Purchase of an 120hz 23" display this weekeend - seeking input.

Rhinocerus

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Hello,

I've been searching for a new monitor to go with the computer I ordered (NVidia GPU). I have looked at monitors for 3 nights straight and I feel like I am about as far along on the purchase as when I started. This is going to be a gaming PC; Battlefield 3, Counter-Strike source, may play Diablo III and other similar modern games plus some older games occasionally. E-mail and internet surfing are my second use of the monitor. I may watch a movie occasionally but my main video watching is just YouTube. So to get to the point here. I'm looking for a 23"/23.6" monitor. That being said while I admit an :eek: IPS is tempting for the rich colors I am sold on a 120Hz TN for gaming. After much research I've identified these, one of which I will purchase by the weekend. I've noted my impression/opinion next to each. I am hoping you can provide additional input/steering.

-Samsung S23A750D/950D - I feel this will have the best look, the coating is superior on the Samsung products and I feel the quality/type of coating really make a difference in percieved IQ. I would have bought this already if I wasn't discouraged by the lack of NVidia 3D vision support. While 3D isn't my primary purchase reason, it would be nice if 3D still worked well, even if it was just for novelty value. Anyone know how well the Samsung 3D actually works? Clearly it doesn't have the level of integration with games as Nvidia 3D vision, correct? Again, top 2 right now just hesitant due to lack of Nvidia suppport. Looks nice.

-ViewSonic V3D245 - Also in top 2. Has the Nvidia 3Dsupport. The coating on this appear to be inferior to the Samsung model. Believe this TN panel may be a little inferior to S23A750D/950D but this is just from watching reviews on YouTube. Based on how good my friend's 2006 era Viewsonic looks this is a strong contender.

-AlienwareOptX AW2310 - Know nothing about it. Suspect it is just a Dell. But I didn't to not exclude it from disccussion. It has rarely came up in discussions.

-ASUS VG236H - Not one I am strongly considering but I am keeping an open mind. Has the 3D vision support, which is nice. Feel there is a lot of hype over ASUS products.

-Acer GD235Hz - Same as ASUS. Keeping an open mind though. Ugly.

It would be great if someone has seen some of these side-by-side or has had a chance to use more than one of them for comparision.

Thank you for your time, it is greatly appreciated.

If you really like the Samsung and honestly do not intend to use it for 3D vision except as an experiment, then I'd say go for it.

You can still check out 3D with it, as it should come with the Tridef 3D software which will work Nvidia cards. It's not as easy to use and does not offer crossfire or SLI support, but does offer more control.

Rhinocerus

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

Bystander, thank you for your response. It is just difficult to purchase something you can't see to compare. The fact is I have never experienced the 3D, Nvidia or otherwise. My concern is I get the Samsung and like it but then see that the 3D is amazing and wish I would have got the Nvidia.
That being said, I don't see gaming for hours on Battlefield 3 in 3D either, so you made a good point.

I've heard comments that the 3D is just ok to its jaw dropping, so I don't know what to believe.

Thank you

Most people who say it's just ok are people who have seen movies with it, or used it in limited fashion, such as 1080p but at 24hz, or playing a game that doesn't support 3D very well. The result is not nearly as impressive as when it's used at 1080p and 60hz and get FPS near 60 FPS at the same time. And with Nvidia 3D vision, you do have to make a few adjustments to make it come to life. The default depth is 15%, which doesn't really jump out at you like it should.

gmcizzle

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I've done a bit of research on 120hz monitors and the Planar 23" 120hz/3D monitor is one of the highest rated around + is 3D vision ready.

No 3D vision kit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824016168

With 3D vision Kit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824016171

Also, be aware that Nvidia is bringing out new 3D Vision 2 capable monitors and kits in the next few weeks, so you might want to wait until then.

Nvidia 3D Vision 2: http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-3d-vision2-wireless-glasses-kit-us

Rhinocerus

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

gmcizzle - Thank you, I had not seen this one until you pointed it out. Appears to be an excellent monitor. It does appear that it is CCFL and not LED, correct? Some even prefer the CCFL lighting. I'm going to look into this more. You made it that much more difficult but thank you for not letting me overlook this option!

gmcizzle

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Yeah it's CCFL you're right, I remembered it being LED backlit for some reason. I am a fan of LED backlit displays, as they definitely provide much more contrast, but CCFL is great for gaming. Too bad there is so few 120hz monitors to choose from...

Rhinocerus

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

Regardless of it being CCFL, it still looks like an excellent display. I did see some comments about wishing they'd come out with an LED model. Like anything CCFL has pros and cons. Thanks

TRENDING THREADS