Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Whole new range of Photo printers from Epson

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 5:35:35 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Just officially announced by Epson (in the UK)
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/epson9700.html

Keith Cooper
May 10, 2005 5:35:36 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Whole new set of clogged heads.



"Keith Cooper" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
news:spam-795533.02372810052005@newsfe5-win.server.ntli.net...
> Just officially announced by Epson (in the UK)
> http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/epson9700.html
>
> Keith Cooper
Related resources
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 6:45:30 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

That's not very fair. I have used a 2100 (2200) for a couple of years now
with hardly any instances of clogged nozzles.

The only new printer recently that I experienced poor nozzle reliability
with was a HP 8750.

Ian

New Epsons - European launch event report: http://dpnow.com/1789.html

"John" <JF@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:mdKdnV7ElZ0zgR3fRVn-gA@comcast.com...
> Whole new set of clogged heads.
>
>
>
> "Keith Cooper" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> news:spam-795533.02372810052005@newsfe5-win.server.ntli.net...
>> Just officially announced by Epson (in the UK)
>> http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/epson9700.html
>>
>> Keith Cooper
>
>
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 10:26:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"John" <JF@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:mdKdnV7ElZ0zgR3fRVn-gA@comcast.com...
> Whole new set of clogged heads.
>

Oh please. I've had my 870 for several years now and have yet to experience
clogged heads.

Mark
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 12:29:57 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <efVfe.707$he1.251@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net>,
Ian Burley <infoplsremove@dp-now.com> wrote:
>"John" <JF@comcast.net> wrote in message
>news:mdKdnV7ElZ0zgR3fRVn-gA@comcast.com...
>>
>> Whole new set of clogged heads.
>
>That's not very fair. I have used a 2100 (2200) for a couple of years now
>with hardly any instances of clogged nozzles.

I think it's perfectly fair. Recently switched to a Canon i9950 from an
Epson 1290, mainly out of sheer frustration at having to squirt half a
cartridge of (mostly black) ink through the sodding thing every time I
wanted to use it before it would do a decent print. Leaving it for more than
24 hours between prints seemed to do the trick every time.

The Canon hasn't clogged on me once. Bliss!
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 12:29:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <5ZYfe.734$i03.375@fe06.lga>,
Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net> wrote:

>Many clogging problems have to do with people turning their printers off
>with power strips. This doesn't let the printer park the print head. A
>printer left on usually consumes about as much electricity as a digital
>clock.

A always turned mine off with the switch on the printer. Didn't help -
clogged at the blink of an eye.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 1:22:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

The 1290 is a four year old design, remember. I have a i9950 on test here at
the moment and it's very good with regard to nozzle reliability - absolutely
concur with you there, but so is the R1800 I have here too and my own 2100.

Ian

"Chris Brown" <cpbrown@ntlworld.no_uce_please.com> wrote in message
news:3q76l2-hj2.ln1@narcissus.dyndns.org...
> In article <efVfe.707$he1.251@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net>,
> Ian Burley <infoplsremove@dp-now.com> wrote:
>>"John" <JF@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>news:mdKdnV7ElZ0zgR3fRVn-gA@comcast.com...
>>>
>>> Whole new set of clogged heads.
>>
>>That's not very fair. I have used a 2100 (2200) for a couple of years now
>>with hardly any instances of clogged nozzles.
>
> I think it's perfectly fair. Recently switched to a Canon i9950 from an
> Epson 1290, mainly out of sheer frustration at having to squirt half a
> cartridge of (mostly black) ink through the sodding thing every time I
> wanted to use it before it would do a decent print. Leaving it for more
> than
> 24 hours between prints seemed to do the trick every time.
>
> The Canon hasn't clogged on me once. Bliss!
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 3:20:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <E7adnTHNibb3ER3fRVn-pA@comcast.com>,
Mark B. <mbohntrash54@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>"John" <JF@comcast.net> wrote in message
>news:mdKdnV7ElZ0zgR3fRVn-gA@comcast.com...
>> Whole new set of clogged heads.
>>
>
>Oh please. I've had my 870 for several years now and have yet to experience
>clogged heads.

