Sign in with
Your question

Problems with new system

Last response: in Systems
January 8, 2012 1:12:55 AM

Hello,
after buying new computer parts (cpu,motherboard, graphics card , psu and system case ) ive had nothing but problems with the audio sync on virtualy everthing i use (1/2/3 second delay) , streaming (tv /films ) , games , and a audio mixing program i use (virtual dj ).
after making sure all drivers were up to date the problem was still occurring , i decided to reformat the harddrive and put a fresh copy of windows on and start over (just incase there was an file corruption issue ) after reinsalliing all relevant software/drivers the problem is still there .
i had a idea it may have something to do with the graphics card as there were other issues when i played games mainly the mouse was sticking and behaving strangely , so i took it out and used the moniter straight from the motherboard display conection,
on trying the mixing sofware it seemed ok no delay for audio , tryed streaming a tv program and audio is delayed and out of sync still(but a little better) , tryed a game the same thing but this time the mouse is behaving as it should , obviously its not just the graphics card , question is is it the motherboard/cpu aswell or is there possibly still a sofware issue ,as far as i know there's no compatibility issues with the hardware but then again specs can sometimes be missleading , any ideas would be gratefully apreciated , as i need to sort out what parts to send back as faulty if any fairly soon .

this is the system :-
os - xp sp3 (all updates installed)
cpu - amd athlon II x2 270 3.4ghz
mb - asus m4a88t-m
ram - integral ddr3 4gb (1066mhz)
harddrive - 150gb (plus an external 450gb hd)
graphics card - saphire radeon hd 6570 2gb ddr3
psu - alpine 700w
monitor - 19" crt (1280 by 768)

More about : problems system

a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2012 10:07:21 AM

I suspect the problem is your PSU. Even though it is 700w, it is of marginal quality. While it may supply plenty of power, it is not necessarily "clean" power. In other words, it uses low quality components that can generate electrical noise.

My advice would be to get a quality PSU if possible. And you do not need 700w for that system. Any 80 plus certified PSU in the range of 380 to 500 watts will be plenty. Something like the Antec Earthwatts 380 or the Corsair 430 would be ideal. Just make sure it is at least 80 plus certified or higher certification like 80 Plus Bronze. If it is not certified, avoid it.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2012 12:27:41 PM

I know you said you updated all drivers, but your problem sounds like motherboard drivers. I assume you're using onboard sound.
Related resources
January 8, 2012 9:15:00 PM

tlmck said:
I suspect the problem is your PSU. Even though it is 700w, it is of marginal quality. While it may supply plenty of power, it is not necessarily "clean" power. In other words, it uses low quality components that can generate electrical noise.

My advice would be to get a quality PSU if possible. And you do not need 700w for that system. Any 80 plus certified PSU in the range of 380 to 500 watts will be plenty. Something like the Antec Earthwatts 380 or the Corsair 430 would be ideal. Just make sure it is at least 80 plus certified or higher certification like 80 Plus Bronze. If it is not certified, avoid it.

thanks for replying , as i cant afford to buy a new psu right now to test it out i think i'll try my old psu as ive had no issue with that and its a good way to test the theory , the reason i choose a 700w psu is i was going to up grade the ram to 16gb in the next few months and thought id need more power for that , but its more important i get the system running right first really , anyway i'll try the old psu and see if there's any diffrerance
i'll let you know what happens

thanks again
January 8, 2012 9:34:32 PM

Petrofsky said:
I know you said you updated all drivers, but your problem sounds like motherboard drivers. I assume you're using onboard sound.

thanks for your reply , yes i'm using the audio sockets from the motherboard , i had thought with putting a fresh copy of everything on it would sort the issue , cos the way it's behaving did seem like a software issue , ive had similar issue's in the past with sound and vision and a driver reinstall usually sorted it , i'll try again to reinstall all the motherboard drivers and see what the outcome is, if it doesnt work i'll try the other sugestion from tlmck .

thanks again

a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2012 3:20:49 AM

icecream_71 said:
thanks for replying , as i cant afford to buy a new psu right now to test it out i think i'll try my old psu as ive had no issue with that and its a good way to test the theory , the reason i choose a 700w psu is i was going to up grade the ram to 16gb in the next few months and thought id need more power for that , but its more important i get the system running right first really , anyway i'll try the old psu and see if there's any diffrerance
i'll let you know what happens

thanks again

Ram does not take much wattage, so you will be fine with the old PSU and ram upgrade. For future reference, the only thing that may require a PSU upgrade is a more powerful video card. And when you do need a PSU upgrade, select one that is at least 80 plus certified. They are only slight more expensive, and very worth the money.
!