Sign in with
Your question
Solved

[Homebuild] Do I need a new PSU?

Last response: in Systems
January 8, 2012 12:18:40 AM

Hello everyone, I was putting together a new homebuilt system, and I seem to have run into a problem.

I have four 120 mm cooling fans in the case, when I plug them all into the molex connectors to the PSU, the system will not power on. When I unplug all of them, the system powers on without a problem. Below are the specs for the system:

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular High Performance Power Supply

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor - C3 Revision HDZ555WFGMBOX

Kingston 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model KVR1333D3N9/4G

SAPPHIRE 100287VGAL Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood) 512MB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

HITACHI HDS721050CLA362 (0F10381) 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 Black Steel / Plastic Computer Case

COOLER MASTER R4-L2R-20AC-GP 120mm Blue LED Case Fan (3 of them, plus one fan from the system case)

I would have thought a 650W PSU would have been more than enough to power all of these components, but perhaps I'm wrong? Could the PSU be...half defective? (aka the molex power connections don't work) or do I need a 750 or 800 watt PSU? These are not top of the line components so I am a little perplexed as to why it won't power the four cooling fans. I can't even plug in one of them, or the system will not power up, no fans, it powers on without a hitch.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

More about : homebuild psu

Best solution

a c 78 B Homebuilt system
January 8, 2012 12:24:13 AM

These fans should altogether take like 1 amp to run.

Is it possible that the fans are somehow causing a short?

I don't know how they are installed or anything, but it sounds like somehow they are causing power to flow through them into the case.

- Edit - If you want to test this, just unscrew one of the fans from the case and hold it in your hand while you turn on the PC and see what happens. I wouldn't suggest putting your fingers into the spinning blade area if you are doing this, try to hold it from the corners or something.
January 8, 2012 12:39:11 AM

Raiddinn said:
These fans should altogether take like 1 amp to run.

Is it possible that the fans are somehow causing a short?

I don't know how they are installed or anything, but it sounds like somehow they are causing power to flow through them into the case.

- Edit - If you want to test this, just unscrew one of the fans from the case and hold it in your hand while you turn on the PC and see what happens. I wouldn't suggest putting your fingers into the spinning blade area if you are doing this, try to hold it from the corners or something.

Thanks for the reply Raiddinn...and wouldn't you know it, that seems to be the case, having the fans screwed into the case was causing a short.

Now I'm not sure what to do, I had two of the fans placed at the top of the case, one in the back, and then there is the stock case fan in the front. Any idea how I could insulate these? I used the screws that came with the case fans, so I'm guessing those are what are causing problems?
m
l
Related resources
January 8, 2012 1:33:55 AM

I use Xigmatek fans that are plastic and have plastic screws, myself.

I don't honestly know what to do in your situation.

My fans are cheap if you want to look for them and get new ones.

Otherwise you could try going to a hardware store and looking for plastic screws of the correct size. It could just be metal screws causing the problem. You might also need some rubber washers or something if you are going this route.
m
l
January 8, 2012 2:16:23 AM

Raiddinn said:
I use Xigmatek fans that are plastic and have plastic screws, myself.

I don't honestly know what to do in your situation.

My fans are cheap if you want to look for them and get new ones.

Otherwise you could try going to a hardware store and looking for plastic screws of the correct size. It could just be metal screws causing the problem. You might also need some rubber washers or something if you are going this route.

I'll give that a go, thanks for the ideas, I'm starting to guess that the metal screws are indeed what the problem might be. Although it bothers me that the stock fan that came with the case is also causing problems, I guess I'll have to replace that or just not use it.
m
l
January 8, 2012 2:29:00 AM

I would definitely use front panel intake fans if it were me.

Regular big fat plastic fans can be had for less than $5 each, I think, so there is no good reason not to use them when it makes sense.

It can extend the life of 200+ dollar components by quite a lot, which isn't bad for a couple extra bucks.
m
l
January 14, 2012 11:48:09 PM

Best answer selected by krzykrn.
m
l
January 14, 2012 11:49:20 PM

Thanks for the help Raiddinn and JK, I got some rubber mounting screws, and the system booted up without a problem. Ran some simple burn in tests to make sure and the system runs perfect.
m
l
!