Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upgrading my Video Card on my ASUS P5K

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 9, 2011 11:38:24 PM

Hey Guys,

I was wondering what type of video-card i could get to upgrade my system without totally bottle necking. My system is 3 years old.

My Current setup

Win XP Pro 32bit
Asus P5K Mobo
Intel Core 2 QUAD Cpu Q9450 @ 2.66Ghz 2.67Ghz
4 gig ram (4 sticks of 800mhz)
BFG GTX 260 896mb(Used on a LG 32inch 1080)
400 gig hd (not sure about specs, its 3 years old)

Just curious what i should pickup... i see some nice deals on newegg for 150$. I would like to stay nvidia if possible to. I would also like to know if memory should be something i should upgrade...i can go do DDR2 1066.

-Anthony Votruba
Jmsvt010503@hotmail.com
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2011 11:45:02 PM

I would say grab a GTX 460 1gb MSI Hawk. Great deal with the rebate last time I checked. As for the memory, you won't see a difference between 800mhz and 1066mhz. Just a waste of money. Alos, can you OC the CPU? If you can, I would grab a hd6870 and try for 3Ghz.
m
0
l
November 9, 2011 11:47:05 PM

Will i see a big difference going from my old video card?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2011 12:13:55 AM

Yeah, you will see a big difference if you are playing modern games. Also, I just purchased that exact card! It is very quite, feels well built, and looks very cool. Haven't had a chance to game on it yet though. :(  But I had a hd6850 which is bassically the same and that gave good performance too. So yeah, I would say grab that GTX 460 unless you can get the MSI hawk for less.
m
0
l
November 10, 2011 12:34:31 AM

Im wondering to, my mobo isnt pci-e 2.0.... all the cards are backwards compatible correct??
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2011 12:54:04 PM

jumper156 said:
Im wondering to, my mobo isnt pci-e 2.0.... all the cards are backwards compatible correct??

Yeah, It will work like a PCI-E 2.0 x8 slot. The performance difference is about 2%. So you could lose about 1 FPS in some games. So really, it doesn't matter. I ran my hd6850 is a 1.0x slot and it worked great, don't worry.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2011 1:06:47 PM

That ASUS card is a great performer, definitely a recommended buy. Keep in mind though that it will take up an extra slot in your case because of the larger cooler.

If you are looking for something smaller, check out MSI. They usually have very nice coolers that take up one less slot.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2011 3:00:02 PM

Warmacblu said:
That ASUS card is a great performer, definitely a recommended buy. Keep in mind though that it will take up an extra slot in your case because of the larger cooler.

If you are looking for something smaller, check out MSI. They usually have very nice coolers that take up one less slot.

You do realize that the ASUS and MSI cards are both dual slot, right?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2011 3:00:53 PM

By the way, the MSI GTX 460 HAWK is in stock on newegg for the same price, I would grab that!
m
0
l
November 10, 2011 3:43:10 PM

What does Duel Slot mean? Do i just need to make sure i have room next to my vid card?
m
0
l
November 10, 2011 3:43:59 PM

My BFG 260 just fit lol.... is this card bigger?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2011 4:22:02 PM

Well, I Believe the GTX 460 1gb from asus is about 10.5 inches. I can go measure in a minute. Also, dual slot just means how many expansion slots it will take. You have 6 expansion slots. So if you put the card in the blue slot (The one that you should or it will not run as fast), it will cover the PCI slot next to it. So as long you are not using the PCI slot next to it, you will be fine.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2011 4:27:32 PM

Including the DVI port, about 10 inches, without it, about 9.5 inches.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2011 4:43:08 PM

I could have sworn the ASUS DirectCU coolers were 3 slots, I guess that only applies to the GTX 560,70, and 80.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2011 5:05:07 PM

Warmacblu said:
I could have sworn the ASUS DirectCU coolers were 3 slots, I guess that only applies to the GTX 560,70, and 80.

Yes, although for the 5xx series they do also have some dual slot coolers. As for the 4xx series, it is dual slot.
m
0
l
November 10, 2011 5:49:36 PM

Is it worh getting a 5xx series card? I have the room for either i checked, my gtx 260 takes up the slot next to it.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2011 5:55:22 PM

jumper156 said:
Is it worh getting a 5xx series card? I have the room for either i checked, my gtx 260 takes up the slot next to it.

No, your CPU will bottlneck a 5xx series card unless you get a GTX 560 and at least hit 3Ghz on an OC. If you are getting a GTX 560, just go with a hd6870 instead. In your situation, more than a GTX 460 1gb is a waste.
m
0
l
November 10, 2011 7:07:38 PM

So whats 3Ghz on an OC, is that an overclock?

Is this my cpu, im sure i could overclock it 5-10% easily.

