Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New PC worked, now getting "No Signal"

Last response: in Systems
January 7, 2012 9:47:44 PM

Hi all,

I recently built my first PC (finished xmas day) and got it up and running and it worked using two different monitors. I have just moved and have connected it to both my Samsung HDTV and an Acer monitor and both give "No Signal" warning.

To trouble shoot I did the following:
1. Used different cables to connect to screens, including VGA cable with DVI adaptor (this is what I used on the two different monitors that worked when I set up the computer), DVI cable, HDMI to DVI cable, VGA cable with Display Port adaptor.
2. Reseated RAM
3. Moved video card from installed PCI-E slot to the other one on the motherboard.
4. Unplugged all power cables and connections and reseated them.

When I power on, all fans start up, the hard drive spins and the front panel light is lit, I simply get "No Signal" on the screen(s).

Any help with what may be the culprit would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Specs are:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (64-bit) SP1 DVD – OEM

Processor:
AMD PhenomTM II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz w/ 8MB

Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 w/ Dual DDR3 1866, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, 1394, PCI-E, CrossFireX

Video Card:
Gigabyte Radeon HD 6870 Windforce 915MHZ 1GB 4.2GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI Display Port PCI-E Video Card

HT Omega Claro Plus + 7.1 Channel PCI Sound Card 24BIT DTS Dolby Digital Live S/PDIF IN/OUT Coaxial

CPU Cooler:
Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 CPU Cooler

DVD Drive:
Samsung SH-222AL 22x SpeedPlusTM DVD-Writer, SATA, Black

PSU:
Seasonic X760 Gold ATX 12V 24PIN 750W Active PFC 80PLUS Gold Modular SLI Ready Power Supply

RAM:
Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-1600 XMP Dual Channel Memory Kit

HD:
WD 2TB Caviar Green something or other.

More about : worked signal

January 7, 2012 9:57:46 PM

Have you used the OSD (on screen display) on the monitor to select the proper input ?

All cables still in after the move ?
January 7, 2012 10:01:34 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Have you used the OSD (on screen display) on the monitor to select the proper input ?

All cables still in after the move ?

Yah, I have tried to cycle through inputs...the monitor only has VGA and a DVI and I have tried connecting to both, with various cable/ cable and adaptor combos. The same is true for the HDTV which has VGA, HDMI etc... still get "No Signal" from both.

Related resources
January 7, 2012 10:02:16 PM

Check monitor inputs.

Video card has power cable(s) to it?

Does the video card's fan spin at all?
January 7, 2012 10:07:03 PM

larkspur said:
Check monitor inputs.

Video card has power cable(s) to it?

Does the video card's fan spin at all?

Power cables are plugged in and all the fans are spinning on it...I unplugged and replugged all connections on the MB as one of my checks, just in case something came loose in transit.
January 7, 2012 10:08:19 PM

Ok, with your speakers connected does it make sounds? Does it boot Windows? - you would probably hear the chimes.
January 7, 2012 10:12:51 PM

I forgot to mention that another thing I did to test was take an older GPU (that I know works) from another PC and plugged it in... it also gives the "No Signal" on the monitor.
January 7, 2012 10:14:53 PM

larkspur said:
Ok, with your speakers connected does it make sounds? Does it boot Windows? - you would probably hear the chimes.

I have no speakers available right now... it is 3 am where i am right now, so will (hopefully) be able to grab a set to try tomorrow. My old computer was hooked into an Onkyo 5.1 receiver with SPDIF, but did not actually hook the new one up when I built this PC as I was at my parents for the holidays.

Best solution

January 7, 2012 10:26:38 PM

dv5140ca said:
I forgot to mention that another thing I did to test was take an older GPU (that I know works) from another PC and plugged it in... it also gives the "No Signal" on the monitor.

