Upgrading my Video Card on my ASUS P5K

jumper156

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Hey Guys,

I was wondering what type of video-card i could get to upgrade my system without totally bottle necking. My system is 3 years old.

My Current setup

Win XP Pro 32bit
Asus P5K Mobo
Intel Core 2 QUAD Cpu Q9450 @ 2.66Ghz 2.67Ghz
4 gig ram (4 sticks of 800mhz)
BFG GTX 260 896mb(Used on a LG 32inch 1080)
400 gig hd (not sure about specs, its 3 years old)

Just curious what i should pickup... i see some nice deals on newegg for 150$. I would like to stay nvidia if possible to. I would also like to know if memory should be something i should upgrade...i can go do DDR2 1066.

-Anthony Votruba
Jmsvt010503@hotmail.com

I would say grab a GTX 460 1gb MSI Hawk. Great deal with the rebate last time I checked. As for the memory, you won't see a difference between 800mhz and 1066mhz. Just a waste of money. Alos, can you OC the CPU? If you can, I would grab a hd6870 and try for 3Ghz.

Yeah, you will see a big difference if you are playing modern games. Also, I just purchased that exact card! It is very quite, feels well built, and looks very cool. Haven't had a chance to game on it yet though. :( But I had a hd6850 which is bassically the same and that gave good performance too. So yeah, I would say grab that GTX 460 unless you can get the MSI hawk for less.

Yeah, It will work like a PCI-E 2.0 x8 slot. The performance difference is about 2%. So you could lose about 1 FPS in some games. So really, it doesn't matter. I ran my hd6850 is a 1.0x slot and it worked great, don't worry.

Warmacblu

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
That ASUS card is a great performer, definitely a recommended buy. Keep in mind though that it will take up an extra slot in your case because of the larger cooler.

If you are looking for something smaller, check out MSI. They usually have very nice coolers that take up one less slot.

You do realize that the ASUS and MSI cards are both dual slot, right?

Well, I Believe the GTX 460 1gb from asus is about 10.5 inches. I can go measure in a minute. Also, dual slot just means how many expansion slots it will take. You have 6 expansion slots. So if you put the card in the blue slot (The one that you should or it will not run as fast), it will cover the PCI slot next to it. So as long you are not using the PCI slot next to it, you will be fine.

No, your CPU will bottlneck a 5xx series card unless you get a GTX 560 and at least hit 3Ghz on an OC. If you are getting a GTX 560, just go with a hd6870 instead. In your situation, more than a GTX 460 1gb is a waste.

jumper156

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
So whats 3Ghz on an OC, is that an overclock?

Is this my cpu, im sure i could overclock it 5-10% easily.

Im also wondering should i upgrade to Windows 7 so i can take advantage of higher versions of direct x? Will 9.0c cut it?

Yes, an OC is a overclock. Well, your board does not look like a good overclocker, but I think you could get 3Ghz without a problem. As for DX 9, it is fading out. Most people have Win 7 now, so some games are you using DX 11 perdiod. Like BF3 and another I can't remember the name. So, just OC a bit, and if you can get Win 7, grab it.

jumper156

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
So i ordered a Radeon Asus HD6870

purchased 8 gig of ram

and have win7 on the way.

Hopefully this makes some sort of different.

I went from ddr2 800 6300 i believe to ddr2 1066 8500.

Sounds like you are up to date! :) Are you going to OC the CPU a bit though? Would help in newer games.

Hope I have helped. :)

jumper156

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Yah definetly i found an asus program to do it. Hopefully everything works good. Im hoping i can keep playing wow and some of my favorite games for the next year or two. Diablo 3 especially which im beta testing atm.

jumper156

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
So i installed the card, it runs really nice. I didnt see much of an improvement on Worlds of Warcraft but i see drastic differences on my other games.

I haven't installed the ram yet. I tried putting it on but my xp operating system would not recognize it. Im sure once i get windows 7 loaded i can put this stuff in and reap the rewards from 4 gig to 8gig.