Sign in with
Your question

Eyefinity with 2x 6950 and 3 displays all with DVI ports

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 9, 2011 10:21:24 PM

Hi!
I got 3 screens with DVI ports, and when i connected them to the graphic cards, the first two on the primary graphic card and one to the second graphic card, catalyst control center don’t detect the third screen on the secondary card. What am I to do? How do I get catalyst to detect the third one, or should I use another program?

Many thanks!
November 9, 2011 11:52:47 PM

While looking a bit more in catalyst I found that if I have cross-fire disabled, catalyst can detect all three screens, but still only the screens connected to the primary card are able to be extended with each other and leaving the screen connected to the secondary card on the side on its own. So the question still remains how I extend all three screens together? May cross-fire be able to be enabled at that time also? Is it that if cross-fire is enabled, the ports on the secondary card are disabled?
a c 143 U Graphics card
November 10, 2011 12:00:02 AM

Hello and Welcome,

To answer your first question, To support 3 monitor setup (Eyefinity) one monitor must have a native DisplayPort, if your monitor doesn't have one, you can use the "Active" DisplayPort to DVI/HDMI adapter, (You plug the adapter to the mini DP in your GPU)
Note: It must be an Active DisplayPort adapter, not passive (you can find it on newegg) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

To answer your second question, When CF is enabled, all the ports in the secondary card are disabled. So you can support up to 4 monitors via the DP ports & DVI ports in the primary GPU.
Related resources
a c 175 U Graphics card
November 10, 2011 12:00:06 AM

It works that way for Nvidia, not AMD. All the monitors need to be connected to the primary card. Up to two DVI, the others much use the DPs. Single link adapter?
a c 143 U Graphics card
November 10, 2011 12:26:06 AM

@4745454b, are you talking to me ?
a c 175 U Graphics card
November 10, 2011 12:52:39 AM

OP. Your reply wasn't up when I was talking/typing. Does it matter? We said the same thing.
a c 143 U Graphics card
November 10, 2011 12:54:19 AM

No problem mate, i thought you were talking to me, next time refer to the one you're talking to ;) 
a c 175 U Graphics card
November 10, 2011 2:56:35 AM

Or next time don't assume you are the center of the universe? I'll try to remember that even if I don't see anyone's reply I have to assume that someone will beat me to it.
November 10, 2011 3:27:08 PM

Ohh thanks alot both of you! Got my questions answered so now i fill up with some new. ^^

So now I did run down to the local apple store to find a "Mini Displayport to DVI adapter": http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB572Z/A?fnode=MTY1ND...
to try something faster than waiting for something to be shipped overseas ;)  or at all. I asked alot about it but the seller had no clue about "acive" and such...
But... now when i have it, Im not allowed by catalyst to run all 3 screens in the same time, nither extend nor duplicate the third one and it dosent matter wich screen it is. So this time is it that i got the wrong adapter or is there some unlock thing i have to do in catalyst? :S It finds them all but still it won't work.
November 10, 2011 3:33:12 PM

And...
When going to "Eyefinity Multi-Display" to create a groupe, the only two potions are 1x2 and 2x1 and not 3x1. Just adding some information.
November 15, 2011 6:01:25 PM

Yey... now this was fun, now I’ve bought the wrong cable, biggest noob ever. I don’t have a displayport on my HIS 6950, I got 2 DVI, 1 HDMI and 2 Mini DP, will this adapter do it? http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=627425 even tho it says Mini, it’s a "usual on the picture so will call them and ask (local store, or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... on newegg)
I’m asking this simple noobish question because I don’t want to spend more time and money on the wrong stuff, your guidance is most welcome ilysaml!
a c 143 U Graphics card
November 15, 2011 6:51:58 PM

Yes,That's the Active adapter we're talking about, and yes the HD 6950/70 have mini DP. This adapter comes for free with most Hd 6xx series from Sapphire.
November 16, 2011 5:00:24 AM

Thank you! Then I'll get this adapter right away! With 3 days with delivery xD
November 16, 2011 6:22:38 AM

ive got the exact same problem but i only have 1 card thanks for that link ilysaml i just ordered one maybe you can help with my problem its in the newest thread titled display resolution
November 18, 2011 1:05:11 PM

Still having a issue with my third screen. I got the right adapter, I test it, gets 5760*1080 and I'm just... wow... turns of the computer and tend to other things, get back 4 hours later, and now I can't get it the screen connected to the adapter to full hd and the computer do not longer recognize the screen and says its not supported???? What have happend? I always ask which buttons have been pressed to such a question, but all I did was creating eyefinity 3*1, testing with battlefield and shut the computer down, and when i started, they where not in eyefinity and the screen connected via the mini displayport is acting weird :S
November 18, 2011 1:31:39 PM

I changes screen, changing port on the graphic card and then finaly gives up awaiting your answer, disables the defect screen and POFFF, all three gest activated and duplicated, all in Full HD like nothing have happened, so what did happen? :S
!