Last response: in CPUs
April 19, 2012 5:40:36 PM

Hello,

Recently I noticed something strange- my CPU temps(idle) were as follows:
Core1: 53C
Core2: 53C
Core3: 68C
Core4: 55C

Now I know that's not normal, because the normal temps are ~45C. The strange part is, when I put my CPU under load, the temperatures don't rise drastically. The difference is about 2-3C per core and about 5-6C for the third core, which for some reason is always hot. I've tested with several programs- Core Temp, Real Temp, SpeedFan and Hmonitor. They all showed the same results.

Any ideas on why this is happening? I was thinking a faulty censor on the motherboard, but I don't understand this stuff really well...

Thanks in advance.

More about : q9300 temps

a b à CPUs
April 19, 2012 5:46:18 PM

indoor temps rise?
April 19, 2012 6:51:51 PM

The room's temperature is 20-23 degrees, if that's what you mean.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 19, 2012 6:57:58 PM

is your "idle load" still the same as before?
a b à CPUs
April 19, 2012 6:58:44 PM

is that warmer then when it would idle at 45c?

if your load temps are fine, seems like they are, then it really isn't a major issue

if you want, you can always re-seat your cooler with fresh thermal paste (clean off the old paste)
April 19, 2012 7:05:48 PM

Not sure what you have done so far for troubleshooting.

Have you tried re-seating your heatsink? Applying new thermal paste to it? Blow out any dust in the heatsink and case?

Max operating temp for that CPU is 71.4C.
April 19, 2012 8:54:51 PM

Quote:
is your "idle load" still the same as before?

Yes.

Quote:
Not sure what you have done so far for troubleshooting.

Have you tried re-seating your heatsink? Applying new thermal paste to it? Blow out any dust in the heatsink and case?

Max operating temp for that CPU is 71.4C.

Nah, a friend that does a lot of rendering and editing has had it up go up to 95C at max, so I'm not worried about that, just the idle temps. And for troubleshooting, I'm not very familiar with removing/placing fans and applying thermal paste, so I'll probably take it to a professional. Do you think that will fix it? :/  And should I be worried at all if the load temps are normal, like dirtyferret said?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 19, 2012 9:13:38 PM

ah . .95 is too hot and very bad.

reapplying thermal paste is pretty easy, there are lots of tutorials and vidoes on how to do it correctly.
!