Im also wondering should i upgrade to Windows 7 so i can take advantage of higher versions of direct x? Will 9.0c cut it?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2011 3:32:15 PM

Yes, an OC is a overclock. Well, your board does not look like a good overclocker, but I think you could get 3Ghz without a problem. As for DX 9, it is fading out. Most people have Win 7 now, so some games are you using DX 11 perdiod. Like BF3 and another I can't remember the name. So, just OC a bit, and if you can get Win 7, grab it.
m
0
l
November 21, 2011 4:13:25 PM

So i ordered a Radeon Asus HD6870

purchased 8 gig of ram

and have win7 on the way.

Hopefully this makes some sort of different.

I went from ddr2 800 6300 i believe to ddr2 1066 8500.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2011 4:18:17 PM

jumper156 said:
So i ordered a Radeon Asus HD6870

purchased 8 gig of ram

and have win7 on the way.

Hopefully this makes some sort of different.

I went from ddr2 800 6300 i believe to ddr2 1066 8500.

Sounds like you are up to date! :)  Are you going to OC the CPU a bit though? Would help in newer games.

Hope I have helped. :) 
m
0
l
November 21, 2011 4:29:29 PM

Yah definetly i found an asus program to do it. Hopefully everything works good. Im hoping i can keep playing wow and some of my favorite games for the next year or two. Diablo 3 especially which im beta testing atm.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2011 4:31:28 PM

Good good! When it gets here tell us the performance increase!
m
0
l
December 2, 2011 8:45:33 PM

So i installed the card, it runs really nice. I didnt see much of an improvement on Worlds of Warcraft but i see drastic differences on my other games.

I haven't installed the ram yet. I tried putting it on but my xp operating system would not recognize it. Im sure once i get windows 7 loaded i can put this stuff in and reap the rewards from 4 gig to 8gig.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 10:11:06 PM

What are the FPS gains? Sounds nice though. Yeah, if you get a 64-bit OS, you can use more than 4gb. SO MAKE SURE YOU GET WIN 7 64-BIT!!!!!!
m
0
l
December 6, 2011 11:10:23 AM

I havent had time to install windows 7 yet. Ill let ya know once its up and i get my games reinstalled. I have no idea about the fps btw. I played Dawn of War Retribution though for example and it felt like a brand new game.
m
0
l
February 15, 2012 4:55:20 PM

Windows 7 installed perfectly. I didn't even have to use any of the drivers from my mobo disc. Hopefully the memory will work fine, i am going to install it after work today.

Originally when i tried to use the memory xp would not load. It registered on the pc itself though in the bios. Hopefully with windows 7 it just comes right up.

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2012 5:13:32 PM

Yeah, it should work with a 64-bit OS. XP was generally 32-bit.
m
0
l
February 15, 2012 5:27:00 PM

Will see, ill post about it tonight. =D
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2012 5:29:36 PM

Cool! :) 
m
0
l
February 16, 2012 11:25:21 AM

So i could not get the memory to work. Gives me the same message it was giving me when i was running windows XP.

(Cannot detect Cpu... then it tells me to go into the bios to unleash its power.)

This makes no sense to me. I can only think i purchased the incorrect memory.

Win XP Pro 32bit
Asus P5K Mobo
Intel Core 2 QUAD Cpu Q9450 @ 2.66Ghz 2.67Ghz
4 gig ram (4 sticks of 800mhz)
BFG GTX 260 896mb(Used on a LG 32inch 1080)
400 gig hd (not sure about specs, its 3 years old)

I am also pretty pissed because after this it asked me to restore my pc from the last safe point. Which i didn't even have to do. It brought my pc back right to where i had just freshly installed Win7 Ultimate 64. Pretty annoying lol. Now i cant get the pc to recognize my LG tv which it had already done before( its doing this on my ati options, but not on the device manager)(Device manager shows a pnp generic monitor). I had to manually install a few other things to. Seems back to normal though. I also have a few dots randomly appearing on the screen now. I am thinking i just need to reconnect the monitor cable.

Pretty annoying night overall.

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2012 12:28:31 PM

jumper156 said:
So i could not get the memory to work. Gives me the same message it was giving me when i was running windows XP.

(Cannot detect Cpu... then it tells me to go into the bios to unleash its power.)

This makes no sense to me. I can only think i purchased the incorrect memory.

Win XP Pro 32bit
Asus P5K Mobo
Intel Core 2 QUAD Cpu Q9450 @ 2.66Ghz 2.67Ghz
4 gig ram (4 sticks of 800mhz)
BFG GTX 260 896mb(Used on a LG 32inch 1080)
400 gig hd (not sure about specs, its 3 years old)

I am also pretty pissed because after this it asked me to restore my pc from the last safe point. Which i didn't even have to do. It brought my pc back right to where i had just freshly installed Win7 Ultimate 64. Pretty annoying lol. Now i cant get the pc to recognize my LG tv which it had already done before( its doing this on my ati options, but not on the device manager)(Device manager shows a pnp generic monitor). I had to manually install a few other things to. Seems back to normal though. I also have a few dots randomly appearing on the screen now. I am thinking i just need to reconnect the monitor cable.

