ASUSTek M4A87TD EVO (AM3) and AMD Athlon II X4 630: did I bone myself?

MattShepherd

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Had computer problems for a looooooong time – BSODs, etc. – and wound up replacing most system components, including the motherboard. Kept the CPU. Here's the original barebones kit the CPU was shipped with:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7010679

I wound up, in my frustration, replacing the motherboard with a ASUSTek M4A87TD EVO (AM3).

Different problems -- largely system freezes in Linux, and recurring BSODs in Windows -- kept cropping up. I've finally decided to swap out all the memory, despite it passing tons of Memcheck 86+ tests, just in case – and I took a look at the ASUS site for memory specs compatible with the mobo just to make sure, after seeing some reviews about motherboards being very fussy about memory type.

Lo and behold, there's a loooong list of accepted CPUs there as well:

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/list.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&s=24&m=M4A87TD%20EVO&os=&hashedid=YATvwCy0OZLGNWwp

Now, I have *no idea* if my CPU is on that list. It seems to get very specific with model numbers, and I don't, er, *have* the exact model number for this CPU. It's not in the specifications for the original barebone kit. There is *a* CPU of that type on the CPU list, but without the exact model number, I'm not sure if I've basically set myself up for trouble with an incompatible CPU or not.

Is there any way to check this?

Solution

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Well Asus says it supports your CPU from BIOS ver. 0501.
You should start by installing the latest BIOS version available, if you haven't done that already.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&m=M4A87TD%20EVO&cpu=Athlon%20IIX4%20640(ADX640WFK42GM),3.0GHz,512KB,rev.C3,95W,SocketAM3&pcb=ALL&sincebios=0501&memo=

MattShepherd

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Yes to both -- it passed the proprietary manufacturers' tests, but I replaced it anyway, with another drive (which also passed all the tests I could throw at it). The original drive is now serving as my data drive, and hasn't given me any trouble.

I'll try the BIOS updates tonight, time and wife willing. :)

MattShepherd

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Changed.
Changed.
Confirming all above: I am running the latest BIOS version.

I'll approach the original question from a slightly different angle: is it absolutely crucial that I have one of the exact model numbers listed by ASUS for this motherboard, or is it just necessary that all the specs line up?

I have (specs from the original barebones kit):

Processor Interface: Socket AM3
Processor Brand: AMD
Processors Supported: 1
Processor Class: Athlon II X4
Processors Onboard: 1
Processor Speed: 2.8GHz
Processor Number: 630

ASUS lists:

Athlon IIX4 630(ADX630WFK42GI),2.8GHz,512KB,rev.C3,95W,SocketAM3
and
Athlon IIX4 630(ADX630WFK42GM),2.8GHz,512KB,rev.C3,95W,SocketAM3

I have no way of knowing whether my processor is part # ADX630WFK42GI or #ADX630WFK42GM. The processor seems to match those lines in all other respects.

Before dropping $100+ on a new CPU, having exhausted LITERALLY all other options, I'd like to know if this is a fruitful line of inquiry, or if I'm just clutching at straws.

cmi86

Distinguished

The difference between the 2 numbers is the stepping revision for the CPU.
2GI model number is the C2 version
2GM model number is the C3 version
According to this site your board supports both versions under the same BIOS version (0501)
http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/M4A87TD_EVO.html

It is somewhat common on those barebones kits that the vendor (newegg,tiger direct, microcenter etc..) will choose very low binned parts from the manufacturers at a lower cost in order to increase profit margin. Based on this knowledge and the fact that you have literally replaced every other component in your system (granted you are running the 0501 bios) looking into a new CPU may be the next step, can you get your hands on another CPU to test out with ?

Solution

cmi86

Distinguished

You should be able to find something on CL or at the very worst go snag a sempron for 40 bucks. Just figure out if it actually is your CPU withing the vendors return period, if the CPU is indeed bad just bring the sempron in and tell them it's defective and use the $40 towards something better. *** even if your CPU isnt bad tell em the sempron's shot so you can get you $$ back lol.