AM3+ Boards

cowboy44mag

Jan 24, 2013
I am considering upgrading my motherboard, but keeping everything else as is for a while. I am overall happy with my computer as I can play every game (even Crysis 3) on Ultra settings without noticeable drop in FPS (due mainly to my GPU, however my Phenom II 965 BE has served me well). A while back I was really considering going to Intel, however I have decided to stick with AMD and upgrade the one area of my computer I am not happy with - the Motherboard. My current Motherboard is a GA-M68MT-S2P. I was able to overclock my system to almost 4GHz, but recently had to scale back to 3.8GHz for stability as my motherboard couldn't handle it. So I would like some suggestions on a good AM3+ board. I want a board capable of solid overclocking (my current board won't even allow a multiplier above 19x) and one known for quality and stability. I would also like it ask if its known if AMDs Steamroller will use AM3+ boards? That is the main reason I'm thinking of this upgrade now- I can use all my current hardware and just get a Steamroller chip when I have to.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
+1^
But keep in mind that if you have an OEM ver of Win7, you may have to jump through some hoops when you go to Activate it at the MS site. OEMs are only licensed to the board they were originally installed on.

Bulldozer is going to be the last of the AM3+ and FM2 socketed processors from AMD according to reports. So, you should be fine for upgrading when it comes out. Be sure to get a board with a 900 Series chip set for best O/C'ing.

cowboy44mag

Jan 24, 2013
Thanks for the replies!! I think I have narrowed it down to two motherboards: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Socket AM3+ Motherboard and the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AMD AM3+ TUF Motherboard. Am I correct in thinking Asus makes the best motherboards for gaming? Of these two which one would be the better option? As stated I'm going to be using my current hardware for now (Phenom II 965 BE, Crucial Ballistix Tactical Ram -8GB 1333MHz, EVGA GTX 690- salvaged from a rich client who was going to throw it away :pt1cable: - all the money to buy the best technology but no idea how to use it type :kaola: ). Will probably upgrade processor to Steamroller at the end of this year or next year (or whenever I can't play games due to my processor and I need to upgrade it- hasn't happened yet though :D ).

cowboy44mag

Jan 24, 2013

So far I haven't seen any problems with the Phenom II 965 BE not keeping up with the GTX 690 even at only 3.8GHz, however I guess I haven't really "tested" it yet (benchmark tests). The most intense game I have would probably be Crysis 3, however I also play Far Cry 3, both on Ultra settings, and haven't had an issue yet. I have a feeling its because the GTX 690 has so much power its not even being challenged, especially considering I'm limited to 60fps because of my LED monitor limitation.

I figured that you meant Steamroller as Bulldozer was a big let down and has been out for awhile. I was going to upgrade sooner and go to Bulldozer, but going from a Phenom II 965 BE to a Bulldozer just didn't seem like a "upgrade", and I didn't pay much for my GTX 690- got it for $0.00 :pt1cable: I install and maintain security systems, our one client is very wealthy, but comes from "old money" is isn't too smart. He had some kind of Alienware computer I think with an i7 and all the bells and whistles. His wife was yelling at him for something while he was trying to load a game and it wasn't responding or something. I don't know if his drivers weren't right or what was wrong, but he opened the side and ripped the card out and threw it away. I asked if I could take it home and tinker with it, and he said have at it. Took me some time to bend the mounts back into shape but after installing and getting latest drivers and Precision X 4.0.0 I haven't had any problems at all with it. I know lots of people talk about the CPU bottle-necking the GPU but I haven't seen that happen yet, but maybe its because I have the fps targeted at 60 as my monitor can't handle more than that anyway. The only "problem" I've had so far is my wife is ticked because she currently has a GTX 550 Ti in her computer, so its hard to keep her off of mine :D

I would buy the Asus Formula V motherboard, however the more I look into it the more I'm not sure if Steamroller will use AM3+ boards or not. A lot of sources say they will and a lot say its still uncertain. I'm willing to bet $150 - $180 on a new board now, but I just don't want to risk $240 on a Formula V board that may not be able to upgrade to Steamroller. Of the two boards I'm looking at which one would be the better option?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
lol... That was one lucky contract/client you had. A GTX 690 for the cost of $0 is impossible to beat. Yes, the 965 will bottleneck it a bit, but like you say... the card has so much power and the cost so "reasonable" that it doesn't matter.
Steamroller will most assuredly use the AM3+ socket. But that, according to the latest from AMD, will be the last upgrade to the AM3+ socket.

cowboy44mag

Jan 24, 2013

Yea, I love that client. Like I said he comes from "old money" so never had to work for anything in his life, thinks he is God's gift to the world, and is thankfully lazy and not real smart. He is always calling because he forgets his access codes, thinkers with system and then doesn't think the security grid is working properly, makes for a lot of repeat business. not real smart, then again for the money he was born into he never has to be smart to be successful :fou: I'm just hoping I get another call in a month or so, maybe he'll have another meltdown with a GTX Titan :lol:

Thank you for the replies and information, I think that will be good enough for me. I am happy with my 965, and being able to upgrade to Steamroller when I need to will mean I should be set for at least 4 or 5 years. One more question for you guys, I was searching the internet to compare the Sabertooth to the Formula V and I found this: http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemdetail.aspx?itemid=1469085045&partno=CROSSHAIRVFORMULA-Z&rid=1

I've always lived by "if its too good to be true its a scam" and that is an amazing price. Does anyone know if memory 4 less is a reputable site? If this is for real it looks like I'm getting a Formula V-Z :sol:

cowboy44mag

Jan 24, 2013
Yea, almost as soon as I posted that link memory4less changed their add. They had the board advertised for $64.64. When I called they acted like it was in stock then when I started asking questions they quickly told me they were all sold out. Don't know if it was a refurbished board or what, but I don't think I will ever do business with them, just too shady. I'm either going to go with the Sabertooth or Formula Z, just haven't decided which one yet. The Formula Z of course has a lot going for it, but the Sabertooth is military spec which may be able to survive even my wife :lol: Thanks for all replies though.

A friend of mine also pointed out this board: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3947171&CatId=7247

Will go with one of the three, just not sure which one will best suit my needs without totally going overkill....