Pretty annoying night overall.

So it told you that you still only had 4gb RAM and you are running a 64-bit OS? Run the RAM is a different slot. Maybe that will help. Also, for the monitor, maybe you need to install GPU drivers. Also, get the most recent board drivers you have! Maybe that is what is stopping you.
m
0
l
February 16, 2012 12:35:33 PM

It doesn't even get to the part telling me my memory and stats. When i load the bios i see the 8 gig though. This was with (4) 2 gig sticks. My old memory was (4) 1 gig sticks. The old memory still works fine.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2012 12:55:35 PM

jumper156 said:
It doesn't even get to the part telling me my memory and stats. When i load the bios i see the 8 gig though. This was with (4) 2 gig sticks. My old memory was (4) 1 gig sticks. The old memory still works fine.

Okay, so your RAM is being recognized, which means that a slot is not broken and if you haven't got any blue screens or hangs, you are probably okay there. What memory is it? 4x2gb 800Mhz, correct?

You unistalled win XP, installed Win 7 64-BIT, and now it won't let you load windows? I would reset the CMOS.
m
0
l
February 16, 2012 12:56:49 PM

I installed the most recent ati drivers. I have not had a chance to try it with 1 stick. Ill do that tonight. I might try another complete reinstall tonight also.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2012 1:00:21 PM

You got a GTX 460, right? Why are you using ATI drivers?????? You need Nvidia drivers. Also, I would just try to re-install Win 7. Make sure you grab the 64-bit software! I would install Windows with 1 stick of RAM and add more after the install, then see if it all runs.
m
0
l
February 16, 2012 1:08:31 PM

I got an ASUS Radeon HD 6870. Which seems to run pretty nice.

How do i reset the cmos?
m
0
l
February 16, 2012 1:11:02 PM

Im pretty sure i have the correct windows 7 stuff installed to. It told me it was 64 bit when i look at the stats on windows itself.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2012 1:11:31 PM

jumper156 said:
I got an ASUS Radeon HD 6870. Which seems to run pretty nice.

How do i reset the cmos?

Well, I am guessing your board doesn't have a reset CMOS button, but all boards (I believe) have a few of pins with a clip over two of them. You move the clip over to the others for a couple seconds and move it back. That should clear the CMOS.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2012 1:12:15 PM

jumper156 said:
Im pretty sure i have the correct windows 7 stuff installed to. It told me it was 64 bit when i look at the stats on windows itself.

Oh., I thought it wouldn't let you boot into Windows. So when you boot into windows, does it say you have 8gb RAM though?
m
0
l
February 16, 2012 1:29:46 PM

Doesn't let me boot into windows with the 8 gig. It loads my ASUS screen... shows a screen to load the HD then it gives me the "cannot detect cpu screen". From here it asks me to go into the bios and change stuff.

I still dont know why it would tell me it cant detect my cpu... weird.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2012 1:40:40 PM

jumper156 said:
Doesn't let me boot into windows with the 8 gig. It loads my ASUS screen... shows a screen to load the HD then it gives me the "cannot detect cpu screen". From here it asks me to go into the bios and change stuff.

I still dont know why it would tell me it cant detect my cpu... weird.

Take your CPU out, and then put it back in. Although, it worked to install windows, so I am not sure.
m
0
l
February 16, 2012 1:53:18 PM

Yep its a mystery. Works perfectly fine with my old memory, the new memory gives it the cpu message.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2012 1:57:16 PM

jumper156 said:
Yep its a mystery. Works perfectly fine with my old memory, the new memory gives it the cpu message.

Hm. That sounds like the memory isn't compatible for some reason. Make sure all the memory timings, voltages, and speed are correct in the BIOS.
m
0
l
February 16, 2012 2:00:26 PM

All my settings are set to auto. I wouldnt know the first thing about playing with memory settings.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2012 2:04:35 PM

jumper156 said:
All my settings are set to auto. I wouldnt know the first thing about playing with memory settings.

Check out your memory specs then. If you have memory speced @ 800Mhz, 5-5-5-15 timings, and say 1.9v, that is what you set it to. What is your memory, I can give you the timings, Mhz, and voltage most likely.
m
0
l
February 16, 2012 2:06:51 PM

I can find out tonight.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2012 2:08:06 PM

jumper156 said:
I can find out tonight.

Well, If you just tell me what RAM you have, I can just do the research now and then you can check it tonight, unless you don't know what RAM you got. Although, it is always good to know your hardware!
m
0
l
!