I7 875k or 920?

Here's the situation; I have an 4years old comp, that I am about to update!
I am gonna keep these hardwares:
psu750w
barracuda 7200.11 500gb
radeon 6850
and all the other various stuffs..

Here is what I will be needing;
MOBO
RAM
CPU

so I have that friend that has the 2 cited CPU that he would be willing to sell me for a GOOD price
he also has some RAM DDR3 1600 but he don't remember which amount and he might have some other too

the 875k is "unlocked" socket 1156
920k is basic, socket 1366

as I am really outdated, I am asking this community advices! Which cpu would you recommand?
I am all about best bang for my buck!

also, if you have any suggestion for mobo, please feel free to share!!

THanks!!!!!!!
39 answers Last reply
More about 875k
  1. Prices? Budget?
  2. How much do you want to spend on this update/rebuild?
  3. Without mentioning the prices you're paying for those CPUs we have trouble figuring out which is "best bang for my buck" or if there is a better price/performance option that a CPU series about to be 2 generations old.
  4. I have no idea how old these cpu are... or how much they're actually worth...
    I guess I am looking for something avg, that would be able to run these things, and like I said, I change my comp every 3-4years!

    I HATE overkill
    I want a mobo that will be able to run these with some good RAM, nothing more

    I would say I would buy a mobo that is worth about as much or a bit more than the CPU, and for the RAM, I wan't something that will run good (a bit more than avg), nothing overkill tho

    My friend is gonna tell me how much he is going to be selling me these cpu but I already know his price is gonna be much lower than market price
  5. Let us know when you hear about the prices for the 875K/920.
  6. but... the price doesn't really matter..
    just take for granted it's market price
    it is not gonna affect my budget on other stuffs, at all
  7. The 920 is better, as it can be overclocked CRAZILY! Why not sandybridge though? A 2500k should serve you very well...
  8. FwoGiZ said:
    the price doesn't really matter..
    What? The "best bang for my buck" guy says price really doesn't matter?
    DDR2 is more expensive than DDR3. 1156 MBs are less expensive than 1366 MBs.

    And, depending on the prices of CPUs you're looking at, something other than 875K/920 might end up being "best bang for my buck"
  9. these cpu will prolly be around 50$ ...
    so 1156mb dont have DDR3????
    how old are these cpu? I thought they were no more than a year old
  10. They do have ddr3, from 2009-2011.
  11. the 1366 processor is better than the1156. they were designed to be server grade, and got adopted by gamers and enthusiasts. The 875 is ok. with 1366 youll want the tri channel memory...3 sticks per bank. at one time thought about updating my system from 920 to a sandy bride, but not enough of a performance difference to justify my cost...running on an x58 mb...gigabyte variety...no complaints.
  12. I would go with 920...
    I know that 1366 based motherboards would be more expensive than 1156, but than 1366 gives you 2x16 PCIe instead of 2x8 PCIe; also triple channel DDR3 for nice memory bandwidth...

    but only one note: 920 is power hungry... ;)
  13. WOW... he's selling an 875k AND a 920 (both of which are worth quite a lot and performs extremely well [oc'd is comparable to a sandy bridge cpu]) for $50?!?!

    Shites! Buy both of em and sell one of em (i rec' the 875k) and put the $200+ you get into whatever. That's a steal right there even though it's an not the latest... both are still workhorses and powerful enough to do anything you want really.

    P.S. iirc, when i get my 920 back in 09... it was worth $270 something... probably be worth around $200 by now for a used one.
  14. lilotimz said:
    WOW... he's selling an 875k AND a 920 (both of which are worth quite a lot and performs extremely well [oc'd is comparable to a sandy bridge cpu]) for $50?!?!

    Shites! Buy both of em and sell one of em (i rec' the 875k) and put the $200+ you get into whatever. That's a steal right there even though it's an not the latest... both are still workhorses and powerful enough to do anything you want really.

    P.S. iirc, when i get my 920 back in 09... it was worth $270 something... probably be worth around $200 by now for a used one.



    $50 bucks is teh sex. im rocking 920 C0 stepping at 3.6ghz. rock solid for 2+ years and little to no bottleneck of my 7970.
  15. so the 875k doesn't have triple channel enabled?

    I don't want the best... I just want to be able to play BF3 !!!!!!! :P
    Right now, I am playin on a dual core E8400 oced 4.2ghz... 2x2gb DDR2 1000mhz
    so this will be quite an upgrade for very few money right?

    875k pros would be, easy OC, less expensiv mobo? what mobo would you recommand?
    cons would be RAM?

