How do I increase my video response?

BlueEagle2001

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Hello,
I currently am running a MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD MS-7529 1.0
Enclosure Type: Desktop with a .40 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual 64 kilobyte primary memory cache 1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache 64-bit ready Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded; 3062 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory; with Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family [Display adapter]
ViewSonic Q91b [Monitor] (19.1"vis, s/n QYJ074714832, November 2007). My problem is that my monitor does not refresh fast enough for the work I am now doing. Can any suggest what I should do to increase visual refresh rate or graphics? Also, I am running Windows Vista Home Basic Service Pack 2 (build 6002)

Thanks much

The controls for the monitor are located on the monitor and whatever you can adjust for the monitor is located there , if there is an adjustment for the refresh rate there you can adjust it if not then you can't. Are you trying to adjust the virtical or horizontal refresh rate , sometimes a monitor will come with a range like 55hz to 85hz if your monitor has that you can change it if not then you can't.
Are you running your display with an intergrated chip ? If you are you are limited with what you can do with that intergrated chip. You may want to consider getting a video card , that may solve your problem.

BlueEagle2001

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
I am having to have many windows up from my work and need to have them come up in a fairly fast order. This is being done in a distance situation when I am working... When I am on phone giving information, I really don't want to have to wait. The other solution is to use my 19" HDTV/monitor with a new video card. I have 3 gig in regular memory + 2 hard drives = .5 TB

Thanks much guys...

If your system is sluggish when you have a lot of programs running at the same time, then the issue is not the monitor and not the video card. This type of performance issue is mostly due to your slow CPU and low amount of RAM.

A faster CPU will allow you launch programs faster and also process data faster. Having more RAM means the computer does not need to swap data between RAM and the hard drive as much (less caching to the pagefile). The more programs / windows that are opened, the more RAM will be needed. When the required amount of RAM exceed the available RAM, then data is written to the pagefile.

If your Vista is the 64-bit version, then it should be able to recognize up to 16GB of system RAM. If it is the 32-bit version, then it can only use around 3.25GB - 3.5GB of system RAM at most.

The amount of available system RAM is also limited by integrate graphics since it uses system RAM. I believe integrated video typically uses between 256MB - 512MB of system RAM. Installing a video card can free up some system RAM making the computer slightly more responsive.