Some people seem to be inexplicably free of them, despite apparently using
their printers no differently to the rest of us. Believe me, the phenomenon
is real, widespread and very irritating. After the last two Epson printers I
owned suffered constant clogging, and seeing various aquaintences suffering
the same problem, I won't buy another Epson printer until they have
definitively sorted this problem out.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 4:22:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

4 years with Epson printers, 0 clogs. Must be operator error.

"John" <JF@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:mdKdnV7ElZ0zgR3fRVn-gA@comcast.com...
> Whole new set of clogged heads.
>
>
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 5:18:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

The message <spam-795533.02372810052005@newsfe5-win.server.ntli.net>
from Keith Cooper <spam@spam.com> contains these words:

> Just officially announced by Epson (in the UK)
> http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/epson9700.html

The upcoming 6 cartridge A2+ HP Designjet 90 will prove compelling
competition
for the 4800 at half the price and much lower running costs with no
wasteful head
cleaning. 80 year print life.

http://h41186.www4.hp.com/pdp/render.html?new_product=9...

The Designjet 90 will be available in June at 750 UK Pounds.

Deryck
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 6:56:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Chris Brown wrote:
> In article <efVfe.707$he1.251@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net>,
> Ian Burley <infoplsremove@dp-now.com> wrote:
>
>>"John" <JF@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>news:mdKdnV7ElZ0zgR3fRVn-gA@comcast.com...
>>
>>>Whole new set of clogged heads.
>>
>>That's not very fair. I have used a 2100 (2200) for a couple of years now
>>with hardly any instances of clogged nozzles.
>
>
> I think it's perfectly fair. Recently switched to a Canon i9950 from an
> Epson 1290, mainly out of sheer frustration at having to squirt half a
> cartridge of (mostly black) ink through the sodding thing every time I
> wanted to use it before it would do a decent print. Leaving it for more than
> 24 hours between prints seemed to do the trick every time.
>
> The Canon hasn't clogged on me once. Bliss!
Odd. I've had a 1270 for years with out a single clogg issue. I run
8.5x11 and A3+ (13x19) through it all the time. 20+ per session. Never a
problem.

--

J

www.urbanvoyeur.com
May 10, 2005 9:30:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <jrhone-A26F37.23075109052005@news.west.cox.net>,
JR <jrhone@mac.com.invalid> wrote:

>Funny, My 2200 has NEVER clogged and I run 11x14's out of it almost
>daily. I give it a real workout..

That might be why you have different results than someone who uses the
same printer intermittently.
May 10, 2005 9:32:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <4280CBA4.7080800@nospam.net>,
UrbanVoyeur <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

>> The Canon hasn't clogged on me once. Bliss!
>Odd. I've had a 1270 for years with out a single clogg issue. I run
>8.5x11 and A3+ (13x19) through it all the time. 20+ per session. Never a
>problem.

Maybe the people who print constantly don't have any problem. Maybe
you'd have a different experience if you printed less frequently.

>--
>
>J
>
>www.urbanvoyeur.com
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 10:56:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <efVfe.707$he1.251@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net>,
"Ian Burley" <infoplsremove@dp-now.com> wrote:

> That's not very fair. I have used a 2100 (2200) for a couple of years now
> with hardly any instances of clogged nozzles.
>
> The only new printer recently that I experienced poor nozzle reliability
> with was a HP 8750.
>
> Ian
>
> New Epsons - European launch event report: http://dpnow.com/1789.html
>
> "John" <JF@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:mdKdnV7ElZ0zgR3fRVn-gA@comcast.com...
> > Whole new set of clogged heads.
> >
> >
> >
> > "Keith Cooper" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> > news:spam-795533.02372810052005@newsfe5-win.server.ntli.net...
> >> Just officially announced by Epson (in the UK)
> >> http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/epson9700.html
> >>
> >> Keith Cooper
> >
> >

How 'bout a whole new series of cart rip-offs?
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 12:41:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Chris Brown" <cpbrown@ntlworld.no_uce_please.com> wrote:
> Mark B. <mbohntrash54@comcast.net> wrote:
> >"John" <JF@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> Whole new set of clogged heads.
> >
> >Oh please. I've had my 870 for several years now and have yet to
experience
> >clogged heads.
>
> Some people seem to be inexplicably free of them, despite apparently using
> their printers no differently to the rest of us. Believe me, the
phenomenon
> is real, widespread and very irritating. After the last two Epson printers
I
> owned suffered constant clogging, and seeing various aquaintences
suffering
> the same problem, I won't buy another Epson printer until they have
> definitively sorted this problem out.

