AMD FX-6100 Running hot at stock settings

jkrules22

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
OK so I got a new gaming rig a month or 2 ago. It runs good, I decided to O\c it and before I did I downloaded speedfan and a few other monitering programs. I went into my bios that has O\c genie II on it, And I used the auto o\c settings, It worked good, temps wernt too high for a stock cooler, but it did get up there after a little bit of gaming (mw2, wow, skryim) it got into the upper 50c range, so untill I get my liquid cooler I turned it back to the standard settings. Now at idle 31-36c, I know thats not terriable but as soon as I open any program it jumps to 45ish and keeps climbing up to 55ish, then I close out the program. Even with the runescape client it jumps that high. I dont know if thats normal or not.

Specs:
MSI 970A-G45 Motherboard
AMD FX-6100 Black Edition CPU
Nivida Geforce GTS 450
8 Gigs of Corsair Vengance Ram
250 & a 320gig Sata HDD

Also I read another thread(I dnt remember where but) that said when the O\Ced then went back to stock settings it didnt change the voltage and that was why it was running hot. My voltage goes up and down at idle, anywhere from 0.952V and 1.4somthing. Im not sure if thats stock or not though.

Anonymous_26

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
It's over heating because you are trying to overclock your CPU on the stock cooler. Stock coolers for both AMD and Intel can not dissapate the extra heat genereated by overclocking. If you want to overclock you need to by a good aftermarket fan/heatsink or go water cooling. To reset the BIOS trying pulling out the CMOS battery and leave it out for about 5-10 minutes and see if that resets the BIOS.

cmi86

Distinguished
I guess it depends on how much you are trying to OC. All the reviews I read say the FX's actually run pretty cool and have no problems doing +500 Mhz on the stock cooler but all the same Anonymous is right, stock coolers suck.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

The 8 series came with a decent copper pipe cooler, the 6 and 4 were just a generic aluminum block.

As getting back to stock, msi I believe has an option in thebios menu "load failsafe defaults". That what you want.

cmi86

Distinguished

Yeah there is definitely something not right going on. Instead of resetting the BIOS THROUGH the BIOS just remove the CMOS battery from your motherboard (1 inch silver disc) for atleast 1 hour. Sometimes this method is required to FULLY re-set the BIOS when they get really mucked up.
Also pull the heat sink off of the CPU and clean both the CPU and heatsink with 90% isopropyl alcohol and a lint free rag until all of the old thermal paste is removed. Go pick up some Arctic Silver 5 and follow the procedures in this guide to a T to make sure everything goes smoothly.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/How-To-Correctly-Apply-Thermal-Grease/274/1

jkrules22

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
Do you think its something with the cpu? Because i think i can still return it for a new one...ANd i just realized that the heatsink on the chipset next to my cpu is running like super hot because i can just hold my hand above it and it burns

cmi86

Distinguished

It's not the age of the compound that concerns me, it's the quality of the product used and the application method.
If you used crap paste and applied it incorrectly or seated the heat sink wrong that would easily cause issues of this nature.

jkrules22

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
Masscool STARS-700 Silver Color Thermal Grease is that I used and it was the people at the computer repair store that put it on, because at the time I thought there was more to installing a cpu than there is.

cmi86

Distinguished

Well the product seems to be of decent quality but all the same I would try re-applying just to eliminate the possibility of an issue there, no one's perfect lol

jkrules22

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
Yea I was plannin on doing that, Im just waiting for my girlfriend to get home because its in the car lol..I know this is a little bit off topic, but will a am2 cpu cooler fit a am3+ bracket? my friend said yea but I wana be sure before i take it out the box tomarow

cmi86

Distinguished

Yes you are good to go on that cooler since 939, AM2, AM2+, AM3, and server L1 all use the same mounting config.

Just out of curiousity what is default V-Core voltage set to in your BIOS ?
Are all CnQ, C1E and all that happy power saving stuff enabled too ?

jkrules22

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
OK Sorry for being such a dumby on this but, As long as I get my temp down to a normalish range my cpu should be fine? like I dont want to have to worry about it dieing on me

jkrules22

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
Actualy my voltage is set to a auto setting and I have 3 options to set that auto to, Eco mode, standard mode, and overclocking mode. When giving you guys all of this info I was in standard, obviously I had it in overclocking mode before all this started though.