Help: Silverstone SG08 for mini-itx-gaming-build?

ZapperBrannigan

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Hey all

I'm planning a Mini-ITX build for casual gaming. First I was thinking of getting a Lian Li Q08B case, but the Silverstone SG08 might be more interesting.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=317&area=en

There isn't alot of infomation about the SG08 on youtube, tomshardware, this forum etc...., even less in connection to my parts preferences. Do anyone know if it can be done? or is it better to stick with the Lian Li Q08?

Approximate Purchase Date: 1Q 2012

Budget Range: about 1.500$

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Casual gaming like ANNO 2070, SWTOR and DiabloIII

Parts Preferences: Intel I5-2500K, Corsair Force GT 120gb SSD, Zotac z68itx, Zotac Geforce GTX 560TI

Overclocking: Maybe, but not without another cpu-cooler maybe Corsair h60

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1200

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Hello, I couldn't find any further information either. Unless someone else has actual experience here, I'm going to tell you what rule I live by: When in doubt, go with what you know will work.

dalenchm0b

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
I built something quite similar to your proposed build using the SG07, which is just the earlier version of the SG08 with a silver face instead of a black face. I used the same CPU and mobo, but instead of an SSD, I used two 2.5" HDDs in RAID 0 and a 3.5" drive for storage. Also, I used a longer video card (GTX 460 2win). Lastly, I installed the H60 in a push-pull configuration by removing the single Air Penetrator fan that is installed at the top of the case and installing a the combo radiator/fans. With all that said, I am impressed with the power of an ITX gaming computer BUT it was a real pain in the bum to overclock it! The UEFI that is implemented is really poor and doesn't allow you to change the multiplier without also enabling Intel Speedstep. In other words, while you can increase the multiplier, if the CPU isn't being taxed, the multiplier will drop down to the lowest multiplier possible. This makes overclocking difficult because of the sudden voltage changes that will inevitably occur. So, in answer to your question, you can definitely use the SG08 to build a nice ITX gaming computer, but if you don't mind building something a little bigger (height wise, but not nearly as long), I would recommend using the Silverstone FT03 with the Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z gen 3. I built an X58 based system with the same case and the rampage III gene and it is freaking awesome.

So, in summary, yes, you can build a mini ITX system with the components you listed and even get a mild overclock out of it, but from my experience with similar components, I would have built an Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z mATX sandy bridge box instead of ITX. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with whatever you choose!

ZapperBrannigan

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Thanks for the info.

It would save me a few bucks if I deside not to overclock it, because I could use the standard-fan from Intel.

I don't know if I would go for a bigger case, although I really like the Corsair 600T Special Edition case.

Hard choice to make :)