Sign in with
Your question
Solved

[Homebuilt] 5 months old, PC shut off, and now it will not pass POST

Last response: in Systems
January 7, 2012 10:43:17 PM

A few weeks ago, I booted up Skyrim and my PC just shut off. When I tried to restart, the GPU fans are on high and there is a long beep followed by a few short beeps. After checking my motherboard manual, I find that these beeps indicate a video card problem. After several failed attempts to boot, I take my computer to a repair shop in which they replace each one of my components to see what was causing the problem. They replaced my ram with a stick of theirs in each slot, and the same result came up. Then they replaced my GPU with one of theirs, which I thought was the original problem but the same result came up. They then suggested that it might be the Motherboard and that I should send it in for warranty service. I have sent it in and just got it back; I did a breadboard test, hooking everything up outside my case, again i get the same result.

I really have no idea what to do next, can someone please help?

My PC specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K

MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68

GPU: MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB

PSU: Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
January 7, 2012 11:18:03 PM

test all components such as PSU and CPU and Harddive.

Failing that try resetting CMOS?

clean install of windows and all drivers to see if tht fixes the problem.

What does the POST screen say when it failes to boot? or is the screen just blank? how far in the boot does the pc get.
January 7, 2012 11:20:59 PM

It might be the CPU. Because it controls all of the components. The part of the cpu that does the controlling of the bridge that controls pci slots might be bad. Or that might be a problem with BIOS. Did they replace the video card with one of a same kind? If so the firmware may not compatible(seldomly happens though). You might want to google your parts to see if they work with the board.
Related resources
January 7, 2012 11:40:01 PM

jasobnd said:
test all components such as PSU and CPU and Harddive.

Failing that try resetting CMOS?

clean install of windows and all drivers to see if tht fixes the problem.

What does the POST screen say when it failes to boot? or is the screen just blank? how far in the boot does the pc get.

I've also tried resetting CMOS and replacing the MB battery, when I boot up the computer nothing comes on screen, no BIOS, just a no signal message

If BIOS would come up, I would try reinstalling everything but I can't even get that far.
January 7, 2012 11:42:24 PM

zonemods said:
It might be the CPU. Because it controls all of the components. The part of the cpu that does the controlling of the bridge that controls pci slots might be bad. Or that might be a problem with BIOS. Did they replace the video card with one of a same kind? If so the firmware may not compatible(seldomly happens though). You might want to google your parts to see if they work with the board.

My next thought was that the CPU might be faulty, but a replacement is hard to come by atm, most of my friends are running CPUs that are a few years old so I can't test their CPUs. Most of my components are still under warranty so if I could isolate the problem, I can send it in for warranty.

Best solution

January 8, 2012 12:20:01 AM

I would just replace the CPU. It is cheap to ship, less then $4. I had a very similar problem with my AMD x3 but it had onboard video. You could always try to find a PCI Test card like this it might help: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-PCI-PC-6-Digit-Diagnostic-C...
January 8, 2012 12:38:30 AM

zonemods said:
I would just replace the CPU. It is cheap to ship, less then $4. I had a very similar problem with my AMD x3 but it had onboard video. You could always try to find a PCI Test card like this it might help: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-PCI-PC-6-Digit-Diagnostic-C...

This would have been my next step, I will either send it in for warranty replacement/service or find friend(hopefully) with a similar CPU to test if it is the problem, thank you very much for the help.

I have also tried a new PSU with the same result, and if it was a faulty HD idk why it wouldn't pass POST or boot to BIOS.
January 14, 2012 11:02:26 PM

Best answer selected by tye642.
!