Yep. My 950 and (Japan-only) 970 were problematic. No problems yet with the
PX-G900 (R800 outside Japan), and my impression is that people are having
less problems with the R800, so maybe they're getting better.

Having had some hideous fading print problems in the past, I decided that
praying that they'd figured out the clogs was worth it to get the pigment
inks. The speed and lack of clogs make the Canon printers a perfectly
sensible choice.

Speaking of prints, though, I made the mistake of meandering up to the
darkroom floor at Yodobashi Camera (a large camera store), and was knocked
breathless by the B&W prints they had on the walls.

It would be really wonderful if the 2400 were somewhere close to that.
Really really wonderful.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
May 11, 2005 1:28:26 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"james" <fishbowl@conservatory.com> wrote in message news:D e6ge.26319$fI.18463@fed1read05...
> In article <4280CBA4.7080800@nospam.net>,
> UrbanVoyeur <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:
>
> >> The Canon hasn't clogged on me once. Bliss!
> >Odd. I've had a 1270 for years with out a single clogg issue. I run
> >8.5x11 and A3+ (13x19) through it all the time. 20+ per session. Never a
> >problem.
>
> Maybe the people who print constantly don't have any problem. Maybe
> you'd have a different experience if you printed less frequently.

We've had our R800 for seven months now, and it usually
goes 3 or 4 weeks between print jobs. Not a single clog
so far.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 2:29:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <_H9ge.747$LO1.217@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
Rick <nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:
>"james" <fishbowl@conservatory.com> wrote in message
>news:D e6ge.26319$fI.18463@fed1read05...
>> In article <4280CBA4.7080800@nospam.net>,
>> UrbanVoyeur <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:
>>
>> >> The Canon hasn't clogged on me once. Bliss!
>> >Odd. I've had a 1270 for years with out a single clogg issue. I run
>> >8.5x11 and A3+ (13x19) through it all the time. 20+ per session. Never a
>> >problem.
>>
>> Maybe the people who print constantly don't have any problem. Maybe
>> you'd have a different experience if you printed less frequently.
>
>We've had our R800 for seven months now, and it usually
>goes 3 or 4 weeks between print jobs. Not a single clog
>so far.

My 1290 would clog at around 48 hours of downtime.
May 11, 2005 6:56:10 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I have both Epson and Canon printers, do not print everyday.
No clogs with either.
Horrible built in color management with Canon software however . . .
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 9:31:22 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

David, I'll be in Japan next month for four nights - probably based in
Tokyo - would you be interested in meeting up? Not sure my schedule will
enable this, but I'd like to hope. You can reply by unpicking my reply email
address, or go to dpnow and use one of the feedback links there.

Ian

"David J. Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote in message
news:D 5q6h4$sik$1@nnrp.gol.com...
>
> "Chris Brown" <cpbrown@ntlworld.no_uce_please.com> wrote:
>> Mark B. <mbohntrash54@comcast.net> wrote:
>> >"John" <JF@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> >> Whole new set of clogged heads.
>> >
>> >Oh please. I've had my 870 for several years now and have yet to
> experience
>> >clogged heads.
>>
>> Some people seem to be inexplicably free of them, despite apparently
>> using
>> their printers no differently to the rest of us. Believe me, the
> phenomenon
>> is real, widespread and very irritating. After the last two Epson
>> printers
> I
>> owned suffered constant clogging, and seeing various aquaintences
> suffering
>> the same problem, I won't buy another Epson printer until they have
>> definitively sorted this problem out.
>
> Yep. My 950 and (Japan-only) 970 were problematic. No problems yet with
> the
> PX-G900 (R800 outside Japan), and my impression is that people are having
> less problems with the R800, so maybe they're getting better.
>
> Having had some hideous fading print problems in the past, I decided that
> praying that they'd figured out the clogs was worth it to get the pigment
> inks. The speed and lack of clogs make the Canon printers a perfectly
> sensible choice.
>
> Speaking of prints, though, I made the mistake of meandering up to the
> darkroom floor at Yodobashi Camera (a large camera store), and was knocked
> breathless by the B&W prints they had on the walls.
>
> It would be really wonderful if the 2400 were somewhere close to that.
> Really really wonderful.
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan
>
>
>
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 9:48:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"james" <fishbowl@conservatory.com> wrote in message
news:D e6ge.26319$fI.18463@fed1read05...
> In article <4280CBA4.7080800@nospam.net>,
> UrbanVoyeur <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>>> The Canon hasn't clogged on me once. Bliss!
>>Odd. I've had a 1270 for years with out a single clogg issue. I run
>>8.5x11 and A3+ (13x19) through it all the time. 20+ per session. Never a
>>problem.
>
> Maybe the people who print constantly don't have any problem. Maybe
> you'd have a different experience if you printed less frequently.
>