    920k pros would be good RAM, better speed?
    cons, more expensive mobo,? what mobo would you recommand for that one?

    and what about the RAM? I am a bit confused... I thought every DDR3 was triple channel..
  16. 920 is the way to go, it can easily be overclocked!
  17. isn't 2.66mhz slow?? I am used to 4.2ghz...
    kindo sucks 875k is better but doesn't have triple channel :(

    920 only have 1066mhz max RAM speed....

    are these things really worth it for gaming ? BF3
  18. FwoGiZ said:
    isn't 2.66mhz slow?? I am used to 4.2ghz...
    kindo sucks 875k is better but doesn't have triple channel :(

    920 only have 1066mhz max RAM speed....

    are these things really worth it for gaming ? BF3


    if u leave the 920 at 2.66 it does seem slow but the beauty of the chip is the ability to clock really well. ram speed is limited to what your 920 clock speed is set at. at default it will be 1066mhz... here is an article to read about ram:

    http://techreport.com/articles.x/15967/8

    as the article states:

    "Turning up the base clock allows for faster memory speeds, and given that the 920's memory bus multipliers are limited to 6X or 8X, you'll actually need DIMMs capable of running at faster than 1066MHz if you intend to push the base clock above 178MHz. Whether it's worth springing for DDR3-1600 modules over more affordable DDR3-1333 DIMMs will depend entirely on the applications you use and just how high you intend to push the base clock. You'll need to reach at least 200MHz to run 1600MHz DIMMs at full speed..."

    bare in mind the article is getting to be nearly 4 years old and ram has gotten to be so cheap that buying a pack of 3 2GB sticks is around 32 bucks. u just need the right board and some good bios settings...
  19. @ $50 it's a pretty good bargain - especially if its a D0 stepping with OC potential around ~3.8~4.0Ghz IRC.

    A Core i5-2500K would give you 4.5Ghz or closer to what a ~4.8~5.0 Ghz Core i7-920 would need to match it.

    --> Since you need a MB & RAM anyway no matter what CPU you end up with..
    For the CPU you're looking at $50 for a i7-920 or $220 for a Core i5-2500K
  20. My gigabyte x58 ud3r (rev 2) automatically bumped mine up to 2.8
    most ram is dual channel, there is tri channel. For the 1366 you want tri channel, I'm using 1600 in mine (adjust manually in bios). I have put together systems with both chips, and the 920 outperformed the 875.
  21. Tx a lot all of you for all this precious information... I am pretty decent at OCing, and used to the old DDr2 systems where you needed to make sure RAM, FSB and multipliers were in a 1:1 Ratio! From the few I know, it's much simplier nowadays right?

    So basically, get the cheap 920 cpu, get some mobo that can enable tri channel, and something up to 1600Mhz
    OC to 200mhz ONLY? (that looks so low to me haha... Im used to e8400)
    toss in 3x4gb DDR3 Ram 1600Mhz, stir with new OS and enjoy?

    Will I be able to to OC that much on air? I have pretty good fans in my case, and good case

    you recommand x58 for mobo?
  22. A normal D0 920 can overclock to a 4.0ghz easily. C0 usually get to around 3.6-3.8ghz which should be comparable to a sandy bridge CPU easily. Back then, i looked at Asus p6t x58 mobos and gigabyte ones but they're kinda getting hard to find...

    DDR3 -1333mhz ram is good enough (1600 has negligible gains) + a new OS and you're good to go. Not the latest but still kicking it hard and only slightly slower than a new sandy bridge (cheaper too).
  23. I guess it will be a C0 tho since he bought it a while ago! But I'll cross my fingers ;)

    Thanks a lot ;)
  24. np. Tell us how it goes.
  25. Both are amazing cpus but you have to figure which is the best overall investment. I got a 1156 build with an i5 760 @ 3.5ghz (mild overclock) and it doesn't miss a beat. The i7 920 is on par in most app with the i7 8xx at the same clock speeds. The tri channel memory controller only manages a meager 25gb/s while the dual channel 1156 memory controller in i5/i7 quad manage 21gb/s at their default clocks. Both overclock with ease.

    I would purchase both never know you might end up falling back on the other.
  26. FwoGiZ said:
    Tx a lot all of you for all this precious information... I am pretty decent at OCing, and used to the old DDr2 systems where you needed to make sure RAM, FSB and multipliers were in a 1:1 Ratio! From the few I know, it's much simplier nowadays right?

    So basically, get the cheap 920 cpu, get some mobo that can enable tri channel, and something up to 1600Mhz
    OC to 200mhz ONLY? (that looks so low to me haha... Im used to e8400)
    toss in 3x4gb DDR3 Ram 1600Mhz, stir with new OS and enjoy?

    Will I be able to to OC that much on air? I have pretty good fans in my case, and good case

    you recommand x58 for mobo?



