getting digital pictures from camera to computer

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
May 10, 2005 5:11:29 AM

Gentleman: I am having trouble getting my pictures from my digital camera
to my PC. I have a DSL connection from Verizon. When I try to download my
pictures my image software goes through a search of my machine to find the
baud rate that I am connected with. From 8 K
to 56 K. I can't get anything to work using my DSL connection. Do I need
new software or is there a way to download from my camera that I don't know
about. I have PhotoImpact 4.2.

Sincerely,
Steve Cist
baseballhero@msn.com
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 5:11:30 AM

What operating system are you using?

"W H CIST" <stevecist@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Gentleman: I am having trouble getting my pictures from my digital
> camera to my PC. I have a DSL connection from Verizon. When I try to
> download my pictures my image software goes through a search of my machine
> to find the baud rate that I am connected with. From 8 K
> to 56 K. I can't get anything to work using my DSL connection. Do I need
> new software or is there a way to download from my camera that I don't
> know about. I have PhotoImpact 4.2.
>
> Sincerely,
> Steve Cist
> baseballhero@msn.com

May 10, 2005 5:11:30 AM

W H CIST wrote:

> Gentleman: I am having trouble getting my pictures from my digital
> camera
> to my PC. I have a DSL connection from Verizon.

And these have what to do with each other?

> I can't get anything to work using my DSL connection.

????

Best bet is go spend $10 for a card reader.
--

Stacey
May 10, 2005 5:11:30 AM

"W H CIST" <stevecist@verizon.net> writes:

> Gentleman: I am having trouble getting my pictures from my digital
> camera to my PC. I have a DSL connection from Verizon. When I try
> to download my pictures my image software goes through a search of
> my machine to find the baud rate that I am connected with. From 8 K
> to 56 K. I can't get anything to work using my DSL connection. Do
> I need new software or is there a way to download from my camera
> that I don't know about. I have PhotoImpact 4.2.

DSL and your internet connection are completely unrelated to moving
data from a digital camera to your PC. Are you using proprietary
software related to your camera? That's usually the problem. Things
work much better if you simply plug your camera in as an external disk
drive and use normal windows tools to copy the files. Or, even
better, a separate memory card reader.
May 10, 2005 5:52:46 AM

W H CIST wrote:
> Gentleman: I am having trouble getting my pictures from my digital camera
> to my PC. I have a DSL connection from Verizon. When I try to download my
> pictures my image software goes through a search of my machine to find the
> baud rate that I am connected with. From 8 K
> to 56 K. I can't get anything to work using my DSL connection. Do I need
> new software or is there a way to download from my camera that I don't know
> about. I have PhotoImpact 4.2.
>
> Sincerely,
> Steve Cist
> baseballhero@msn.com

You need to tell us what camera you sue, and what computer/OS. It seems
you need to also read the instruction manual. Pictures come into the
computer via another route separate from the DSL connection.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> "W H CIST" <stevecist@verizon.net> writes:
>

>>Gentleman: I am having trouble getting my pictures from my digital
>>camera to my PC. I have a DSL connection from Verizon. When I try
>>to download my pictures my image software goes through a search of
>>my machine to find the baud rate that I am connected with. From 8 K
>>to 56 K. I can't get anything to work using my DSL connection. Do
>>I need new software or is there a way to download from my camera
>>that I don't know about. I have PhotoImpact 4.2.
>

> DSL and your internet connection are completely unrelated to moving
> data from a digital camera to your PC. Are you using proprietary
> software related to your camera? That's usually the problem. Things
> work much better if you simply plug your camera in as an external disk
> drive and use normal windows tools to copy the files. Or, even
> better, a separate memory card reader.

Hi...

Something a little fishy here - but just in case I'm wrong...

I, too, recommend a card reader, *if* the camera has a
removable card.

Otherwise he's going to have to tell us the make and model
of camera to get any useful help.

Ken
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 9:13:58 AM

Ken Weitzel wrote:

> David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>
>> "W H CIST" <stevecist@verizon.net> writes:
>>

>>> Gentleman: I am having trouble getting my pictures from my digital
>>> camera to my PC. I have a DSL connection from Verizon. When I try
>>> to download my pictures my image software goes through a search of
>>> my machine to find the baud rate that I am connected with. From 8 K
>>> to 56 K. I can't get anything to work using my DSL connection. Do
>>> I need new software or is there a way to download from my camera
>>> that I don't know about. I have PhotoImpact 4.2.
>>

>> DSL and your internet connection are completely unrelated to moving
>> data from a digital camera to your PC. Are you using proprietary
>> software related to your camera? That's usually the problem. Things
>> work much better if you simply plug your camera in as an external disk
>> drive and use normal windows tools to copy the files. Or, even
>> better, a separate memory card reader.
>

> Hi...
>
> Something a little fishy here - but just in case I'm wrong...
>
> I, too, recommend a card reader, *if* the camera has a
> removable card.
>
> Otherwise he's going to have to tell us the make and model
> of camera to get any useful help.
>
> Ken

I sounds like he has an ancient model with serial interface, and doesn't
know where to plug it in. A card reader might be a good investment.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 12:22:10 PM

W H CIST wrote:
> Gentleman: I am having trouble getting my pictures from my digital camera
> to my PC. I have a DSL connection from Verizon. When I try to download my
> pictures my image software goes through a search of my machine to find the
> baud rate that I am connected with. From 8 K
> to 56 K. I can't get anything to work using my DSL connection. Do I need
> new software or is there a way to download from my camera that I don't know
> about. I have PhotoImpact 4.2.
>
> Sincerely,
> Steve Cist
> baseballhero@msn.com

Are you trying to do this remotely? That is, are you in a different
geographical location than your computer? DSL is a way to connect to
the internet, so you'd need an internet capable camera. Most modern
cameras use USB between the computer and camera, never get internet
involved.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 7:34:36 PM

On Mon, 9 May 2005 19:30:32 -0600, Sheldon wrote:

> What operating system are you using?

Most likely Windows (as opposed to a Mac OS or linux). But which
Windows OS only W H CIST knows. He's using Outlook Express, btw.
which I assume is not available on the Mac unless it's running
Windows emulating software.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 11:44:11 PM

"ASAAR" <caught@22.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 9 May 2005 19:30:32 -0600, Sheldon wrote:
>
>> What operating system are you using?
>
> Most likely Windows (as opposed to a Mac OS or linux). But which
> Windows OS only W H CIST knows. He's using Outlook Express, btw.
> which I assume is not available on the Mac unless it's running
> Windows emulating software.

The reason I ask is that if he's using XP he should be able to uninstall the
software that came with the camera and XP will find the camera or card
reader and automatically dump the photos into the My Pictures folder.
!