Ok, well that was the next logical step. Basically you're in kind of a strange place because you had the computer working prior to moving and now it isn't putting any video out at all with two different cards. I'll point you to the basic troubleshooting guide for new builds but a lot of it doesn't necessarily apply because you had things installed correctly when it was working. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

You can try booting with only one stick of memory installed (look at your motherboard's instructions) and then try different sticks, you might have a bad stick or sticks.

You can also try clearing your CMOS which amounts to resetting your BIOS to its defaults. If you were overclocking, this might help get you back to normal.

You'll want the speakers for interpreting POST codes if your problems persist. On boards I've used, speakers connected to the regular onboard stereo jack (usually green) also work for POST beep codes. I guess some boards might need a PC speaker connected to the PC speaker pins on the motherboard to hear the POST beeps, but I am guessing that speakers or headphones in the normal green jack should work for you.
January 7, 2012 10:27:45 PM

As this is my first build, I am slightly "Newbie" so this question may be slightly stupid-- if it is a problem with the motherboard, would the GPU fans, CPU fan, system fans, power lights etc turn on? Or if the motherboard is screwy, would none of these work?
January 7, 2012 10:36:47 PM

dv5140ca said:
As this is my first build, I am slightly "Newbie" so this question may be slightly stupid-- if it is a problem with the motherboard, would the GPU fans, CPU fan, system fans, power lights etc turn on? Or if the motherboard is screwy, would none of these work?

If there is a problem with the motherboard just about anything can happen. It could work great but occasionally have a random reset or system instability. It could just not start at all or not spin its fans. There are numerous ways motherboards act up.

As my post above refers to, you will want speakers connected. When you turn on your comp, your motherboard first does a Power On Self Test (POST). It checks the CPU, RAM, GPU and various other onboard devices. If something is wrong it tells you through voice, beeping and/or flashing LEDs.

Since you have tried two different video cards and two different monitors, cables, inputs, etc. with the same results, it is time to start listening to what your motherboard is saying (or not saying) about the problem. Since you don't yet have speakers or headphones, try my advice about the different RAM sticks and clear your CMOS (See your motherboard manual - you want to reset the BIOS to default, often called clearing the CMOS).
January 7, 2012 10:48:17 PM

Also - your board may have LEDs on it that flash on and off to express POST codes. I haven't worked with one myself, but you can look at your manual and read your motherboard's support info with regards to whether it has visual POST codes.
January 8, 2012 4:38:56 PM

Thanks everyone for the quick help... the problem got solved today.

I believe that the CPU somehow became unseated, as after removing the CPU heatsink and then reinstalling it I then was able to get a boot with 1 stick of RAM.

I worked through adding one at a time and it ended up booting up properly after all four sticks. I then ran Memtest86 and it said all was fine, so the only thing I can think of was an unseated CPU...which seems crazy due to how hard the heatsink seems to hold it on, but what do I know, eh?

I still get no POST sounds from anywhere (headset jacks, speaker jacks etc) and the motherboard doesn't have a "alarm" or anything built into it, so will need to get the suggested one from above to help in the future.

Thanks all for your help, this newbie appreciates it.

PS Is there a way to mark this as solved...maybe others will run into the same thing...
January 8, 2012 10:37:20 PM

To mark as solved, select a best answer.
January 14, 2012 8:18:29 AM

Best answer selected by dv5140ca.
February 4, 2012 12:21:54 AM

I'm having similar issue. Power lights turn on, DIMM LED and Motherboard LED come on. I tested power supply using power supply tester and it is good. I took motherboard out of the case and connect just cpu and power supply to it. That did the same thing. So I put in POST test card. It gives no error codes at all. Even no lights turn on to show this POST card is working. If i take CPU out then PC doesn't turn on at all (no power lights). So I guess CPU is good. Is my motherboard dead?

Asus Sabertooth p67 rev.3
Intel i7 2600k
Corsair 8 Gig chips x 2

Any help will be appreciated.
February 4, 2012 7:49:15 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!