    200mhz is actually the bclk frequency. 200mhz X 20 (locked multiplier) 4000mhz, 4.0ghz...i think lol! im pretty sure thats how it goes...its been ages since i had to mess round with my 920 bclk frequency. sitting at 180mhz or 3.6ghz.
  27. wow... all the experience showing through... the 920 at stock is a stunning chip even at 2.66 it shouldn't bottleneck a 7970. @3.6 there will be 0 bottleneck...
    and you will be in stock 2500k country performance wise... there really isnt that much of a difference until you turn up the ghz.
    its true the cpu supports up to 1066 ram but the motherboards can go up to 2100+ same as the intel i5 2500k supports 1333 but it too can go up to 2200+ via motherboard support.
    seriously some of you guys are deluded about how much more powerful the i5 is over the old neph parts. its actually less than 20% generally and as i say with a sweet stock voltage oc to 3.6 it can easily cope with todays more powerful cards...
    if i was faced with the ops choice i would go with the 875k because its overall cheaper and performs better than the 920 in most cases and the cpu can oc quite well, putting itself up there near the 2500k and so on...
  28. Being an unlocked processor....I'd go with the i7 875K. I've got the i7 870 myself and have had it clocked with 3.6ghz rather easily. I'm pretty sure the i7 875K should be able to clock a bit higher having an unlocked multiplier.
  29. sykozis said:
    Being an unlocked processor....I'd go with the i7 875K. I've got the i7 870 myself and have had it clocked with 3.6ghz rather easily. I'm pretty sure the i7 875K should be able to clock a bit higher having an unlocked multiplier.


    4ghz is a sure thing for most i5/i7 1156 quads and for the 875k it is the best for the socket.
  30. Well the 875k OR the 920 would be both 75$...
    I have a deal for 100$
    920 (C0) + 3x4gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz
    I gues the 875k would ultimately be slightly better than 920 in speed and stuffs, but it doesn't have triple channel right?

    I guess I'll just pick the 920, OC to 3.6Ghz, along with 3x4gb, win7, new heatsink and that mobo
    Sapphire Pure Black X58 ATX LGA1366 DDR3 3XPCI-E16 PCI-E1 SATA3 USB3.0 Audio GBLAN Motherboard
    ~140$
    http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=66934 [...] ure=Others

    What do you think???
    a mere 450$ and I'll have an almost brand new kickass machine... ;)
  31. I think 1366 is the way to go, since the 1156 platform is limited. I still have the Xeon version (W3520) of the 920 floating around, great chips. Cousin has the 875k, performs about on par, but the PCI-e lanes are a limiting factor, especially if you get something like a 7970.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5458/the-radeon-hd-7970-reprise-pcie-bandwidth-overclocking-and-msaa/1
  32. FwoGiZ said:
    Well the 875k OR the 920 would be both 75$...
    I have a deal for 100$
    920 (C0) + 3x4gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz
    I gues the 875k would ultimately be slightly better than 920 in speed and stuffs, but it doesn't have triple channel right?

    I guess I'll just pick the 920, OC to 3.6Ghz, along with 3x4gb, win7, new heatsink and that mobo
    Sapphire Pure Black X58 ATX LGA1366 DDR3 3XPCI-E16 PCI-E1 SATA3 USB3.0 Audio GBLAN Motherboard
    ~140$
    http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=66934 [...] ure=Others

    What do you think???
    a mere 450$ and I'll have an almost brand new kickass machine... ;)

    The average user will see absolutely no difference between dual channel and triple channel memory configurations with LGA1156 and LGA1366. The memory operations simply aren't heavy enough for the bandwidth difference to show.
  33. Alright...
    So what about THIS:
    i7-875k
    4x4gb 1600Mhz DDR3, 1.5v Corsair Vengeance
    ASUS P7P55 LX P55 100$ shipped!

    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1156/P7P55_LX/#specifications


    So basicallly, I have more OC capabilities with that cpu?

    Thanks for the infos and advices guys

    EDIT: Looks like I can't find a 1156mobo ....
  34. FwoGiZ said:
    Alright...
    So what about THIS:
    i7-875k
    4x4gb 1600Mhz DDR3, 1.5v Corsair Vengeance
    ASUS P7P55 LX P55 100$ shipped!

    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1156/P7P55_LX/#specifications


    So basicallly, I have more OC capabilities with that cpu?

    Thanks for the infos and advices guys

    EDIT: Looks like I can't find a 1156mobo ....


    If you're from the US:

    LGA1156 Motherboards from Newegg
  35. I am from Canada... there is that 1156 available but I dunno.. is this a good one???
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138162


    both are the same price including shipping...
    123$ for saphire x58
    117$ for biostar p55


    still a bit confused about which one to get..
    i'd get 3x4gb with the 920
    or 4x4gb with 875k
    but that wouldn't change much if anything
    same price...

    I am worried about the cheaper p55... that saphire x58 looks pretty good and complete, specially for the price

    what are the OC capacities of 875k?
  36. *gack* if the only boards available are biostar get the other chip. biostar boards are unreliable garbage. I tried one was using it, got one for my aunt and both boards the bios disappeared...t90 series. _(I think) nothing done to the boards, just up and I'm not gonna load the bios is gone. youll regret using their boards.
  37. I knew that, which is why I said go 1366 since the only *new* motherboards are made by Biostar.
  38. I obviously looked a bit everywhere, and can only find garbage p55 or cheaper h55...
    For not even 10$ more, I will have saphire x58 with many more fonctionalities and plugs so yeah!

    Once again, Thanks a lot to toms community !!!
    ;)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i7 Product