Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading 8800GT, $300 budget

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 10, 2011 7:16:41 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (e.g.: this week (the closer the better)) BUDGET RANGE: (e.g.: USD $150-250) Before / After Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Playing, streaming, editing, recording full HD video and possibly all at the same time. Gaming not important but an improvement on my 8800GT is a must!

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: GeForce 8800GT (power supply I don't know... but I'm sure it's not a cheap one and I can try to find out if it's vital!)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: I have a MSI P35 Neo3 Mobo with Intel Core2 Quad CPU

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Any

PARTS PREFERENCES: Whatever is best for my needs

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: My needs are pretty specific. I plan on connecting my HD camcorder to my PC and I want a GPU that can help me with recording, streaming, editing and other things all at the same time, I'm not sure my 8800 GT can handle it (I've not set up my PC yet to test it) but even if it can I really would like something that was designed to take on such tasks as recording and editing full HD video with minimum effort.

Also I can go over the $300 budget if there really is something really very good for my situation out there and not available under $300

Please help! Thanks
November 10, 2011 8:44:26 AM

Jebusura said:
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (e.g.: this week (the closer the better)) BUDGET RANGE: (e.g.: USD $150-250) Before / After Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Playing, streaming, editing, recording full HD video and possibly all at the same time. Gaming not important but an improvement on my 8800GT is a must!

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: GeForce 8800GT (power supply I don't know... but I'm sure it's not a cheap one and I can try to find out if it's vital!)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: I have a MSI P35 Neo3 Mobo with Intel Core2 Quad CPU

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Any

PARTS PREFERENCES: Whatever is best for my needs

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: My needs are pretty specific. I plan on connecting my HD camcorder to my PC and I want a GPU that can help me with recording, streaming, editing and other things all at the same time, I'm not sure my 8800 GT can handle it (I've not set up my PC yet to test it) but even if it can I really would like something that was designed to take on such tasks as recording and editing full HD video with minimum effort.

Also I can go over the $300 budget if there really is something really very good for my situation out there and not available under $300

Please help! Thanks

I have also just found out that my PCIe is Gen 1 if that makes a difference to what I should choose. Someone please advise...

The info page for my MoBo says - PCI-E Gen: Gen1 (1x16)
November 10, 2011 11:25:29 AM

I read the rules to posting here and I follow them but I get no help but I see others who show a total disregard to the rules and get much better help... Nice
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2011 11:35:20 AM

You posted at 4AM in the morning, don't expect any replies until later in the day.

For around 200-250 dollars, I would suggest a GTX 560 Ti or an HD 6950.

Your power supply is a vital component, both of these cards require a very good 450 watt, possibly 500 watt power supply.
November 10, 2011 5:53:14 PM

I do not think the powersuppy will be a huge issue. Remember he is using an 8800GT, power requirements have not gone up that much, and in some cases they have gone down.
November 10, 2011 6:41:48 PM

Warmacblu said:
You posted at 4AM in the morning, don't expect any replies until later in the day.

For around 200-250 dollars, I would suggest a GTX 560 Ti or an HD 6950.

Your power supply is a vital component, both of these cards require a very good 450 watt, possibly 500 watt power supply.

Yeah I been doing loads of reading today and it looks like the GTX 560 Ti is the one but I would really like to know if its good for processing full HD videos and editing them because I'm going to be doing heavy HD work with little or no gaming usage for this card.

I also got a problem that my PCIe x16 is too close to my PCIe x1 slot to be used with a GPU installed soooo would a graphics card suffer any loss if I use a PCIe x16 extender ribbon to locate the GPU in a different slot?
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
November 10, 2011 7:07:11 PM

What Core 2 Quad cpu do you have?

Likely it's not fast enough for a GTX560ti or HD6950.
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2011 7:13:21 PM

Get the 6870. Perfect for your resolution.
November 12, 2011 8:46:37 AM

geekapproved said:
What Core 2 Quad cpu do you have?

Likely it's not fast enough for a GTX560ti or HD6950.

I got the Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40 GHz

gnomio said:
Get the 6870. Perfect for your resolution.

Thanks for the recommendation! That's defiantly a possibility, is it good with HD?

a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2011 8:47:55 AM

Jebusura said:
I got the Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40 GHz

Thanks for the recommendation! That's defiantly a possibility, is it good with HD?

Its capable of handling the vast majority of games at 1920 x 1080. As usual, keep in mind that you might have to lower details for the more demanding games.
!