I print intermittently and don't have a problem with clogged heads. I've
always turned the printer off via the control panel, and keep a dust cover
on it when not in use.

Mark
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 1:05:42 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Why would anyone want a photo printer when you can get the images printed at
Wal-Mart for .17 ea or .15 at Sam's club.

No way anyone can print an image of same or better quality from a inkjet
printer.

Photobossman

I do have a photo printer myself only use it in extreme emergencies when I
need a print in a hurry but if I want one that will last I will let the
professionals do it at a loss.


"Ian Burley" <infoplsremove@dp-now.com> wrote in message
news:KMgge.2005$hn5.1140@newsfe2-win.ntli.net...
> David, I'll be in Japan next month for four nights - probably based in
> Tokyo - would you be interested in meeting up? Not sure my schedule will
> enable this, but I'd like to hope. You can reply by unpicking my reply
> email address, or go to dpnow and use one of the feedback links there.
>
> Ian
>
> "David J. Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote in message
> news:D 5q6h4$sik$1@nnrp.gol.com...
>>
>> "Chris Brown" <cpbrown@ntlworld.no_uce_please.com> wrote:
>>> Mark B. <mbohntrash54@comcast.net> wrote:
>>> >"John" <JF@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> >> Whole new set of clogged heads.
>>> >
>>> >Oh please. I've had my 870 for several years now and have yet to
>> experience
>>> >clogged heads.
>>>
>>> Some people seem to be inexplicably free of them, despite apparently
>>> using
>>> their printers no differently to the rest of us. Believe me, the
>> phenomenon
>>> is real, widespread and very irritating. After the last two Epson
>>> printers
>> I
>>> owned suffered constant clogging, and seeing various aquaintences
>> suffering
>>> the same problem, I won't buy another Epson printer until they have
>>> definitively sorted this problem out.
>>
>> Yep. My 950 and (Japan-only) 970 were problematic. No problems yet with
>> the
>> PX-G900 (R800 outside Japan), and my impression is that people are having
>> less problems with the R800, so maybe they're getting better.
>>
>> Having had some hideous fading print problems in the past, I decided that
>> praying that they'd figured out the clogs was worth it to get the pigment
>> inks. The speed and lack of clogs make the Canon printers a perfectly
>> sensible choice.
>>
>> Speaking of prints, though, I made the mistake of meandering up to the
>> darkroom floor at Yodobashi Camera (a large camera store), and was
>> knocked
>> breathless by the B&W prints they had on the walls.
>>
>> It would be really wonderful if the 2400 were somewhere close to that.
>> Really really wonderful.
>>
>> David J. Littleboy
>> Tokyo, Japan
>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 10:53:38 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Photobossman" <photobossman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:lEcke.1958$yp.867@fed1read02...
> Why would anyone want a photo printer when you can get the images printed
> at Wal-Mart for .17 ea or .15 at Sam's club.
>
> No way anyone can print an image of same or better quality from a inkjet
> printer.
>

The prints from my 870 look just as good to me as prints from Wal-Mart.
There are times when I only want to print one or two images and it's not
worth going all the way to Wal-Mart.


Mark
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 11:31:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Thu, 26 May 2005 06:53:38 -0400, "Mark B."
<mbohntrash54@comcast.net> wrote:


>The prints from my 870 look just as good to me as prints from Wal-Mart.
>There are times when I only want to print one or two images and it's not
>worth going all the way to Wal-Mart.


It's never worth going to Wal-Mart.
Wal-Mart is the devil.


rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
!