Sign in with
Your question

Please help! - No Video Output on Homebuild

Last response: in Systems
January 7, 2012 9:54:10 PM

Hi all. Just turned on my computer after not using it for a month and one of the fans was making a pretty horrible grinding noise. I opened it up and started pressing on the fans to determine which one was making the noise, it was the fan in the power supply. Soon after the screen on the computer froze so I turned it off with the power button. Now when I turn it on there is no video output. The fans in the case turn on and the hard drive sounds like it is starting up but there is no output. I have a PCI card as well as my PCIe card and neither of them work. I'd assume I static shocked something, but how would I go about determining which component I need to replace?

Any advice at all would be much appreciated.

System Components:
-AMD Athlon II X3 440
-Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT25664BA1339
-ASUS M4A77TD AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
-PowerColor AX5770 1GBD5-H Radeon HD 5770 1GB
-COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS500-PCARD3-US 500W ATX12V v2.3 Power Supply
-COOLER MASTER Hyper TX3 RR-910-HTX3-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" 92mm CPU Cooler
-SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
-COOLER MASTER Elite 330 RC-330-KKN1-GP Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Thanks in advance!

More about : video output homebuild

a b B Homebuilt system
January 7, 2012 10:31:41 PM

Can you get hold of a different PSU to try? A friend's, maybe?
January 7, 2012 11:09:23 PM

i had a similar issue which seemed to sort itself out after enough cold boots lol,

fans spin, harddrive clicks and lights flash but no video out put regardless of pci slot i used and regardless of where i plugged the video cable in.

sooner or later it just seemed to fix itself which is proper strange. but thats windows os for ya.

try to reset the cmos perhaps tht will help. try diff PSU and try diff GPU and cables connecting the GPU to monitor and GPU to PSU.
Related resources
January 7, 2012 11:28:58 PM

Start by changing the PSU : ) I wouldn't use that one anymore! Put in a good PSU. Sounds like your PSU toasted, hopefully it didn't take anything else with it. If the problem persists you'll want to get the motherboard to POST.

jasobnd - If you weren't getting even a BIOS/oem screen, then Windows OS wasn't the cause of your problem.
January 8, 2012 9:53:15 PM

Thanks for the advice, will definitely work on getting a new PSU asap. If the motherboard doesn't POST do I just have to buy a new one or is it possible to figure out if I just need a new CPU or GPU?
a b B Homebuilt system
January 8, 2012 9:56:51 PM

The best way to isolate problems is to swap out parts with other parts that you know to be working. Do you have any friends with homebuilt PCs, or any other builds that you've made?
Hexit's CPU/motherboard isolation:
"turn off the pc at the wall. and turn on the monitor. wait till you see no signal. now time it till it goes into standby.
turn it off and on again. this time when you see no signal hit the power on the pc. if the monitor jumps straight into stand-by when you hit the power then the cpu is most likely dead. if it takes the normal time to go to standby then check the motherboard. this isnt a 100 percent as other things like cpu not getting any power can cause the same result but 99% of the time it is the cpu."
EDIT, another message: "i forgot some boards also cause the power led to flash whe a faulty cpu is present so check the power led if your kit does jump into standby."
!