is unnecessary. Get a 850W from Corsair, Seasonic or XFX. Its best if you get a modular one.